jackaroo diesel starting problems

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 16:31
ThreadID: 35041 Views:5973 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Have a turbo diesel jackaroo 2000 with starting problems. Sure it is something electrical. It starts fine and runs beautifully but will then abruptly stop for no reason. Will do this when hot or cold and may be after 10 seconds or 30 mins. It will restart but sometimes only low idle with no throuttle response and then stop. pressing the accelerator can do nothing sometimes. Yet if it restarts/resets, throttle is fine. Turn the key on and off again and it starts perfectly. Very unreliable. It has the right oil etc so I suspect it is something electrical. Any ideas. Spud09 had the same problem years ago but no solution was posted.
Help!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lost one - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 16:52

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 16:52
Have you looked at the fuel filter?
AnswerID: 179073

Follow Up By: smhoult - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 17:44

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 17:44
yep, fuel filter is fine. Also no air in fuel..
FollowupID: 435374

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 16:55

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 16:55
Sucking air into the fuel line will do this. Check all connections around pump and filter.

Pump seals shrunk by low sulpher fuel will also cause propblems.
AnswerID: 179074

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 17:36

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 17:36
smhoult...definately get onto the jackaroo website or do a search. Hard starting with this engine is the first sign of big trouble.

I can remember the exact cause or solution but there are some serious technicians on the jackaroo website that have sorted it out. Some Holden dealers have no idea.

Goodluck, when these engines run well they are a dream, but like any modern diesel, big bucks if they do have problems.

Matt.
AnswerID: 179083

Follow Up By: smhoult - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 17:44

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 17:44
Have checked fuel and fuel filter. no air etc.

Do you know the exact website?? I have been unable to locate it.
FollowupID: 435373

Follow Up By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 18:16

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 18:16
try this forum.australia4wd.com then go to the Jackaroo or Isuzu...heaps of info and if you cant find...join and post ur probs.

Goodluck!

Matt.
FollowupID: 435378

Follow Up By: WIFFCO - Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 21:07

Tuesday, Jul 04, 2006 at 21:07
Hi folks, just new to this forum, but had some experience with this engine. Smhoult, I had a similar problem with my 2000 Model when it was only 12 months old, it turned out to be a split in the fuel line and it was sucking air.
FollowupID: 438167

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 20:20

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 20:20
What you descibe I experienced in an old Ford I had.

It turned out that somehow a bit of sweet paper had fallen into the fuel tank( no doubt put there by prankster) and was sucked up in to the fuel pipe every so often. Nearly drove me insane....LOL

Have to you a lood at your fuel filter?
AnswerID: 179108

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 21:34

Sunday, Jun 18, 2006 at 21:34
Sounds like a crank angle sensor fault. I'd be looking up (probally on the jackeroo site) how to do a engine diagnostic (normally just put a paper clip into the Diag socket on specified pins and count the number of times the engine light flashs, then check that against the fault code listing and see what it says). This should tell you what the problem is, as when the engine dies it is undoubtly going to be logged by the ECU.

Had this exact problem on a commodore and a skyline in the past, symptoms were random. Somtimes it would not start at all, could flattern the battery trying, go back half an hour later and it'd be fine. Then 30 minutes down the road it'd just stop dead again.

Pretty common problem I've heard. (not specifically on the Jack, but on a lot of ECU driven engines).

AnswerID: 179125

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:09

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:09
With your comment about the accellerator pedal playing a part in the equation, it could well be the all electric throttle body - the ECU will indicate that on diagnosis apparently, if playing up - watch out re dealers but - there have been posts here in the last year or so to indicate Holden dealers will just keep replacing parts at your considerable cost, until its fixed - one bloke in Melb was many thousands $ and still had the same problem. There have been others - the main snag is that the after market repairers are often in the dark too (re diagnosing tools), despite wanting to provide reliable quality service - its a bugger - fingers crossed on my 99 TD Jack. As a long shot, Motoring Organisations claim to be able to ID required repairs, prior to the member looking for the repairer..... just a thought.
AnswerID: 179155

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:53

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 09:53
This is what I don't get! These mechanics do this all the time (including the friggin delaers!!).

Smaller mechancis claim "they don't have the tools to diagnose them". A paperclip may not be a standard workshop tool, however they are relativly inexpensive and fairly easy to get a hold of.

This is what happened with the VS II commodore, mechanics quoting rediculous prices to diagnose as they would have to replace everything until they found the problem. One quick search on the web, fault codes up on the screen and 10 minutes later an error from the ECU faulting the Crank angle sensor. Paid someone to replace it (about $160) and whamo, problem solved.
FollowupID: 435436

Reply By: Johnnotoo - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:41

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:41
Had ths same prob on my 98 Jack. Turned out to be leaking seals around injectord combined with a faulty oil pressure sensor which required replacing.

Most of my rectification work was done as by holden at no cost under a general recall as a batch of engines were built with defective seals. There is a web site that has all recalls on it soewhere. Good Luck

AnswerID: 179177

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 13:54

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 13:54
I had similar probs. Holden spent days trying to sort it with no results. Turned out to be a label placed during the manufacturing process in the fuel tank somehow that had come adrift & was wedged into the suction pipe. Because of the interlocking of the electronics in the 4XJ1 engines it did not show up as a fault on the computer but stacks of other things did. I only found the problem after it was sugested that Algea may be somehow at fault & I should totally dismantle the fuel system & clean it....Fuel tank fortunatley came out first...
I took the label with Isuzu markings on it to the dealer & told him that Holden could reimburse me for the hassle of finding the fault, after a brief consultation with customer service it was resolved to my total satisfaction...
AnswerID: 179222

Reply By: arewelost - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 00:39

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 00:39
hi
apart from the other suggestions does it have a turbo time installed i have had this problem before not on a jackaroo but toyota the timer was faulty but the symtoms are the same
cheers steve
AnswerID: 179377

Reply By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 16:47

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 16:47
Gday

Had EXACTLY the same problem on my 99 TD Jack. Was oil running down the wiring loom onto the oil pressure sensor. A bit detailed to go into again, but look at threads on the Jackaroo forum as has been advised, you will most probably find your answer. Was not a serious expensive problem as has been suggested here.

D-Jack
AnswerID: 179486

Reply By: smhoult - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:40

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:40
Thanks to everyone who has replied. Took the car to holden with all the advice and they replaced an oil pressure sensor inside the tappet cover. It came up as an error on the computer whereas in the past it has been too intermittent. It was registering 6psi instead of the normal 0.2psi. Once replaced, psi was normal and car seems to run fine. Will update if anything changes. Funny how such a little thing can cause so many wierd symptoms!
Again, thanks for your help.
AnswerID: 179542

Sponsored Links