Location of quarantine checkpoints

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:19
ThreadID: 35133 Views:15909 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

Can anyone provide me with the coordinates of two quarantine checkpoints?

(1) The WA Quarantine Inspection Service checkpoint on the Victoria Highway between Katherine and Kununurra, approximately 35 km east of Kununurra.

(2) The fruit fly checkpoint in South Australia on the B64 highway between Burra and Morgan, approximately 22 km northwest of Morgan.

Thanks for any assistance.

Bruce M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:57

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 10:57
Bruce, there is no checkpoint on the Morgan to Burra Rd. The location you refer to is the entrance to the fruit fly exclusion zone where you are not permitted to bring fruit or some vegetables or plants past these points. There is a Fruit Fly checking station at Yamba on the Sturt Highway approx 10k's east of Renmark. They will check all vehicles heading west from Victoria and confiscate any produce that they find. Heavy fines can and are applied to persons breaching the regulations.
Check the PIRSA website for more details.
AnswerID: 179633

Follow Up By: Bruce M - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:14

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:14
Not at all. Knowing where they are simply allows us to ensure that all fruit is consumed comfortably before arriving at that location.
FollowupID: 435853

Reply By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:37

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:37
why do you want to know the exact locations?...to bypass the check point?......if so I can only hope you get caught.........
AnswerID: 179642

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:12

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:12
Hear Hear
FollowupID: 435862

Follow Up By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:11

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:11
I too thought it a little strange. It is not as though you could miss them...If you wanted to consume all your fruit and veg then you do it before you get to or near the border as that is where most of them are located or very close to.

I've got this mental picture of someone in the car with a GPS counting down the K's until they get close then suddenly pull up an start eating.

Then again perhaps there was a more sinister plot, he could be a terrorist attempting to distrupt fresh food production by arranging an airstrike on the checking stations....
FollowupID: 435872

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:43

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:43
When you locate them, can you please enter these as new Places into the Places system - there is already a POI type for Quarantine, see Site Link but as you can see, there are currently only 2 there.

Also, we have an official document from the National Fruit Fly mob and I think their website will help you, if not there is a 1800 number. See the page I refer to is our Food and Water article, with a bookmarked heading for Quarantine - this link will take you direct to it - http://www.exploroz.com/infopages/tripprep7.asp#Quarantine

Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179650

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:05

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:05
Michelle

The link you gave in your last line is fairly comprehensive, the only things that page misses out on is the SA points.

There are two check points in SA not mentioned. There is one at Ceduna checking travellers from the west and the one Des Lexic mentioned.

SA can't seem to work out if they are in or out of the FEZ. No other state checks travellers crossing state borders within the FEZ. I contacted the liaison officer on the FEZ web site some years ago regarding this and also the signs advising travellers travelling from Vic to NSW that they can't bring fruit back with them. She advised that this would be fixed within 12 months. A lot of the Vic signs have come down but the SA problem still exists.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 435871

Follow Up By: StephenF10 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:00

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:00
PeterD,

I asked recently at Oodlawirra (the SA state checkpoint on the Barrier Hwy SW of Broken Hill) why was I being checked there when I had just left the FFZ at Broken Hill. I was told that he FFZ checkpoints and state border checkpoints are independent. The SA state checkpoint on the Sturt Hwy east of Renmark is within the FFZ yet they still check you. The state and FFZ checkpoints must have different lists of materials to search for.

Stephen.
FollowupID: 435879

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:23

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 15:23
There are Fruit Fly Checking Stations into SA at Ceduna, Oodlawirra, Renmark and Pinnaroo.
The reason for these check points is to stop travellers from bringing Fruit fly into the state. The cost to the local primary producers as a consequence to a fruit fly outbreak is enormous. Produce cannot then be sold overseas to the better paying markets and frankly the local prices that the growers are paid are not sustainable.
We have currently a Fruit fly Free status in the Riverland and our local economy is under enough strain from the oversupply of grapes and the importation of orange concetrate which is then mixed in with a small percentage of local product and sold as fresh juice.
I am no longer a fruit grower but I have personally felt the imposition of having overseas and local markets withdrawn through the thoughtless transportation of fruit bought into the district.
For the growers sake, don't try to smuggle fruit/vegies through the area. Anyway, you can by the stuff fresher and cheaper from the local roadside stalls.
OK I'm off my soap box now.
FollowupID: 435885

Reply By: JJ - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:44

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:44
Check out this site (exploroz.com); go to 'On the Road'; scroll down to Food & Water & you'll find all you need under Quarantine Regulations!
AnswerID: 179652

Reply By: Member - Stephen L- Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 13:14
Hi Bruce M
The Coordinates for the Burra Morgan Exclusion zone are
S33º 55' 00.5880" E139º 29' 26.5560"

There is only a bin at this location with warning signs before you reach this spot.

Hope this helps you out.

Stephen
Clare SA
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179659

Follow Up By: Bruce M - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 14:14
Many thanks Stephen. Your help is much appreciated.

Bruce M.
FollowupID: 435873

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:20

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:20
Bruce
we note that you have refrained from submitting a reply to some thoughts above...re your real requirements for wanting to know where they are...

all bins are very well sign posted as are check points...so to are signs warning one well in advance before coming upon the exclusion zones.....

so why the need for EXACT locations?

FollowupID: 435907

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:23

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:23
ooops sorry Bruce...didnt see your reply to Des

based on that reply forgive my evil thoughts of your possible actions....:))))
FollowupID: 435908

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:25

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:25
Re the Burra-Morgan one - there is a sign warning to eat fruit - so we ate a few of the nectarines we had recently purchased. Then we got to the zone and it says EAT FRUIT NOW. I've never eaten so many nectarines in one sitting.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 179719

Reply By: owenia - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 06:33

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 06:33
Good to know that folks are thinking about the dangers of ignoring the movement of potentially damaging plant pests and diseases. Without commonsense in people whom travel, horticulture and agriculture wouldn't be able to produce food as cheaply as we currently enjoy. Yes, eating a lot of nectrines all in one go was a necessary thing. My suggestion is to learn the art of preserving. That way, FF (Bactrocera spp) will not survive the journeys.
AnswerID: 179804

Sponsored Links