New Nissan Patrol 3l td

Submitted: Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 14:37
ThreadID: 3512 Views:1855 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
G'day
Very close to ordering a new patrol, did a net search and found this forum, its a beauty.
Wasn't sure what vehicle to get at first, main use is as city car, but do quite a lot of long trips towing a boat, probably weighs around a ton.
After looking at a number of the small 4wd vehicles, the patrol 3L stacks up so well I thought its worth paying more to avoid feeling shortchanged.
As I have reasonable 4wd experience it will open up a new range of activities/holidays.
Anyway, looking at the st, we (wife and I) have driven the manual and auto, normally a manual kinda guy, the combo in this vehicle with the auto is great to drive imo. I realise it has reduced tow capacity, due to higher gearing I assume, but plenty for us.
Any comment on the 4 speed auto in the patrol?
We are going into a leasing deal so want to select any accessories to be fitted from new, not sure of the pro's and cons of original verses after market, any comments?
Accessories that we are looking at are
tow pack
weather shields (slim or normal??),
floor mats
cargo barrier
maybe bull bar but not sure we need it?
Almost certainly abs and passenger srs(for 2k extra I thought we may regret not getting it)
rear protection tray? We have a 60l engel we take with us is this thing sturdy enough?
We will remove the rear most seats (permenently) I guess its easy?
Maybe roof bars (occassional general use)
Any thoughts/experiences with the vehicle or (any)accessories would be appreciated.
cheers
Rod
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 15:34

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 15:34
Patrol List
AnswerID: 13827

Follow Up By: Woddonnee - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 16:31

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 16:31
Thanks Truckster
Have read those messages, will post questions there also.
Just found good thread on auto/manual recently on this site. Keeping in mind the extreme slippery downhill scenario (yes I do have experience) the abs would be invaluable with auto I would think.
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 8231

Reply By: Member - Robert - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 16:38

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 16:38
We have 3.0l auto and it is great . Dont get abs scareyy off road wish i could disconect mine. 50mm lift ,shocks & new springs as the original equip tend to sag . Snorkel to breath better , bullbar usually cheaper of nissan.

good luck
robert
AnswerID: 13831

Follow Up By: Woddonnee - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 16:48

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 16:48
Thats interesting Robert, abs scarey off road, could you describe what happens? Sagging springs, thats sounds like crap for a new vehicle, I'll have to check that out. Don't like the appearance of the snorkel but will have a chat to mechanic mate.
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 8232

Follow Up By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:49

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 10:49
I agree ABS does not work well on lose dirt surfaces but is generally much safer on sealed surfaces. ABS can be disconected easily by removing the relay in the fuse box on most 4wds. I train all my people how to brake correctly with the ABS disconnected then we brake again with ABS. Usually from 40 klms a person trained correctly in the threshold braking method can stop a car length shorter without ABS on a lose dirt surface .
If there is no cost penalty in haveing ABS in your 4wd you would be safer to have it for most of your driving particularly on wet sealed roads and, just as in th "good old days" when we used to have to get out to lock our hubs we can now stop when we get to a lose dirt surface and remove an ABS relay.
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
www.4wdtraining.com
4wdtraining@cairns.net.au
www.cedarparkresort.com.au

FollowupID: 8313

Follow Up By: Woddonnee - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:36

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:36
Thanks Rob from cairns. Have done a fair amount of driver training myself (heavy vehicle emergency service), even did a 2 week 4wd instructors course (heavy vehicles) about 8 years ago. The breaking technique you are talking about I know as cadence breaking. Have never driven a vehicle with abs, but thought abs would perform similarly but faster (better I expected). Obviously not. Very glad I asked at this site and to receive the valuable replies.
The option on the patrol is $2000 for abs and passenger airbag. Have just put in for a quote without it.
Thanks again
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 8323

Reply By: Member - Robert - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 18:35

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 18:35
On loose gravel abs thinks wheels are locking & releases brake pressure
so going down a steep hill it cane put heart in throat.
Ours was 12 mths old when rear started to sag as oe setup is for town drivers
AnswerID: 13836

Follow Up By: Diamond - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 19:30

