Where do you keep your spare car key?

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:14
ThreadID: 34958 Views:3720 Replies:17 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
I walked past this car the other day and what I saw prompted me to ask the quesiton, Where do you keep your spare kay? On the car or on the co-driver or where? Obviously this driver has keenly answered the question, Can you see it in Pic 1 below?

Oh there it is, carefully secured

hehehehehe

The things you see when you dont have your Leatherman.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:24

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:24
LOL.... That's a beauty Bonz!!

Actually my SWMBO locked the keys in the Patrol yesterday while parked at the school at pick up time. She was trying to break in and attracted a few watchers.... one of whom is an off-duty policeman who knows who we are through school etc and obviously knew it was our truck she was trying to break into. So he offered to help, as did a few others, and another mum there drove my SWMBO home for the spare keys. When she returned they were still trying to break in. Apparently the policeman was surprised he couldn't "pop" the lock...... At this point in the story I reminded SWMBO that a few years ago I had fitted anti-theft covers over the locking mechanisms in the doors so that the locks couldn't be lifted.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" says She, "Now I remember!!!"

AnswerID: 178660

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:28

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:28
Thats interesting Brian. My GQ is unlockable without the key.
FollowupID: 434875

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:31

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:31
How so Willem??
FollowupID: 434877

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:43

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:43
Brian

If one locks the drivers door and then you shut it, the doorlock pin pops back up.

Must be an upmarket model......LOL
FollowupID: 434880

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:44

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:44
LOL.... clever Willem!!
FollowupID: 434881

Follow Up By: fnq triton - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:11

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:11
what happens if you have your doors locked with your boot open then put your keys in the boot and close it?

I thought my old vr commondore was the same as yours and i couldn't lock my keys in it untill one day we were out at a town called Bruce in the flinders ranges and a mate of mine needed my jack. so i open the boot with the keys, put the keys on the floor, get the jack and close the boot. took the raa bloke 4 hours to get to us and 10 mins to get the boot open.
FollowupID: 434885

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:38

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:38
My truck has barn doors and unless I leave the keys inside and then physically lock the door then it is locked.

Interesting subject.....so I went out into the cold and checked that if the passenger leans over and locks the drivers door, then depresses the door lock pin on the passengers door and shuts it....then the whole vehicle is locked.

Having lived in Alice Springs where the motto is 'Lock it or lose it' I never leave my keys in the vehicle. Never. Even if stopped for a short while. If I leave the vehicle running I can't lock my door anyway.

Still, we are prone to Senior Moments..........LOL
FollowupID: 434891

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:04

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:04
My truck obviosly has barn doors also, and a cargo barrier! My youngest son locked the FRONT doors (all 4) one time but thankfully the barn doors were still unlocked, but even so it was a 15 minute job to get the lock buttons up!!! From memory we only had an umbrella in the car at the time to use as a lock "pick"....

When I bought the GQ I was told by a fairly reputable source..... (Someone here on EO I think) that GQ's were easy to steal thanks to an "un-protected" locking mechanism, so I made metal covers to fit over the mechanism in the door so it can't be broken into that way...... but a pain when one of us (SWMBO) locks the keys in......
FollowupID: 434898

Follow Up By: Wisey (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:36

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:36
Hi Brian

Thanks for that. I'll look at it as soon as I can. It's prol'y easier to "pop" the lock than to pull the trim off and add security.

Cheers
Andy
FollowupID: 434907

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:39

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:39
No worries mate.... have a good night!
FollowupID: 434909

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:48

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:48
Our old '91 Maverick (GQ) was the same Willem, to lock the doors you had to leave the back door open reach in and around and push down the front lock then close the back door all closed. Of course you could also use the key in the lock and do the lot, I love central locking.

I nearly went and got my whoteboard pen, that I write notes on the car window with, and wrote a note to the driver telling them of their folly. But I managed to restrain myself :)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 434931

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:33

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:33
Where do you keep your spare key ?? as the old saying goes ,"Ill tell you but then I would have to kill you "
AnswerID: 178664

Reply By: RupertDog - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:40

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:40
Bonz

Creates an interesting question, especially when insurance comes into play !!

I am sure that the insurance company would love to know that the spare key is hanging off the licence plate (Mind you who would want to steal a Starlet?)
I seem to recall that in WA it is illegal to have a spare key left on the car - It is definately illegal to leave your keys in your car, if you are not in it.

A more modern question would be "where do you hide your spare remote?"

I know I access my RAV only by remote, still have the key, but the remote has an immobilser in it that cannot be overuled. Lost remote or flat battery and car goes nowhere !!

