Tyre Pressures on Canning

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:16
ThreadID: 35151 Views:3126 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
just reading the book "Canning Stock Route" by Ronelle & Eric Gard. I have just read (on page 248) ".... Well 11 marks the start of the sand dunes proper. If you haven't needed to deflate your tyres up till now, maybe it is time to do so. For safety sake we do not recommend that you let your tyres down below 35 psi. Remember this is not a Sunday drive along the beach and you have a long way to go to get to Billiluna"

Well i was surprised that they recommended a minimum pressure as high as 35 psi. I was certainly thinking that pressures in the 20's would be the go, given the soft sand and low speed (notwithstanding that this is low for the weights carried)

what do you think?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:52

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 17:52
when we did the CSR we ran around 25psi cold in the rear, 20psi front of a very overladen troopy with 7.50x16's on splits.
The big problem is that there are lots of rocky sections interspersed with sand so you have to be very careful on the rocky bits.
Pressures will depend on tyre type and vehicle weight (usually overladen on the CSR ;-))
Daytime temps and time since wet weather will also affect the need to lower tyre pressures. I'd be inclined to start at about 25-30 if heavily laden and see how it goes.
AnswerID: 179707

Reply By: On Patrol - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:15

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:15
Hi Drew T
I read today in Overlander that a lot of the wells are closed to tourists now by the Aboriginal council (Martu) that owns the land around the track. Vic Widman was the author of said artical dated June 06. Entitled "Access to the Canning Banned!" Page 163. Vic is in confusion as to trips his company (Great Divide Tours) are making this year.

Do your homework to authenticate this so as not to be dissapointed. The wells in question includes wells 15 to 40.

Please check this out yourself and i hope its wrong for all concerned, as this year is the 100th anniversary of the epic journey of Alfred Canning.

:(

On Patrol.
AnswerID: 179717

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 20:59

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 20:59
Drew

See Post PostID: 34939 and PostID: 34975

But duck for cover

Richard
FollowupID: 435942

Reply By: Eric M - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 20:05

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 20:05
Hi Drew, I did the CSR in July 2004 in a Pathfinder loaded up to the hilt only carried what we needed. Travelled north to south did the entire CSR on 20lb, majority of track is corrugations, and I mean CORRUGATIONS, the ones in Eric Gards book aren't exagerated there are some bigger, most days 15-25 ks/hr. We were on the CSR 20 days quite an experience. Remember your tyres are your first defence in shock absorbing they need to be in good condition. 6 vehicles in our convoy and only 3 punctures on the CSR between them. We took it easy and smelt the roses, Calverton ranges, Sunday well, Durba Springs etc.
I originally put an article about the CSR restrictions on the forum when first published in the 4WDriver magazine about 6 weeks back, all you have to do is to appply for aboriginal permits if you are going to go off the actual CSR and visit various places as mentioned.
The restrictions were allegedly brought about by a group of travelling Victorians who told a group of indigenous people to move on when they were visiting sacred sites. It is all in the Western 4WDriver mag 59th winter.
Enjoy oyur trip and take care. EricM.
AnswerID: 179755

Follow Up By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 08:02

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 08:02
thanks Eric. I've done the Canning before & have applied for a permit this time .. just waitng to hear their response. My actual post though was regarding tyre pressures. When we did the canning last time we had our tyre pressures down in the 20's & was wondering why the Gard book was suggesting 35 minimum .. just seems a tad high?
FollowupID: 435991

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:57

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:57
Umm... interesting advice isn't it? Ever wondered why we don't stock their book in our shop??
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179843

Reply By: Member - Andy C (WA) - Friday, Jul 07, 2006 at 18:34

Friday, Jul 07, 2006 at 18:34
We were following Eric Gard (and one of his groups) up the CSR last year. The dunes were chopped up terribly and when we finally caught up to him at Well 33, he had done a shockie and one of his group had done four!

I ran my Nissan Navara with 265/75/15 Cooper ATRs at 18psi front and 20psi rear. Kept the speed comfortable and let the shockies cool for 15 mins every 2 hrs. Never a problem.

When in doubt, use the 4psi rule!
AnswerID: 182342

Sponsored Links