Considering Tyres to Purchase

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 13:56
ThreadID: 34953 Views:1883 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I'm driving my 98 3.5L Pajero from Melbourne to the Kimberley later this year. Trying to decide what tyres to purchase and where from in Melbourne.
I'm looking for 6 tyres (2 spare) plus rims for all the tyres.

Can anyone make any recommendations on tyres and prices to pay?

Cheers,
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cowpat - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 14:30

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 14:30
Steve, my first recommendation is that you get LT rated tyres. Secondly, for the Kimberley the width, size, tread pattern etc is not going to make much difference, but I prefer at least AT tread for better grip on the dirt eg BFG AT, Cooper ST, but highway tyres will give you better economy.

If you're going to drive about in the Victorian forests before/after however it'll be a big advantage to get the biggest legal size tyres of decent width, preferably mud terrains or similar eg BFG MT, Cooper STT, Goodyear MTR.

Have a good trip, Casper
AnswerID: 178626

Reply By: hopscotch - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 15:28

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 15:28
Steve,

Ran all over the NW this time last year in a 2000 NM Exceed towing a CT.
The recommendation that you consider LTs is a good one for the rough rocky roads once you get to the Kimberleys but as the man says there is many a mile to be travelled afore you get there and the LTs are just a little 'stiffer' on the bitumn.
I ran Yokohama ATs on the Pajero and Trail Cutter R/Ts (Cooprs) on the CT.
The only problems were two tyres on the CT destroyed by stones new Lawn Hill - Riversleigh and a nail through the wall of a Yokohama whilst driving down a main road in Darwin.
The one thing about the rocks in the Kimberley is that they do not discriminate by brand. One fellow traveller did in two Coopers on his CT on the Gibb. Slashed walls. Two reasons. !. I believe he had reduced his pressure too much to handle the corrugations and 2. These were tyres he had thrown off the HiLux so they had reduced rubber.
In my opinion pick a tread pattern which will handle both highway and gravel. Mud is not generally much of a problem during the 'dry' season but the more rubber you can put on the road the better. Yes up your size to the maximum. I was running 275s knowing that this was not quite in order but it certainly helped with the terrain.
Watch your pressures. Summer temperatures on the bitumn can increase your tyre pressure dramatically. On the Gibb I found it was better to put up with a bit of corrugation pounding than to run the pressures too low on the rocky bits. You have to compromise as the conditions can change every ten or so K's.
The NM had alloys. The CT was steels.
Enjoy yourselves. It is a wonder world.
Kevin J
AnswerID: 178633

Reply By: greydemon - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 15:55

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 15:55
A frequent topic of conversation when I was up the Gibb River area was tyre pressure rather than tyre make. There seem to be two schools of thought. The Low Pressure people argue that you are less likely to get punctures with softer tyres as there is more give so the stake/nail doesn't go through - like a soft balloon. Also soft tyres are more comfortable on the corrugations.

The High Pressure people feel that on the corrugations cause an enormous amount of side wall flexing and heat build up and most tyre damage up there is side wall failure. Apparently, according to my nephew who lives in Broome, the Police and Prison Service run on very hard tyres.

As for me - I haven't a clue. The first few dead tyres I saw were indeed side wall damage, but I ran on high pressure and totally wiped out the side wall of one tyre. I then managed three more 'normal' punctures in the next 20km and that was the only problem in 3500kms.

It seems to me that as long as you have half decent tyres everything else comes down to luck - try hanging one of those fat smiling buddas from your mirror, give him a sprig of heather to hold and hang a St Christopher round his neck - that should fix it.
AnswerID: 178636

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 17:29

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 17:29
goodday steve from steve
i am having fitted this sat a set of goodyear wrangler silent armour AT,s which are a 50%road and 50% offroad tyre
they are being fitted at beaurepaires bridge rd richmond a very good price on the recomendation of another eo member who had muddies fitted at the same place
ps neither of us are involved with the tyre place

steve
AnswerID: 178652

Follow Up By: Moose - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:24

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:24
G'day Steve
Just for interest sake are you willing to divulge what the price is down there? I've done a bit of ringing around up here in Brissie and I've gotten down to $145 fitted and balanced. So how does that compare?
Thanks from the Moose.
FollowupID: 435046

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:31

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:31
Did ya get em yet Steve?
FollowupID: 435061

Follow Up By: Old Scalyback & denny - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:23

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:23
goodday gents
1 truckie tomorrow morning but on reading mooses q i might drive to qld and get a set

moose my wranglers are going to cost $254 a corner what sort of tyres have you been priced on ??????

steve
FollowupID: 435092

Follow Up By: Moose - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:28

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:28
Steve
Sorry mate - it's a typo - should say $245 (must learn to double check what I type!). I should also have mentioned they're 265/75/16s.
Cheers
Moose
FollowupID: 435094

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:30

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:30
I haven't got a clue which tyres are best,

BUT!!!!