RD
AnswerID: 178665

Reply By: agsmky - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:40

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:40
Securely locked in my glovebox :-)

Andrew
AnswerID: 178666

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:52

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 18:52
Bonz
Mines usually in my wallet BUT a funny thing happened the other week.
My alarm was playing up so they sent module? away for repair. When the alarm was returned and fitted it also had an auto lock feature activated when engine starts (didn't before). So as I was preping to go to work, start car to warm up walk away to do something and door swings shut. Yes the spare remote and key (from wallet) is still inside. A couple of calls to the supplier to let them know my feeling about this new feature and how the f was I going to get out of the poo I was in. "Oh sorry there's sfa we can do, call the nrma, I'm NOT a member. GRRR
Bugger me, in less than a minute and I was in with magic wire, I was shocked. PHEW, with little time to spare.

Brian, If you can part with the details for your door anti theft feature I would be most greatful and I'm sure many others could also benefit.

Regards
Andy
AnswerID: 178669

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:21

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:21
Andy,
No problems.... I got the idea off someone here at EO I think..... a couple of years back! So I am happy to share it. I got told GQ's are easy to break into, using the coat hanger down the sill between window outer rubber and glass to hook the lock rods up.

I took the door inside panels off, had a look up the inside towards the lock mech where there are some metal rods that work the lock/handle mech. Using cardboard as a template I made covers out of sheet metal, and then unscrewed the nuts that hold the whole mech in place and put the cover over the lot, securing them with the nuts. Very simple and very effective.

Hope this helps.

FollowupID: 434904

Reply By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:46

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:46
That's amazing, great number plate also.

Mines in my wallet, my wallet is always in my pocket and my pocket is attached to my strides.
AnswerID: 178679

Follow Up By: martz8 - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:51

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:51
Wallet also. Only need one key to get in. Windows are costly

Marty
FollowupID: 434894

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:02

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 20:02
Yeah I had to smash a window many years ago. Got out to fix a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere, locked myself out with the engine running....idiot!
FollowupID: 434896

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:12

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:12
If someone finds your wallet, they just need to go to your address, and then drive the car away. :-)

mike
FollowupID: 434919

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:38

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:38
yes Ray very apt that number plate

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 434929

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:07

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:07
"Mines in my wallet, my wallet is always in my pocket and my pocket is attached to my strides"....

not married?...:)))))
FollowupID: 434974

Follow Up By: signman - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:23

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:23
Mines in my wallet, my wallet is always in my pocket and my pocket is attached to my strides.....OK..and your srtides are hangin over the end of the bed!!!!
FollowupID: 434992

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:52

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 19:52
Well Bonz,

If you drove an 80 Series Landcruiser, you would keep the spare key in your wallet. The key is made of alluminium and sits in a plastic protector. It is only designed for emergency use, but it does open the drivers door and does start the vehicle....very handy. Obviously your Nissan is lacking in another area...hahahaha.

Cheers and it is good to see your eye sight is still so good.

Glenn
AnswerID: 178683

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:37

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:37
hahah If I had a 80series I would be wanting someone to nick it jajajajaja German giggling heheheh

I USED to have 2 keys for the Nissan, only one now

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 434928

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:24

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:24
"I USED to have 2 keys for the Nissan, only one now"
Bonz, are you saying that you gave one key of the Nissan away and they still won't take it.
That's Ego deflating.
FollowupID: 434993

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:52

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:52
I am not saying anything Des Marie had it and then she didnt have it but she didnt lose it, and its not lose anyway its just temporarily inaccessable

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 434999

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:16

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:16
There's one way to make sure you NEVER EVER lock your keys in the car - NEVER EVER put the keys down inside the car.

But I'm human, and you can lose keys, so I also have a key concealed outside.

Mike
AnswerID: 178694

Reply By: Bros 1 - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:31

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:31
Bonz,
I keep my spare key hanging up on the wire mesh window protector in the back of the open tray. Two bits of fence wire bent to the right shape. LOL.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 178695

Reply By: Laura B - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:58

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 21:58
the in-laws keep their spare key at the bottom of the shoalhaven river!! went swimming and it fell out!! oh well!!

our spare key is in the draw at home....oh no...hang on .....what draw!!!!?????

Laura B

ps...longtim eno talk..sorry...computer just got fixed!!
AnswerID: 178700

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 22:15

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 22:15
Ours is there too Laura, at home. Got a prescribed hook for it. Judith Kempen cow painting.
FollowupID: 434946

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 22:44

Thursday, Jun 15, 2006 at 22:44
Not telling, I know the ploy. Lucy told me your out to knick a Troopy!!
You're not getting mine!!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 178708

Reply By: Member No 1- Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:16

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:16
as most keys now come with immobiliser making the key fat, creating ones wallet uncomfortable and to prevent getting locked out ie. leaving keys in car, i have a key cut just to open door...its a flat key similar to old 80 series concept and is more comfortable in ones wallet....downfall of this is that I cant start the car if keys are lost...but i do have spares at home
AnswerID: 178737

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:55

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:55
G'day Bonz,

There was a similar thread about this last year some time but that thread had the added excitement of a possible loss of one's key while travelling. That makes it all the more interesting for those keeping spares at home! I would imagine that locking or loosing keys takes on a whole different dimension if it were to happen in some remote place. I can tell you it happened to me when I (had some debate with SWMBO about this) managed to leave them in a packed camper (didn't know this at the time) but it was simply get the spare and away we were.

