Lilliput Touchscreen problems

Submitted: Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:17
ThreadID: 35209 Views:1480 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone opened up the back of an 8" Lilliput Touchscreen? (model no. 809GL-80NP/P/C/T).

My screen has developed a fault where the colour is washed out. It looks like there is too much blue or not enough red. I have played around with the cable, but it does not change the appearance. I opened the back by unscrewing the four screws, but then was confronted with a green board which I need to lift to see how the ribbon cable is connected to the RS232 plug. How do you do that without wrecking anything - I didn't notice any other screws, but there must be some!

Thanks for any assistance.

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:28

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:28
Hi Peter,

With the colour issue, it is more likely a fault with the TFT screen itself rather than the touch surface (which would be the component using the RS232). The screen would be using the VGA D-sub connector but via some circuitry.

Usually there will be a flat ribbon connector -usually about 1-2" wide for the TFT screen that will be locked into a plastic connector - sometimes with a little lever, sometimes just one side of it sort of flips.

This connection between the circuitry and the screen usually includes the power and control of the screen, and could be the problem, or the screen itself is the problem.

These could well be constructed with double-sided flexible adhesive tape to bond it to the curcuit board. Laptops usually have a flange at the front that comes off (sometimes with lugs or plugs) revealing a metal frame that has screws mounting it to the main circuitry and mechanical structure of the unit.

AnswerID: 180045

Follow Up By: pprass - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:03

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 13:03
Thanks Andrew for the detailed explanation. It seems then that I need to begin by getting to that ribbon cable under the green board to find out if there is a bad connection. If that proves to be ok - then look at replacing the TFT screen itself.
FollowupID: 436251

Sponsored Links