SMART BARS ARE THEY SMART??

Submitted: Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 21:59
ThreadID: 35088 Views:3063 Replies:12 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Gday, I have a mate that has asked me about smart bars over alloy bars for his 2005 Pajero. I have little knowledge of these bars and do not see to many around. can anyone give me some feed back on them.

Strength, mounting of spot lights, and also colour matching to the vehicle etc.

This Pajero is a goldy bronze sort of colour.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pterosaur - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 22:18

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 22:18
Hi,

don't know much about colour matching, but I have one on my current (troopy) vehicle, and on my last vehicle - very satisfied.

That said, I haven't run into anything serious with one, although my experience with a steel bar suggests that a serious collision results in bar destruction and considerable damage to the vehicle, hence my shift.

They come with appropriate bolt holes for mounting gear like lights, and the manufacturer is great to deal with.

Check them out at

TeamPoly

(I have no connection to them, apart from being a satisfied customer)

regards
Terry
AnswerID: 179353

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 22:43

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 22:43
are they smart?

No.
AnswerID: 179360

Reply By: Gu_Patrol - Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 23:15

Monday, Jun 19, 2006 at 23:15
Do they decrease the life of globes in spotlights
AnswerID: 179366

Reply By: OsherG - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:17

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:17
They are lighter weight than steel and hold up better than the steel and certainly the alloy stuff in case of a collission. I have seen a few after collisions with a roo, and the steel crumples like cardboard compared the smart bars they aren't so popular, no idea why, you can mount spolights to em and radio arials not sure about winches though... can be painted/colour matched by the fitters
cheers
OsherG
AnswerID: 179381

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:41

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 02:41
Interesting: brother (retired trucker) has smart bar, and is content with outcome after 'roo meeting,(sorry, speed, size, height at impact, angle of attack ) I don't know.
I've got a TJM, and with low impact hits, have no damage.
Probly like roads - if you're used to 'em, no real problems. Capital city roads are bleep - they scare me to distraction.
Hit a camel with steel or plastic, won't matter. But at the lesser rates of impact, (and weight saving @ front end) I reckon I could go smart (bar, not State), next time. Will watch with interest.
AnswerID: 179383

Reply By: wheeler - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 07:10

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 07:10
Call inot your local arb store and ask to see the video they did. Steel vs Alloy vs Plastic. Very interesting results.
AnswerID: 179388

Follow Up By: agsmky - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:18

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:18
for those without a ARB store nearby, what was the results?

Andrew
FollowupID: 435634

Follow Up By: wheeler - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:05

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:05
They essientialy drop a dummy kangaroo weighing 60kg from the roof of the workshop onto all 3 types of bars and film it using a high speed camera and record the deformation. The plastic bar showed very little signs of damage afterwards, but flexed so much the vehicle it would have been fitted to would have sustained many thousands of dollars worth of damage. The alloy bar was completly destroyed as would have been the car behind it. The steel bar flexed a little, but sustained no permant damage and the vehicle would have sustained little or no damage. Very graphically shows the advantage of steel over the others.
Certainly helped with my decision on which material is the best to use. As the ARB guy said to me, Most vehicles have a steel chassis which is what the bar is mounted to, so why would you fit a weaker material as a bar and expect it to protect your car?
FollowupID: 435658

Follow Up By: Member - Marquis - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:22

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:22
Did they just have the visable plastic section, or all the smartbar pieces mounted properly?
FollowupID: 435661

Follow Up By: wheeler - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:27

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:27
All 3 bars where mounted to a substantial frame and I assume used the correct mounting brackets, but you would have to ask ARB to be sure.
FollowupID: 435663

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:38

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:38
Now lets talk about the other part of ARB's equation

Smartbar and alloy bar dissipated the energy of the impact into the bending of and breaking of metal and plastic, the steel bar dissipated the enrgy into bending and breaking of the passengers. The energy HAS to be dissipated somehow...
FollowupID: 435665

Follow Up By: Member - Marquis - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:43

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:43
Have you hit a roo with a metal bullbar?
It's a pain when the bar sit firmly against the tyre in the middle of no-where.

If you hit a reasonable size roo with alloy, plastic or metal - there is going to be major damage to the vehicle.

