CSR sections closed by land council

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:20
ThreadID: 35156 Views:2207 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I read today in Overlander that a lot of the wells are closed to tourists now by the Aboriginal council (Martu) that owns the land around the track. Vic Widman was the author of said artical dated June 06. Entitled "Access to the Canning Banned!" Page 163. Vic is in confusion as to trips his company (Great Divide Tours) are making this year.

Do your homework to authenticate this so as not to be dissapointed. The wells in question includes wells 15 to 40.

Please check this out yourself and i hope its wrong for all concerned, as this year is the 100th anniversary of the epic journey of Alfred Canning.


On Patrol.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 18:45
" ............... .. . as this year is the 100th anniversary of the epic journey of Alfred Canning."

Why aren't I surprised at the timing?
AnswerID: 179724

Reply By: Member - Drew T (Melbourne) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:07

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:07
As described in a number of previous posts, they aren't categorically "closed". Access is now controlled by the Ngaanyatjarra Community & they are currently determining who, of those that have applied, will be given permission to detour off the main Canning Stock route to visit specific places (Durba, Killagurra etc).
AnswerID: 179732

Follow Up By: Lech - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 21:54

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 21:54
Arnhem Land and Colson Track are not categorically closed either.

Never been there though asked several times
FollowupID: 435954

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:35

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:35
I would be interested to hear from anyone that can define the actual CSR. As we all know the CSR has been re-alighned quite a few times over the years for various reasons. As a result of these alighnments many of the wells are no longer along the current alighnment of the CSR. You would in actual fact need to detour from the current alighnment to see them. If you wanted to you can still follow the original CSR albeit with a little more difficulty. Now to get back to my original question where is the definition of the CSR that we cannot depart from ??
AnswerID: 179742

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:53

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 19:53
I have not read the article and I probably wont, but I thought the Land Council had introduced a permit system and that is all that you need to do.
Recently I travelled East of kalgoorlie through aboriginal land - I applied for permits on line and printed off the permit at the same time - no big inconvenience to me - probably just a courtesy to the land owners
Just the same as travelling via station land - we phoned Fraser Range Station and told them where we were coming from - they informed us that to the best of their knowledge the tracks were in goog condition, but not to use them if there was any substantial rain
AnswerID: 179750

Reply By: lindsay - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 20:01

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 20:01
I have emailed & phoned them, as to what they determine to be the stock route. The vehicle track does not follow the gazetted route which is 5 miles wide. They told me I could go along the stock route without a permit however could not deviate from it. They could not answer the questiion and said they would ring me. Have not heard anything for 4 weeks now . We are going to go and stuff the permits. Their service to travellers is deplorable and needs to be treated with the resect it deserves. I have since heard that it is too hard to implement this year and that permits are not required as of yet.
Go and enjoy, the way it is going you won't be able to go anywhere in our great outback.
AnswerID: 179754

Follow Up By: pilbaradisco - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 23:08

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 23:08
I rang up today to enquire about getting permission to visit the Calvert Range and Durba spring etc. An info pack was emailed to me within two minutes of getting off the phone with application form.
I think it is best for everyone if people do the right thing. Their greatest concern at the monent is the 100 year tour that is being organised and advertising visiting all the differnt sites with no one asking for permission.

FollowupID: 435964

Follow Up By: Steve63 - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 10:55

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 10:55
Hi Glen,
Which phone number did you use?

FollowupID: 436018

Follow Up By: pilbaradisco - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:14

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:14
Hi Steve,
Phone No. is 9425 2000.

FollowupID: 436108

Follow Up By: Steve63 - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:27

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:27
Thanks Glen
FollowupID: 436110

Reply By: Ken - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 21:38

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006 at 21:38
Folks, I wonder if the current lot of angst about this icon trip is really all that well founded. I stand to be corrected but weren't all the wells ON the Canning Stock Route; not the current track through the desert but the genuine stock route.
I also understood that the Canning Stock Route has [or maybe had] some sort of heritage protection covernant/overlay on it, recognising its historical importance and effectively excising it from crown land and land subject to native title. This overlay I understood spanned some distance either side of the stock route which, as most people know, is generally not the present 4WD track known as the Canning Stock Route.
IF this is the case, then surely talk about permits and exclusions from the wells, be they dug by Alfred Canning and his team or rockholes soaks etc. modified by them, is a nonsense.
I have not seen any reference to this heritage overlay in any of the posts here recently but I'm sure I saw it somewhere when I was researching history of the Canning before my trip about 6 years ago. Has anyone out there heard of this 'heritage' status ??

It may well be that the current 4WD track is outside of the overlay and in fact on native controlled land in many places due to the difficulty early 4WD travellers had in crossing the dunes. Remember it was an unsupported 4cyl Landy that made the track that most now follow and the long sections along the dune corridor were necessary to find a spot where an overloaded, underpowered Landy could cross.
I think the track could have been in a very different place if the first vehicle had the power and performance of todays 4WD's

AnswerID: 179770

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:19

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:19
Google is your friend.....
Canning Stock Route
FollowupID: 436024

Follow Up By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:22

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:22

Definition of Indicative place

Indicative place

Data provided to or obtained by the Heritage Division has been entered into the database. However, a formal nomination has not been made and the Council has not received the data for assessment.

The data in the place does not necessarily represent the views of the Council or the Minister.


Guess this means it's not actually heritage listed.
FollowupID: 436025

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:55

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:55
Please refer to ExplorOz Newsletter #106 - dated 4th April Site Link where I advised our newsletter subscribers (20,000 people) of this situation - this information was confirmed direct with the Ngaanyatjarra Council Native Title Unit.

Please also refer to the Preparation section on the ExplorOz Canning Stock Route Trek Note - http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WDeserts/Canning_Stock_Route.asp#Preparation.

I am in receipt of various detailed documents from the Native Title Project Officer and have had numerous discussions with her about what information I can legally advise the public in relation to this. I am ensuring that I pass on everthing that we can by way of updates to our Trek, with additional notices as relevant in our Newsletters.

The number you need to contact to get information first hand is included on our CSR Trek Note and for those that want to see it here without taking the link it is Phone (08) 9425 2000.

Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 179842

Reply By: pilbaradisco - Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:42

Thursday, Jun 22, 2006 at 18:42
It does get a bit confusing. I applied for a access permit for Jigalong(which is a closed community now) early in the year through the Dept. of Indigenous Affairs. I also asked if I needed any other permits for the CSR and surounding areas and was told "no". It seems like the different groups don't talk to each other. I had just assumed the D.I.A covered all of W.A.

AnswerID: 179928

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)