Keep River NP

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 20:50
ThreadID: 35024 Views:1912 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Knocked of work early last night and headed out to the Keep for a look.Was dark by the time we got out there and upon arriving at the first camp ground/area,Gurrandalng, it was packed solid so headed of for the next one,Jarnem 16kms away,got half way there and a big ROAD CLOSED sign shows up in the headlights.Great pitch black ,1900 and no where to camp.End up setting up in the car park at the Nganalam art site(all to our selves too).Had a look at the site thismorning,great art there and only a short walk(5min each way).Next stop was at the Jinumum walk which followed the base of the escarpment to a wet season shelter,a bit of art here but most very faded.Took us an hour in and back but sign states 2hrs so depends a bit.Had a look at the mystrious Gingers Hill structure on the way out,very clever.(5min walk)
Seems nearly half the park is closed due to road closure so will have to go back to see the rest.Any one going in would want to get in early to get a spot due to one camp ground only.All up nice spot right on my door step.
Went into Thompsons Springs on our way home hoping to see some Gouldian Finches but not this time,good fun drive in though.Couple more spots to check on to see some yet,here's hoping.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:04

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:04
Hi Nick

We drove in there many years ago...hmmm must be 20 years at least......Yes the art site is good.

Anyway there was a bush track at the end of the made road which we followed and which led us around a small range of hills and eventually to a large water hole. There I saw the biggest saltie I have ever seen. I tried to creep up through the under growth to get a good photo but it came out all blurred....must've had the shakes...lol.

We camped there that night and the crocs were really noisy making those low down gutteral sounds. By 2am there was so much noise that we became nervous, packed up, and drove back towards the highway and slept in the car park!!!

AnswerID: 178987

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (Kununurra) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:12

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:12
Gday Willem,Im guessing that it would have been "BIG POLICE HOLE".
Last weekend out the Keep River,we stopped to do a spot of fishing and first thing we saw was a Big Saltie,around 12-14 footer,and he just slipped into the water on the other side of the bank,made me stand well back while fishing.
FollowupID: 435286

Reply By: Member - Allen R (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:12

Saturday, Jun 17, 2006 at 21:12
Nick,
Glad to hear you have seen at least part of Keep River NP. I have tried to get in on two previous occasions to the NT, but missed out because of wet season.. It is an area I would like to see. Maybe next time I go to the Kimberley...
Allen
AnswerID: 178989

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 09:00

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 09:00
G'day Gents,

Don't like to brag, but I worked on Newry station, which covered all of Keep N/Park, back in the late 60's, early 70's. Spent 4 years there, and they were great times. Used to say "we're getting paid for working here!" Never tired of the scenery.

Met a bloke who said he'd shot a 17 footer in that Police Hole, don't know how he recovered it to check it's length, as he was by himself.

Plan to go back one day,

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179031

Sponsored Links