4WDVic DTU - Advanced Driver Training 24/25 June: Are you going & why?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:15
ThreadID: 34935 Views:2835 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, I'm thinking of enrolling on the association 4x4 Advanced course during this winter period to gain more insight into tackling difficult terrain etc. It is described as extreme but sounds as though it is not really 'full on', just serious. Steep hills, winching, recovery.

Anybody done it ???

What did you think ??

It's at Tallarook, what's the terrain like there?

Anybody else going??

Cheers
BoB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:34

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2006 at 21:34
Bob at the last course they rolled a car so yes it is fairly full on. The property at Tallarook has some very tricky sections which will test the most seasoned of drivers particually some of the rock ledges & side slopes. You will come away with a true indicatioin of how far your car will actually go before tipping ;-).
Not sure if they go for a drive in the area after the course but if they do ask to go up the "Telstra" & "Sweaty Palms" tracks. Should keep you busy for a while:-))
You may have noticed on the application they suggest you don't bring any of the softer 4by's, & for good reason.
Have fun........Craig.....
AnswerID: 178519

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 11:53

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 11:53
Craig,

I am flabbergastered at what you have just said.........dumb-struck!!!!!!!!!

I simply cannot believe (I don't dis-believe what you are saying) that any responsible driver-trainer would allow a trainee to place themselves or their vehicle in a perilous position during a training exercise.

The 3 most important things about any driver training/instruction are :

1) SAFETY
2) SAFETY
3) SAFETY

I realise you're talking about "Advanced" level, but that is still no excuse IMHO. Whether it be in a training scenario or in a 'real-life' situation, if the driver or trainer is not 100% confident about the track's stability, vehicle's capability, driver's capability etc etc, you simply DON'T attempt it (unless you're in an otherwise life-threatening situation I guess.....like a bushfire is roaring up on you from behind and you HAVE to get out of that rocky creek bed etc etc.

Unbelievable!!!!!! Still shaking my head in disbelief!!!!!

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 434811

Follow Up By: cowpat - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 15:00

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 15:00
All the good tracks will probably be closed/gated this week, including Phone track, although that's not to say they might not have a key(?).

In general Tallarook Forest is a low-stress kind of place in that if you can't make it through somewhere you can almost always just reverse out and go back the way you came. It's getting very busy these days. Casper
FollowupID: 434838

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 17:03

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 17:03
Wasn't at the course myself so can't fully comment on how well or otherwise it was run but the vehicle in question (a Landrover) had some ongoing suspension issues that apparently weren’t declared to the instructor. Feedback from 2 of our members said it was however an excellent course.
I suppose the problem with an advanced course is that vehicles must be pushed somewhere near their limits or it wouldn't be advanced training as just talking about how you should drive is only half of the syllabus.
& you're right Casper.......I forgot about the seasonal closures.
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 434864

Sponsored Links