Child Restraints 2005 GU

Submitted: Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 14:33
ThreadID: 34982 Views:5657 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon all,

Currently have two boys (both under 5) and associated child seats nicely secured in my 2005 GU Patrol using the two factory fitted anchor points. We now have number 3 on the way and my attention has now turned to trying to fit a third anchor point. However to my dismay the third and final anchor point in the Patrol is located where one of the third row of seats use to exist, now replaced by a draw system. To date the only solution I have been given is to install a crab bar, but will require the removal of my draw system and then some major modifications to the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx to get them back in. (I know this is a small sacrifice to make when we are talking about kids lives.)

As one of the boys is coming to the age where he will move into a booster seat no longer requiring the use of an anchor point, I have also enquired as to whether the lap sash seat belt located in the middle of the rear seats, unsuitable as it currently is for use with a booster seat, can be replaced with another retractable over the should/lap seat belt as currrently exists for the driver/passenger...but this can't be done either.

How do others with three kids cope with this type of vehicle and fitting three child restraints? When the kids are old enough, do people actually use the lap/sash seat belt in the middle rear of the vehicle, or is just a matter of pulling out the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and cargo barrier and reinstall the back row of seats and invest in a camper to cart all the gear.

Thanks in advance.

TJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:22

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:22
I thought the bar that was fitted up as the extra place to mount to was mounted up top not to the floor?

Not a camper but an offroad Trailer is possibly an option when you work out all the extra crap you need with kids.. sad but true.
AnswerID: 178802

Follow Up By: TJ Hach (VIC) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:38

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:38
I thought the same, however I have been advised by the installer that the crab bar is mounted to the sides of the vehicle, approx 8 inches off the floor. I have since found an installer who claims to be able to fit an anchor point in the roof without the need for a crab bar.....will have to let the fingers do some more walking in the yellowpages.

TJ
FollowupID: 435066

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:44

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 15:44
yes, to the sides, but higher up, I would haev thought using the granny handles possibly...

I'd be wery of mounting to the roof! Modern cars roof is only alfoil thick
FollowupID: 435072

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:46

Friday, Jun 16, 2006 at 16:46
Like soooo many other things I have previously or currently done to my Patrol, my solution to that dilemma was probably not legal. However, I was always satisfied that my solution was based on sound engineering and thankfully my handiwork was never put to the test!!!

Here's what I did. I have a Milford cargo barrier. I got a lump of flat steel bar (known as a cross arm brace off a power pole) and mounted that that the same height as the top of the middle row of seats. It was mounted horizontally across the cargo side of the cargo barrier and held in place by a bolt with large washer and the lug for attachment of the baby seat was located on the front side.

This meant that the 'weight' of the baby seat + baby was borne by the whole cargo barrier in the event of a frontal collision.

As I said, probably broke about 987982439876436743150 ADR's by doing it that way, but as far as i was concerned it was as safe as the anchor points done by the factory. Have you seen them from underneath? Basically a captive nut welded onto the bottom of the floor/body with a reinforcing washer about 50mm in diameter. To my way of thinking, in a full collision, my set-up would be AT LEAST as safe, because the weight is spread across the whole barrier which is anchored to the Patrol at 4 locations.

If you don't have a cargo barrier, well, IMHO you bloody-well should!!! hahahaha

Cheers and good luck with the dilemma,

Roachie
AnswerID: 178820

Reply By: H2O - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:01

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 11:01
TJ,
What breed of _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx have u got? I have black widow and you can fit the anchor pts to them. I bought two off black widow with instructions on where to fit them. When I bought the car set there was another anchor pt included so I fitted it to the middle of the _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx.
Cheers
Justin
AnswerID: 178916

Reply By: TJ Hach (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 15:04

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 15:04
Unfortunately they are a home made job....might be a good excuse to lash out on a new set.

Thanks
TJ
AnswerID: 178938

Reply By: Farside - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 08:27

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 08:27
Dear TJ

Congratulations on number 3.

I have three (all under two) in the back of my 05 GU. I had an extra harness point fitted to the roof just to the left of the top stop light. There is a clip which holds up the roof liner. The installer removed the clip and fitted a spacer into the section to help spread the load and then screwed a high tensile bolt into the spacer. Not a very difficult job, but the modification required a certificate and modification plate to be fitted to the vehicle. I think I paid about $180.00 for the job. In my mind the money was mostly for the paper work and the certificate.

I hope this helps.

Angus
AnswerID: 179149

Follow Up By: TJ Hach (VIC) - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:50

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:50
Thanks Angus for the info, I have found a fitter out in the west of Melbourne who state that they fit additional anchor points as you mnrtioned. I will follow up.

TJ
FollowupID: 435434

Sponsored Links