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 19:30
thats true the run softer springs/coils to keep city people happy as thats usually where most sales go we doing a lot of mainly rear spring cconversions at work we mainly fit pedders h/d rear coils
FollowupID: 8237

Reply By: brian - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 19:28

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 19:28
Hello woddonnee,i had 2000 model with ABS a true nightmare on loose surfaces particularly dramatic when towing anything.impossible to predict stopping distances on loose surfaces. sold the truck and purchased 2002 model without ABS. its so sensitive that when I was leaving the local hospital car park in the rain on braking to cross the metal grate at the entrance all of 20 ks per hour the vehicles brakes released as i crossed the wet steel grate result vehicle continues across the grate on to the driveway without any real control .i didnt lock the wheels it senses the difference in coefficient of friction between wet steel and wet concrete and released the brakes.

AnswerID: 13839

Reply By: diamond - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 19:33

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 19:33
how long have fourbys been around how long has a/b/s s/r/s ect been around as you said $2000 extra why do you think there options on some models
AnswerID: 13840

Follow Up By: Woddonnee - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 23:20

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 23:20
Diamond, I thought it was just to keep the prices down, prior to the info here anyway.
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 8303

Reply By: Stuart - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 21:13

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 21:13
Rod, i have a 2002 3lt td auto, i did not have ABS, its hopeless off road, i nearly ran into back of another 4x4 on beach he stopped in front of me and the sand and wheels not locking up ment i keep going forward. It is fine on the black surface. I changed the tyres over also as the original ones are ment for highway use, i changed the suspension for ARB old man emu with a 50mm lift HD springs, i get no sag in the rear when towing my van and loaded.
It depends on what you want and what you use it for, but when they are sold new their sold for highway purpose.
Its not hard to spend another $10,000.00 on options

Stuart
AnswerID: 13847

Reply By: woddonnee - Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 21:57

Monday, Feb 24, 2003 at 21:57
Well, very glad I asked you lot, looks like you've saved me $2000 and a lot of headache. So, no abs for me.
Not sure what will suit my purposes for the suspension, will keep your comments in mind and ask around.
Thought of a couple of other general questions, will start a new thread.
Thankyou all very much/
cheers
Rod

weeleece woddonnee
AnswerID: 13853

Reply By: sean - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 19:39

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 19:39
I have 2000 model with ABS. ABS or not, the brakes are not what I would call powerful. Curious if they have upgraded the stoppers in teh GU3.

The abs is good on the bitumen but is a problem on real loose dirt like bulldust or loose sand when coming to a stop.

Its easy to be caught out and drive right through an intersection and get yourself killed by brakes (LACK OF) that are supposed to save you.

Like most things, they have limitations but my commodore ABS beats the nissan on all surfaces.

Sean
AnswerID: 13927

Follow Up By: Woddonnee - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 23:40

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 23:40
Thanks for the extra confirmation sean. Not sure if the brakes on the latest series is better or not?
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 8305

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 23:16

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 23:16
From the 4800 petrol release, the brakes were upgraded. This I think was the beginning of the GUIII series. I'm not sure if the upgrade extended to the 3.0TD or not but my salesman said it did...and we all know how honest they can be!!!
Anyway I have the 3.0L TD GUIII and the breaks seem good to me.

FollowupID: 8340

Follow Up By: Woddonnee - Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 00:32

Thursday, Feb 27, 2003 at 00:32
G'day again Andrew
Seems logical that they would upgrade them all.
I think they went a bit larger,,,,,,,,,
Just having a look at the latest brochure, here's what it says-
Every patrol in our range has large ventilated discs all round. The 4.8 litre petrol has larger front and rear brake rotors than the previous model which improve the cooling performance of the brakes.
Mmm, so not sure doesn't look like it.
Ah, you get more engine braking with the diesel anyway.
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 8345

Reply By: Member - Mal - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 14:29

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 14:29
Rod,
If you get the new vehicle dealer to fit extras to your vehicle before you buy it and the price rises above the luxury car tax threshold you will be paying 25% tax on the amount over the threshold, which I think is about $54,000.
Mal T.
AnswerID: 13991

Follow Up By: Woddonnee - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 16:12

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 16:12
Thanks Mal, I'll check into that.
cheers
Rod
FollowupID: 8332

Sponsored Links