Sick of replacing aerials!!

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:25
ThreadID: 35101 Views:2225 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Morning Guys,

I am on AM/FM aerial number 4 for my 80 series and I am a little tired of replacing them. The last few have been Aerpro electric ones and they seem to keep packing it in. Now I can't find a "semi" automatic one as they all seem to be fully automatic (ie, coe up as soon as the stereo is turned on). I don't have an aerial power cable on my stereo and in any case it is useful to have the aerial down or only up a bit so it doesn't get wiped on scrub.

Anyone with any experience with another brand/type of aerial and tips on where I could get one as the major auto parts places only seem to carry the Aerpro ones?

Thanks,

Matt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: revhead307 - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:36

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:36
Gday Matt,

I've broken about 3 aerials while 4x4ing...(the old fashioned non electric type)
My Import Patrol has a manual switch to move the aerial up and down which is handy.

This may not suit everyone...but on past vehicles I had a dedicated long range AM/FM aerial on the bullbar (looked just like an AM CB aerial)

You can buy them from dick smiths i think, they use the same mounts as CB aerials, (heck ive even used CB aeriels with good results as a radia antenna)

You just have to put an antenna fitting on the end of the coax instead of the usual plug that terminates to the back of your UHF.

Works a treat, and they dont snap (easily)

Rev

AnswerID: 179431

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:50

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 11:50
Thanks Rev, sounds like the go. I have also had the aerials with the switch, but they keep crapping themselves.

Will give it a go,

Matt.
FollowupID: 435642

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 18:44

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 18:44
I have the same situation. I put a seperate rocker switch in the dash to control the aerial. Put it down when playing a cd and up for the radio. Simple!
FollowupID: 435712

Follow Up By: A.J - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:02

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:02
Who listens to the radio when you have DVD/CD/CDR/CDRW/MP3. . . . . . . . . .
Hee Hee
Just mount a spring based AM CB aerial to the bull bar, along side the phone, UHF, HF, and GPS aerials. . . . . . . . hmmm maybe get a second bull bar too!
Cheers
A.J
FollowupID: 435723

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:01

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:01
There has to be a wire on the back of the stereo that tells the antenna when the radio is on, otherwise how does the antenna know when to go up??. On the surf it was tricky to work it out. It was not as simple as power to the antenna, it fed of the amp relay circut but once I did, I just run that wire through a switch on the dash so that I can force the antenna to stay down. I have to turn the stereo off, then flick the switch to off and turn the stereo on. That way the antenna won't shoot up. Once you leave the scrub, you just flick the switch and whamo the antenna goes up. I still managed to brake one though, but it was a simple task of fitting a new toyota mast, didnt' even need any tools to do it, you just feed it in the top. (bloody emus).

But yeah, you should be able to work it out, it souldn't take you too long. I reckon it's worth the hassel.
AnswerID: 179438

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:37

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:37
Thanks Jeff,

No the stereo has no aerial activation lead, which is why the auto aerial is no good. Current arrangement is that the aerial is powered (via a switch on the dash) independantly of the stereo.

You have got me wondering though whether I can install the fully auto aerial and provide power to it independantly so I can switch it on or off manually, in the same way the stereo would automatically. If that makes any sense.

Cheers,

Matt.
FollowupID: 435649

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 13:48

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 13:48
Oh yeah easy. Well, you could make it so when the accessories are on the antenna is up (close enough). Just get any accessory power and route that through the switch instead of the existing power supply. Then you can still force it down, but when you turn the car off it goes down and then when you turn the car on, it comes back up. What stereo have you got? I'm suprised it doesn't have an antenna control wire??? Maybe upgrade to a MP3 player that's got the control lead and get the added bonus of MP3's! ;-)
FollowupID: 435657

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:29

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 14:29
That's what I love about this forum, every question costs you money. Yeah, the MP3 player would be good, but I run my iPod on an FM transmitter and it works well. Would like a stereo with USB though as I imagine there is no substitute for hard wiring the iPod in terms of sound quality.

Anyhow, will try your suggestion with the auto aerial.

Thanks Jeff.

Matt

P.S. Rear air locker being fitted today, so best I keep a low profile on car purchases for a while otherwise home life will not be much fun.
FollowupID: 435664

Follow Up By: Groove - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 15:19

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 15:19
Also Worth noting for anyone updating stereos in the near future is that a lot of the new stereos are coming out with a socket on the front panel where you can plug in an mp3 player. The socket is exactly the same as a headphone socket so you get a lead that goes from the headphone socket of your mp3 player into the front of your stereo.

An added bonus of this setup is that if you run a laptop in the car you can put your MP3 collection on the laptop and plug into the same socket on the front of the stereo. Also great if you use navigation software because you can actually hear the directions loud and clear.

If you have a touchscreen in the car its just like having a jukebox

Basically does the same thing as an fm transmitter but one more less battery to worry about.

