Rodeo Radio Swap

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 16:41
ThreadID: 35017 Views:2264 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm replacing the original radio cassette in my 2002 Rodeo with an MP3 player. Has anyone done a swap? I don't want to pull the whole dash out if there is an easy way to do it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RayJen Paj05 - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 17:33

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 17:33
I wish I still had a cassette player for all my Kenny Rogers, John Williamson and Abba stuff!
AnswerID: 178959

Follow Up By: Busy Bee - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:56

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:56
That's what it's for. I'm ripping all my old LP's - Kenny Rogers, Slim Dusty, John Williamson, Bullamakanka, Redgum, Johnny Cash etc (haven't got to ABBA yet!) into MP3 files on my computer. My MP3 stick plays through the cassette with an adapter. It holds about 10 CDs so when I go to Bamaga next week I will have heard the lot by about the Archer River. With an MP3 player I can carry all of them on a few CDs.
FollowupID: 435294

Reply By: noddy - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:21

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:21
nope.
Sorry, dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but I did it a couple of years ago.
We put a VDO MP3 player in ours ( and I wouldnt recommend it as a brand, the antishock is almost non existent , am about to replace this unit and make sure the new one has a USB input or at least a aux in so we can listen to music from an mp3 player and not have to worry about disk jumping on corrogated roads) and had to pull the dash out, trim up the din hole slightly with a power file etc.

Not too painful a job, but the dash did have to come out.
Just undo all the screws ( there are some in the ashtray as well from memory ).
A small amount of prying is necessary, but it will then come out.

I ran a set of RCA leads and an amp power relay ( antenna power ) lead at the same time as we are going to fit an amp and rear speakers soon.
JB HiFI have speaker pods that take 6 inch drivers ( they have some for splits with a seperate tweeter as well ) for $159. These allow deeper magnet rear speakers than you would otherwise be able to fit in the rear doors.

Cheers,

Dale

AnswerID: 178991

Follow Up By: Busy Bee - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 22:02

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 22:02
Thanks for the advice, got the dash off no trouble. it was the prying i was worried about. Originally I tried to go behind via the glove box.
Now to sort out how the "new" wires match up with the "old" ones.
I have an aux input so I can go back to the old MP3 stick when the going gets rough.
I'll worry about rear speakers and maybe an amp later.
FollowupID: 435297

Reply By: Andrew (Bris) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:37

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:37
Went through the exercise today with my work car - 2002 Rodeo. After looking at it for half an hour, I gave up and got a professional installer to do it. Charged me $90, including supplying all the wiring, only tokk 45 minutes, and no headache for me.
Sorry couldn't help much, but they did remove the front of the dash - don't know if it was necessary, but I did see them do that.
AnswerID: 178995

Reply By: Busy Bee - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 22:10

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 22:10
I was close to getting it done by the dealer - $80 at Autobarn - but as my son had installed his own in his old skippy wagon last month I couldn't be outdone. It's probably 10 minutes to pull out the dash once you know where to go.
Then it depends on whether the mounts on the new unit match the Rodeo fittings. I was lucky. Then to play trial and error with the wiring to see which are the R and L speakers etc as the colours are different.
AnswerID: 179002

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 22:20

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 22:20
There have been a few posts about this lately.

You can't beat the USB/SD Card/CD stereos the guy in Melbourne on Ebay is selling - I see the new one does DVD too. (Why do the new models always come out after I buy one...)

Mine was $130 with postage and I'm wrapped. 20 albums on a 1Gig USB stick and another 20 on a 1Gig SD card. Threw all the burnt (backups of the ones at home) CD's I used to carry in the bin.

Hit shuffle and you have a 20 disk "stacker" - it's awesome. No skip problems ever again.

The only thing I can't work out is what they bothered putting a CD slot in it for cos I'll probably never use it.

Dave
AnswerID: 179004

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:20

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:20
agree....get one with a USB...or sd card....no cd skip on rough roads
FollowupID: 435605

Sponsored Links