Aldi air compressors

Submitted: Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:48
ThreadID: 34977 Views:5711 Replies:9 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone used the air compressor they have on sale for $100 it says it pumps at 72litres /min which is twice the spec of my ARB unit....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: signman - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:56

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:56
Picked up one yesterday...tried it out on a flat spare..seemed to pump it up ok..although I didn't time it/
Looks to be a solid unit & didn't get too hot.
I think it is off the same production line of a Bushranger model.

I was chattin to an importer last week, and he was saying (with the Chinese), they will run an order of a particular item of say 20000 thru for an order(say Bushranger)...then seeing as its tooled up- they run out an extra 10 or 20000 of the self same item, then flog em off with a different (or no) label..
AnswerID: 178755

Follow Up By: MikeyS - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:55

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:55
Clients of mine have told similar stories. The message to Bushranger, or anyone else getting a product made in China, is to keep a very close eye on the manufacturer and protect your intellectual property. Assuming the Aldi product has come off the same production line (after the machine was inadvertantly not turned off!) and is probably of identical spec. it's going to be much harder for Bushranger to compete. They have to cover their design and engineering costs- Aldi doesn't. Smart operators like Aldi will make the most of unprotected products. Lower prices is good for local consumers but the competition is bad for local businesses who then have to compete against products they have effectively developed themselves.
FollowupID: 435029

Follow Up By: hl - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:10

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:10
Hi,

What makes you think they designed it in the first place?

Cheers
FollowupID: 435041

Follow Up By: signman - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:21

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:21
Yup..thats about right hl..they are probably marketed worldwide under different brands...I reckon they would not be a Bushranger (or any other brand) patent or design..
I do import a few items direct from Hong Kong...and it's truly amazing as to what is available & what prices...
FollowupID: 435045

Follow Up By: MikeyS - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:16

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:16
Good point indeed hl. My warning was that if you do design something and get it manufactured by someone else, particularly in China, make sure you keep the bustards(sic) honest. They can end up being your worst competitor.
FollowupID: 435091

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:22

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:22
It isnt just China....a friend of mine built his own camper trailer, then took it to another person to make the canvus....it was such a good design....
This other person, (who shall be nameless, as he was a distributor in NSW) offered my friend a deal, where as my friend made a trailer for him for show purposes, (and he made the top) and then he would take orders for my mate...my friend went into building them.....well, unknown to my friend, the other distributor had his design coppied, and my mate didnt get any money for the trailer he made him...
Some of you probably own these Newcastle made trailers with independant suspension, whose design came from Wollongong.
Andrew
FollowupID: 435276

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:56

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 09:56
Twice the spec for 10% of the life I hazard a guess
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 178756

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:14

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:14
Aldi generally has high quality control standards, although they deal in a limited range of "home brand" items. I remeber reading about the founadtion of the company, and it's philosophy and it is pretty much to have one product that is of above average quality in a sector, thereby reducing the need to spend large sums on marketing a variety and range of items within the same sector. The stock is sourced from reputable manufacturers in "very quiet" deals, guarding both the manufacturer and Aldi from cross competition.

For all their "cheap" image, you don't seem to hear many reports about poor quality from them.

Food for thought....(LOL)
FollowupID: 435006

Reply By: pmacks - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:24

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:24
Hi Guys
Dont know about the aldi one but i have the bushranger copy i bought of ebay for $99.00 two years ago it has been brilliant for what i use it for. I only use it to air up after driving on the beach ect so four tyres from 20 psi to 38 ps is no problem. i relize it is not a bush ranger, or arb or blue tongue but for me it has proved to be good value for money and in practice it only gets used about 10 times a year so i guess it depends on the anticipated usage, if you are using it every day save your money and buy well known brand like bushranger but for occasional use mine has been great.
Ok i am ducking now
pmacks
AnswerID: 178760

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:52

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:52
I guess it is like maturing of a manufacturing state we are seeing too in this, the maufacturing for winches and the like. Remember when Japanese manufacturers made junk anyone? You have to be over 50s here for that one, after the war they made copies of good werstern products.

Now we are seeing manufacturers getting towards quality control standards of western producers and the price is still low but the quality control is improving.

There are margins though for some of the products and Aldi knows a lot. I bought one of their tablet DVD players with an inbuilt screen a couple of months back $299 was their price and I got one with the box - marked "Made for Aldi" on it at $194 landed at my door
AnswerID: 178762

Reply By: madcow - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:10

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:10
Go and have alook at Big W. Same compressor there for $89.00. Supercheap were selling them as well but at a dearer price! I've had mine for 2 years now and is still going strongly.
AnswerID: 178766

Reply By: Shawsie (Bris) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:11

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:11
I bought a 'heavy duty' compressor from BigW for $70. It had 72lt/min on it and it looked identical to Bushranger & Max Air. It work heaps better than my prvious one and so far has not broken down. Go for it! I'll be trying out their 300w inverter very soon.
AnswerID: 178767

Reply By: Emo - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:54

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:54
My Project Cyclone compressor is holding up pretty well after I fix the heat cut out problem so I'm not sure I can justify spending $100 on another compressor. I will certainly be picking up one of their inverters thought. 300 watts with twin outlets for $59. That is a great price.
AnswerID: 178773

Follow Up By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 12:03

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 12:03
i was looking at the inverters yesterday & they were only single outlet (but still a good deal)
FollowupID: 435032

Follow Up By: madcow - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:45

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:45
they were showing a dual outlet in the catalogue. Still a good price though!
FollowupID: 435048

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:41

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 13:41
I love all these people who say all these compressors are identical. They are not, even physically they are different. There are subtle differences, but they are there if you look at them side by side. I know, because I did just this.