I can recommend you fit a tyre that will be readily available in any larger town. I run Pro Comps Muddys..... love 'em.... think they're brilliant tyres!!!!! but last year I staked one and had to get one from Melbourne 'cos no-one local had 'em.... and it cost me almost another $100 in freight. Thankfully I wasn't getting it freighted to Weipa or somewhere!!!!!!
So my next tyres will be something that I can buy anywhere.

Just my opinion

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 178661

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:53

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:53
$100 in freight? FFS you got reamed... Dude on OL paid less for 4x36 swampers from Melb to Qld..
FollowupID: 435078

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:49

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:49
I organized the freight.... (I organize freight a lot,) and one tyre from Mel to GC is exxy......
FollowupID: 435098

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 20:37

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 20:37
should have ordered 5!
FollowupID: 435154

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 07:10

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 07:10
Bruce,

Couldn't afford 'em... they were four months old when I staked one :-(

I went to my tyre guy that I use and he tried everywhere to get one local, but the only people that had stock at the time was Pro Comp in Melbourne.. I rang them as well, I rang the BrisVegas distributor, I rang everyone!! Meanwhile we;
A) Didn't have a spare
B) Had trips to go on :-))

So I had to bite the bullet and be ripped off. Learnt me a big lesson there, and next tyres will be, shall we say, a more popular breed?
And while we're on tyres, whats your opinion on mixing brands front to rear? Say Pro Comp on the front and say BFG's onthe rear, all muddies. Any drama with that??

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 435203

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:37

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:37
yea understand what ya mean about 'popular'.

I looked at the Yoko Geo2's for the pathy, but nowhere on earth could supply me a 5th for a spare! "3mth wait mate on that"...
bollox, so went mainstream tires.
FollowupID: 435292

Reply By: DamoHJ61 - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:25

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:25
Hi Scoops, I have Toyo AT open country on my vehicle, they are great on the open road, very little noise, good ride, perform quite well in the twisty stuff and in the braking department, they cope well in off road situations.
The big BUT to all of this is that they are woeful in clay, I hit a very small patch of clay at the base of a water control mound and struggled for traction up the hill, I even considered engaging 4wd but as there was a Ford Territory tagging along and I would never be allowed to forget the incident, particularly after bagging the gent for being too cheap to buy a real 4wd, I kept my foot into it and made it through.
Very disapointing performance to an otherwise terrific set of tyres.
BF Goodrich AT....?
AnswerID: 178688

Reply By: Stiphodon - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:37

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:37
I have Toyo OPATS ATs too. Have owned desert duelers and goodyear wranglers before, but these are a class above. Taken them all over the Cape, excellent wear and traction - havent hit the clay yet though
AnswerID: 178690

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:54

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:54
I'll back up Old Scaley.

I paid $70 PER TIRE less than anywhere else on my 285 MTR's

John
Beaurepaires
Bridge rd
Richmond
AnswerID: 178809

Reply By: South - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:37

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:37
Scoops, we did this trip last year in a 95 3.5L pajero. I choose Cooper ST 31x10.5x15LT and they worked like a charm. Tyres came back looking brilliant, no tears in the lugs, no cuts on the sidewalls and no punctures, absolutely mint!

We ran 28psi (cold) f&r on dirt/gravel roads, and 38psi (cold) f&r on bitumen. Tyre wear for the 9000+km trip was 3mm on the rear, and 2mm on the front. A year later the tyres are now down to about 10mm tread depth from the original 14mm. Tyres have done roughly 20,000kms in that time.

If I were you, I'd go for 265/75/16 for the extra clearance, although with that said, the rear diff never came close to bottoming out in the rocky areas. Obviously the front being IFS, the diff is tucked up nice and high.

AnswerID: 178924

Sponsored Links