Some pioneer units have a socket on the back that you can use in the same way, but the cable to suit costs about $80, (rip off) I did however find plans on how to build such a cable for a few dollars and it works well.

Where does it stop?
FollowupID: 435669

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 15:30

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 15:30
"That's what I love about this forum, every question costs you money. "

LMAO! Oh yeah baby!

Actually it was an older member of this forum that I was out bush with once who gave me some tips about buying things for the 4wd over a few drinks around the camp fire.

To paraphrase: buy what you want and don't tell them. When they figure it out, they'll be upset with you for a week or so, after that you've still got your new toy!

It kinda works, his theory was that they'll never divorce you over a new camp oven or roof rack back. I married a kiwi though, so I take my life into my hands everytime I upset her!! LOL! :-O

Yeah when you add it all up it's pretty scarey what we put into this hobby, however it's a hobby I enjoy with my whole family. I don't really have any other hobbies to spend money on (got none to spend on them!). (but in saying that I include bike riding, fishing, 4wding and camping as "one" hobby as they are all interelated)

But over the last few years since I've been on exploreoz, my membership has been well an truley paid for by the savings I've made by the advice of these guys on here.
FollowupID: 435671

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:32

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:32
Jeff,

I love the old 'It is easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission' theory. You are spot on though with your thoughts on the ExploOz Forum. I reckon I have saved heaps with some ideas on here, avoided some stupid purchases and got some great information from the site in general. For example, I had the car booked in to have the HF fitted, read David and Michelle's article on doing it, and realised it wasn't that hard. Saved $250 in the process.

Well worth the subscription. Thanks again for the advice.

Matt.
FollowupID: 435729

Reply By: Nick R - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 18:07

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 18:07
Matt,
I replaced 1 and very quickly grew tired of it so i put in a $14 flexible rubber one, even in a rural area here reception was fine so there was no problems in built up areas.
These aerials are so tough you could tie them in knots and they'll be fine.
It mightn't be quite as pretty but i was prepared to suffer that so I didn't have to shove my arm in that front panel again.
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 179499

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:23
Sounds like the go Nick. was wondering about reception, glad to hear it is OK.
FollowupID: 435728

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 18:13

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 18:13
I gave up on the electric ones and bought one with a spring base. Almost impossible to break and they dont crap them selves electrically.

That or one of the wire on the windscreen jobs.
AnswerID: 179500

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:24

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 19:24
I ditched my electric one and went back to fixed.
AnswerID: 179508

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:20
Thought about that, but the other problem (aside from wiping it off on scrub) is that if you don't remember to put down it in car parks, there is always some turd willing to snap it off for you. I have lost one that way.

I long for the day when I can head back to the country.
FollowupID: 435727

Reply By: FZJ 80 - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:21
Matt.

My 80 is a 94 GXL. Has factory manual aerial. Fit Manual not elec next time. Mine is fixed half way up, been broken and pushed back together - looks a shocker to replace so have left it be for now.

Go manual

Greg
AnswerID: 179522

Reply By: disco driver - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:24

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 20:24
Hi All,
Some time ago I had a similar problem with aerials on my Series 3 Landrover. I succesfully broke 4 manually extended ones and eventually had a fibreglass spring base recommended to me by one of the radio places in Perth.
They were available in either 3,4,5 or 6ft lenghts. Fitted a 5ft one and it was still on the vehicle some years later when I sold it.
Don't know if such a thing is still available but it might be worth trying.

Cheers

Disco
AnswerID: 179525

Reply By: walruz - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:08

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2006 at 23:08
Go the Dick Smith f/glass whip jobby. Have had one for a couple of years, great reception and tough as.
AnswerID: 179578

Reply By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 07:40

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 07:40
The big whip on my heritage listed Paj is for the radio (see my rig pic). I put it on when we lived at Cattai near Richmond and the normal aerial couldn't pull in the FM stations. It was a $50 buck job from Dick Smith's and the mount was already on the bull bar.

You could always use the bent wire coat hanger option.

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179599

Reply By: Member - Karl - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 08:56

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 08:56
Matt,

My 10c worth - I replaced my motorised aerial (which was brocken) with the standard Aerpro steel whip antenna - black in colour - for my 80 series. It works well and I haven't had any trouble with it - the spring base is go when offroad.

I am looking at replacing it with one of their smaller rubber type ones which I had on my 60 series and work very well.

Just a thought if you haven't already done it - I ran a small extension lead (about 20 cm in lenght) made by Aerpro from the rear of the radio to behind the glove box, so I don't have to pull the dash a part everytime I want to replace the aerial.

Karl
AnswerID: 179813

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:19

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 09:19
Karl,

Exactly the option I have gone for. Fit up this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Matt.
FollowupID: 436001

Sponsored Links