I'm not saying that for occasional use they won't work, just don't go buying them expecting the exact same product as one twice the price, I will assure you it's not. I used to import electronics for a local wholesaler from Taiwan and China and the whole "made in the same factory" storey you always here maybe true on occasion, but don't think that because they use the same outter case they fill it with all the same parts. It just is not so. Beleive me or don't belive me - I really don't give a crap, but it's how it is. I had the choice on most products of different "grades" of product. Some without certain components, some with stickers rated more than the actual rating, identical looking of course. It is common practice. In fact I used to get shocked looks when I actually wanted my UPS's and Power supplies to ACTUALLY BE the rating that was written on them. ie They wanted to know if I wanted my 300w power supplies to be 200w or 250w. It was an expectation that I wouldn't want to pay for 300w ones, I would just want the stickers to say 300w.

In saying this though, I love a bargin as much as the next guy, and some of this "stuff made in the same factory" is not bad for what you pay for it, and it all depends on you're intended use.

As far as air compressors go, I had two cheap one's and melted both of them. Over here in the summer, we are always down the beach, pumping 4 or 8 tyres up from 10-16psi in 40c+ temps is a common occourance.

I ended up going for the blue tounge, it runs everyday pumping my air tank up to 120psi and is not too bad out on the track. Yeah it's a little slower, but IMHO slow and steady wins the race. ie I don't give a crap if it takes me 5mins longer, as long as I know I'm not going to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with 10psi in all my tyres (happened once before, you learn from you're mistakes!). Besides with my air tank setup I get one tyre infalted "for free" from the tank, then pump up the other 3. Because I have a dash mounted pressure guage and everything is hard wired, I just plug the tyre into the outlet and sit in the aircon till it's down. It don't bother me it if itakes a few minutes longer! It's easy, and for me, that's the important part.
AnswerID: 178783

Follow Up By: signman - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:05

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:05
Ah...sorry to say JeffM...but in this case,,they ARE identical..
We've just pulled a Bushranger branded one down (borrowed from the local 4WD shop to see if they are different ??)...and the Aldi one...
even got down to weighing the piston & barrel..
the 'sparks' did a test on the motors....identical!!!
FollowupID: 435057

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:12

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:12
Well you can't argue with a good test, however what I said was not just reffering to the Aldi one. ie I doubt the $79 BigW or the $179 Supercheap or the $199 Repco or the MEGAGRUNT would be the same. In fact I know they are not, as the air inlet is in a different position on the Megagrunt to the Bigw and supercheap ones.

So yeah, fantastic, if the ALDI one's are identical then brilliant, I might even get one as a second compressor and mount it in the storage box, however I wouldn't want people reading this post to go and buy a supercheap or bigw one and belive they are getting exactly the same products because someone said "they were made in the same factory".

If you get what I mean.
FollowupID: 435058

Follow Up By: Emo - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:46

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:46
Did you really pull both units apart? I don't suppose you took any photos?

I reckon I might have to have a closer look when I pick up an inverter tomorrow.
FollowupID: 435074

Follow Up By: signman - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:58

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:58
Nah..didn't take any pics..didn't do the exersise to justify the result to anyone..just for our own interest sake (and had and hour to spare)..
FollowupID: 435080

Follow Up By: Emo - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:12

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:12
Pity, that would have been really good. I remember someone pulling a genuine Bushranger and a clone apart a while ago and whilst the wo looked identical outside, inside they were very different.

If you reckon they are the same, then I might just have to pick one up.
FollowupID: 435087

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 17:18

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 17:18
I was with a company that went through the same thing over 10 years ago when we were installing a piping system in a plant. Needed some valves, so looked at aussie ones, good quality and way over specced on the type of material used. Sent same spec to China and got some samples sent back, looked the same, felt the same, but doing some metalurgy tests and quality was definitely not there. But they met the spec. They are experts at only giving you exactly what you ask for, and no more. I am not having a go at them, good on them for being able to produce a product at a third of the price on the same spec. But those valves lasted less than half of the life of the aussie ones. Was critical at the time since we had a 3 year warranty on the installation of parts.

So I am always wary now. Still buy Chinese if I can see the qulaity for the price, and it will do what I want. Just don't expect anything extra as you used to.
FollowupID: 435111

Reply By: Garthski - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 18:16

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 18:16
Brian

Checkout 4x4 Australia Nov 2004 edition.
A comparison of compressors.

One unit is from 4wd Warehouse and the specs are identical including weight (5kg),airflow,max current,max ambient operating temp, continuous running time etc. That unit was $269 and awarded "top Value".

All other included features were identical as well.

Also a Bushranger "Max Air" that looked the same and had similar specs but only weighed 3.7kg and cost $390. 5 year warranty

By the way. Of the thirteen tested only one the ARB RDCP was made in Australia.
All the rest in China.

Some things we pay for are marketing, warranty, service etc.

So just shows you that if it looks and smells like a "shinook" it probably is!!!!

Garth
AnswerID: 178827

Sponsored Links