Kind regards

PS Make sure you have a good dry place for a spare on the car when travelling.
AnswerID: 178754

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:15

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:15
Hmmm I recall that thread, I also recall someone else having to unpack the camper cause the keys were in the p[ocket of the jeans beside the mattress hehehe

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 435009

Reply By: V8Diesel - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:33

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:33
The whole 'keeping the spare key at home' concept provides me with much mirth and amusement. (My mother in-law does it) It's not exactly 'rocket surgery' is it? I think most 3 year olds could grasp the 'cause and effect' principles involved.

Here's some other 'top tips'. Save fuel by leaving all spare tyres at home in the shed to reduce weight. Or lower current draw on the alternator by running a really long extension cord direct from the solar panels at home for the headlights too.
AnswerID: 178770

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 14:25

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 14:25
I keep mine at home around town, but when we go away it goes with us (I won't say where!).

It's bloody good thing too, I went for a dive off a surf cat out in the ocean to untangle some rope from the deep sea rudders while we were in Margaret river, discovered shortly after climbing back aboard that my key's AND imobilsor remote where still in my pocket!! :-O

Good thing we had the spare!

I did a REALLY REALLY REALLY DUMB thing yesterday though!! I'd been playing around with my air horns, and had moved some of the truppets on the chasis rails. Anyway, I dropped my boy at school and had my 18month old girl in the car. I got home and had noticed the horns banging (they had come loose), so I turned the engine off and took Steph's seatbelt off (she absolutally LOVES running around inside the car, she goes bananans!! Grabs the steering wheel pretends she's driving etc, she's completely safe as she can't reach the handbrake on the dash and it's an auto that you cannot take out of park unless you put your foot on the brake at the same time). So I let her play around in the car, left the key's in the ignition, hoped out and quickly climbed under the car to inspect the noise.

Suddenly I here ... CHIRP!

I stopped dead in my tracks and thought, oh crap, the little buggers worked out how to push the imobilsor button...

then I thought: Oh bugger, she's locked herself in.

then I thought: I'll just grab the spare keys from inside and unlock the door in a second.

then I though: OMFG I havn't unlocked the house yet! THE HOUSE KEYS ARE IN THE CAR!

So I scooted out from under the car and ran around to the driver door where she was in the car laughing at me, having a ball! Then I notice that I hadn't completly latched the drives door. I pushed it and the lock popped up and I was IN!

PHHHHEEEWWWW!! Man I felt dumb! Imagine calling the missus and asking her to come home from work to that I could get her daughter out of the car! :-| I don't think she would have been impressed!
FollowupID: 435054

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 17:32

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 17:32
Yep. A spare key kept at home is about as handy as half a scissor.
FollowupID: 435114

Reply By: Michael B - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:59

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:59
Wish I could find mine Bonz, put it somewhere for 'safe keeping' a couple of weeks ago.

Soon as I get another betcha Murphy turns up with original....lol

Cheers
Michael B
AnswerID: 178775

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 21:05

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 21:05
I've got mine in a magnet box down the back. Been over heaps of corro's and it's never moved.

Now the ignition tumbler's stuffed, I've gotta leave the spare key in the ignition until I pick up a new one, with it sitting on ACC. Have specially dedicated rubbish bag to hide the obvious from passers by, and am relying on the immobiliser to keep it locked. Not the best situation, but gotta do what I gotta do to get it started.

And if you hide your key on the vehicle, don't forget about the immobiliser. not much point of a key without an immobiliser.

BTW, talk about locking keys in car:
Aquaintence with a 4WD, new to him, managed to lock the doors with the engine running, his hazards on and parked in the middle of a suburban street. Sat their idling for ages. RAC wouldn't service him cos he hadn't got around to adding this new vehicle to his registered fleet, wife was out so couldn't bring spare key from 45 min away.

So he got a woman from the group we were meeting with to phone RAC and pretend to be his wife as the membership was in wifes name, then add 4WD to list, then RAC would come out. I left them with a perplexed RAC bloke wondering how he was going to get around this one.

Tank was running low too, so the next problem was him running out of fuel, needing to bleed system etc etc etc. He probably won't be doing THAT again soon!

AnswerID: 178854

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 19:41

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 19:41
During the week the spare keys sit in my brief case as the original stays in my pocket.
when travelling it sits in the centre consul.
if I an unfortunate eneough to lose a key or lock myself out while travelling I am quite prepared to see a window go if I cannot pop the lock.Chances are pretty slim though as mostly iIdont lock it. only an arab with his own oil well would pinch it anyway.
there is always a few other sets with shmbo and hanging on the wall at home.
Did bolt one inside the cap on the pole carrier that was on the roofrack but that lasted 1 day until the lid vibrated off along the freeway. never did find the key although it was fun dodging the tent poles falling out as I braked from 100kph after seeing the lid slid down the bonnet.
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 178974

Sponsored Links