This is why I am trying plastic this time.
FollowupID: 435666

Follow Up By: wheeler - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:56

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:56
Garyin oz....what a load of crap. the plastic and alloy bars tried to absordb the energy, but failed and as such collapsed....probably back into the cars radiator or perhaps the end of the bar puctured the tyre. Either way not good protection, which is why we fit bars to our vehicles isnt it? Or is it just to look tuff and shiny.
The steel bar dissapatted the energy by flinging the dumbass kangaroo off to the side of the road, which is exactly what I would want to happen.
Marquis I have hit many mnat roos in my travels ( 2 last week) and there is no way I would travel on country roads with any thing less than a well designed steel bar fitted to my vehicle. You only need look at the posted pictures to see what would happen in the event of a striking a decent sized roo with one of the plastic bars.
FollowupID: 435668

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 15:22

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 15:22
Sorry Wheeler, there was energy expended in deforming the alloy and plastic. The steel bar did not absorb any energy, it transmitted the energy into the chassis of the vehicle.

"...The steel bar dissapatted the energy by flinging the dumbass kangaroo off to the side of the road, which is exactly what I would want to happen...."

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The Kangaroo is only half the picture. Go back to school, year 11 physics. (Newtons third law of motion). BTW the Kangaroo absorbed it's share of the impact before it untimely demise. The force of the kangaroo hitting the bar is the same as the bar hitting the kangaroo, no more, no less.

My point was that if the energy is not dissipated in the collapse of metal/plastic (including your steel) bars and/or chassis, than it is transferred ultimately to the occupants of the vehicle. No interest in plastic bars myself, and yes, I intend on getting a steel one. My interest was only in the incorrect physics involved in the statements.
FollowupID: 435670

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:03

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:03
Sorry GaryInOz, I'm with Wheeler on this one. If what you say is true, if I was to jump off a 20 storey building onto a concrete footpath, then an amount of energy, equal to that which has just broken every bone in my body, will also attack the concrete and make a big-@rse hole right there for the ambo's to have to dig/scrape me out of!!!! I don't think so!!!

No, the vast majority of the energy is absorbed by young skippy.

Try to imagine a sparrow hitting a Kenworth @ 100k/h. That's a more exaggerated example of the same skippy hitting a big 4x4. Sure, the smaller the vehicle and the larger the animal, then the more there will be a shift in the dynmaics. A Charade hitting a Water Buffalo would not be a pretty site for the SES blokes.

So, whilst I agree you "could" have a point (depending on how big skippy is versus how big the 4x4 is and what sort of bar it has), given the example put forward, I would rather be in my Patrol with it's steel bar, than a plastic-fantastic bit of krap.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 435724

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:32

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:32
"...if I was to jump off a 20 storey building onto a concrete footpath, then an amount of energy, equal to that which has just broken every bone in my body, will also attack the concrete and make a big-@rse hole right there for the ambo's to have to dig/scrape me out of!!!!..."

Umm yes it does leave a hole, actually,just as it would if you threw 20kg concrete slab of the top of the Empire State Building..........

Ever hit a slab of concrete with a steel shafted sledge hammer???? obviously not...............(hurts the hands like a ****, AND breaks the concrete)

Don't confuse energy of an impact with the inertia of the items impacting. This is the part where bigger is better related to the masses of the objects.

A bullet can blow a hole straight through you, yet you weigh in at ~80000 times as much as the bullet (1g vs 80 kg). Water can cut steel.....................

For a material to "absorb" any energy it must deform or heat up. This is why you need to use a hammer to bend nails over. For a material to "transfer" energy it should not undergo any change in physical appearance. This is why the conrods in you engine work, they TRANSFER the energy from the piston to the crankshaft without deforming (Nissan 3.0l TD excepted). This transfer of energy is exactly the same as the transfer of energy from the steel bar into the chassis when hit by a skippy.

FollowupID: 435742

Follow Up By: Pterosaur - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:46

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:46
What Gary is referring to is the effect of Newton's first Law of Motion - not really a point worth arguing I reckon - "For every force there is an equal and opposite reaction" is how it's commonly stated.

As for steel bars providing superior protection - well, I switched to a plastic bar precisely because, after a low speed collision with an ARB steel bar fitted to my then vehicle, I did major damage to the front 5 panels + radiator, and wrote off the bar too.

Maybe the collision would have written off a plastic bar too, but it's a lot lighter to carry around for a start. Similarly, the tests on them show that (at least for low velocity impacts, much of the energy from the impact is absorbed by the bar, which temporarily deforms acting in a similar manner to an airbag, ). For those who challenge such tests - why are those carried out by ARB more reliable than those carried out by a rival manufacturer ?

The Smart Bars meet all relevant standards, as far as I am aware, and I'll trust those over any manufacturer's testing, which in my opinion will be (understandably) designed to demonstrate that their product is superior to a competitor's.

regards
Terry
FollowupID: 435790

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 16:05

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 16:05
'Tis actually Newtons Third Law of Motion ;-)
FollowupID: 435893

Follow Up By: Pterosaur - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 16:16

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 16:16
Duuuh........

(I wondered about that after I put a number to it, but knew if I were wrong, I'd be corrected soon enough) ;-)
FollowupID: 435897

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 07:39

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 07:39
You can still fit a winch but not to the bar. I've had one since new on the Patrol, thumbs up here.
AnswerID: 179392

Follow Up By: Pterosaur - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:48

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:48
Some of the Smart bar models can be fitted with winches, I'm pretty sure.

regards
Terry
FollowupID: 435792

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:04

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:04
Got one on the Paj. Only problem I find is I can't mount a rod holder on it :-((
AnswerID: 179399

Reply By: Member - Marquis - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:53

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:53
MY05 with smartbar (just fitted)

AnswerID: 179420

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 10:56
Geeeeezzzz they fit bars close to the car nowa days! I know it's all about areo dynamics and crap, but there's not much room there for flex. I mean the whole principle about the smartbar is that they flex isn't it? It's going to flex right into ur bonnet!

It's the same with these alloy bars you see on Rodeos, hiluxs and prados. What's the point?

I have no doubt in my mind that these plastic bars are tough, some of the polycarb we were using in security cameras was much, much, much stronger that the other brands of cast aliminium and steel. Some of these plastic alloy's are bloody amazing. You could smash "plastic" cameras with a 10 pound sledge over and over and you'd end up buckling the roof that it was mounted to and the camera would still be working! I think I would deffinataly have the mind set of feeling better protected behind steel, just not sure if it would make that much difference. I think the worry for me is these designs! I won't some space between my bar and my car! (hey I like that).
FollowupID: 435631

Follow Up By: ACDC - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:49

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:49
What a waste of money!
FollowupID: 435720

Reply By: F4Phantom - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 15:51

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 15:51
Steel and aluminium have approx the same strength to weight ratio so if the thickness of the steel and aluminium is the same the steel will be much stronger. Plastic will not be as stong as aluminium, it flexing ability makes it seem as stong but it isnt. With hitting animals, the steel bar will transferr most energy to the vehicle but because the mass of the vehicle is so big the deceleration will me much less than braking so I would think to minimimal amount of discomfort to passengers. The the material worth upgrading to from steel is titanium, its strengh to weight is amazing and its only 13 times the cost!
AnswerID: 179477

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 21:35
Bisalloy :-)

Now that would be one tuff mutha!!!
FollowupID: 435743

Follow Up By: Doggy Tease - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 22:03
dropped a 3 ton rock onto the bisalloy floor of my trailer today. not even a little dent.....and the floor is only 4mm thick,,,,or thin,,,,depends on how ya lookat it....lol.
tho i would have to see what a bisalloy bar would weigh against a steel one,,,that stuff is pretty heavy.

meow.

rick.
FollowupID: 435752

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 02:11

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 02:11
If you look closely at my rig pic you wont see a bull bar because it's made from clear perspex which is extremely flexible and absorbs the energy generated by impact. But I think I've found something better; for it's weight paper is very strong! I think I'm going to upgrade to a cardboard cut-out ;-)
AnswerID: 179590

Reply By: pauljohnston - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:08

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:08
We have a smart bar and so far, happy. But then so far havn't hit anything, still happy!
I found that to fit a rod holder you have to use one of the removable ones. (they have a mounting bracket you leave on the bar, then install the rod holder as needed. A bit more expensive, but you don't have the ugly and dangerous rod holder on you car all the time.

PJ.
AnswerID: 179696

Sponsored Links