Help with, Toyota Fj73 SWB

Submitted: Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 16:16
ThreadID: 35217 Views:5900 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Have just looked over a Toyota Fj73 SWB, 3F engine 5 speed Manuel with Duel battery’s, A/C, rear Axillary Power plugs in the back + Inverter, with a friend from work, he wants it Just for 4Wding

They are Asking is $4400 in WA with Warranty and will not move on the price we have tried.

It has 298,000K on it and is in visually good conation inside and out, how good are these engines?, It puffed a bit of smoke on start up but then ran clean.

Problems I can see are> Rear Main seal
Front Crankshaft seal.
Possible Front Axle seals> Drops of what appeared to be Diff oil on the bottom inside of the tyre and around like wheel bearing, Hub sorter area past the CV’s
And possible Transfer or gearbox oil leak, Location or cause I am not sure of.

What other things should I be looking for (Will check the 4WD system tomorrow on the test drive) what hidden problems may I of not seen and should I look for tomorrow as I am not that Knowable with the Toyo stuff.

1Rear main> A PITA but he can live with it as long as it isn’t too bad; We Don’t really what to drop the G/Box to fix it> Might try for warranty.
2.Front seal> No Problems we will just replace the seal
3.Axle seals> what is the go hear, How hard are these to do and any other damage that they may have caused, Warranty agene Maybe.
4. Gear box/TCase, any thoughts about where the leak could be> I can’t seem to pin point it.

Thanks People

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 18:45

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 18:45
Bump

Anyone, anything
AnswerID: 180119

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:10

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:10
A 20 year old LandCruiser with 300,000k can have anything wrong with it. Thats why its only costing $4400. Its always a gamble. But fundamentally they were a solid reliable vehicle. There will always be something to fix - up to you whether you chase the odd oil leak or just live with it.

But what is certain is that the 3F motor guzzles the juice. Its normally a solid reliable motor and relatively cheap to fix.

I'm surprised they are offering a warranty. I thouht there was no obligation for vehicles over 14 years or over 200k.
AnswerID: 180122

Follow Up By: Exploder - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:41

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:41
Yeah that basically what I told him, that with 300,000k it’s bound to have a few leaks around the place.

The only thing we don’t what to do is drop the gearbox to do the rear main, the gearbox leak we can trace with a solid degreasing and go from there

I said it would be good to just degrees the F**k out of the engine and G/Box and come back in a month and see how bad the leaks really are.

It’s not a Daly driver, Will basically sit in the shed and just be used off-road so the odd leak isn’t a big problem.
The only thing that I was a little worried about was the front axle seals and how hard are they to replace.

Will be going along for a test drive and to check the 4WD system is all-good tomorrow, Will have a closer look at the gearbox and rear main after it has heated up a bit.

It is in surprisingly good nick for it’s age, but once I looked underneath I thought I might need to look at it a bit closer.

I just don’t want to recommend something that he will need to fix all the time.

Cheers. Phil

FollowupID: 436348

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:30

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:30
Front axle seals cost $12each from Toyota. Again, its not a problem you have to chase. If the diff oil gets into the swivel hubs, they are still lubricated fine. If the moly grease gets into the diff oil, its still fine. Those dribble leaks are usually just a nuisance, but get soaked up by dust and dirt anyway. To replace them though is a couple of hours labour per side. But at the same time, you can regrease the wheel bearings, remove the front CVs and replace the seal (just prise it out) and repack the swivel hub with black grease. I normally wouldn't go the whole hog by replacing the wiper seals. A workshop will want to do a complete job though ($$$), and may want to replace the swivel hub bearings if they have gone "bumpy".
If you DIY, then this link may help.

It sounds like its pretty good 4wd for the money, but the cost of fuel might be driving the prices of these older fuel hungry vehicles down. Also, I'd assume that its OK with unleaded - most of the 73's were post '86.
FollowupID: 436416

Reply By: ross - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 16:15

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 16:15
The oil leaks can be from the sump gasket or the rocker cover and leaking down but a rear mains leak would be normal at those klms.

The front axle service is usually about 6-7 hours labour. If the front disc rotors are worn out it is advisable to do this while its apart. $700-800

The gearboxs can jump out of gear often 5th or 1st.

The seal between the g/box and t/case can go which causes the t/case oil to run uphill into the g/box.You can check it by undoing the upper plug on the gearbox.
If oil pours out the seal is gone. A bypass hose can fix it temp and if it already has one,you know why its there;)
Once you start fixing fixing the g/box t/case you might as well do a full rebuild.$2500

The engines are usually on their way out at those klms unless there has been meticulous maintenance.
They can be rebuilt for $2250 with a 12/20 warranty and you install.

Expect about 15-17 mpg or 20 litres per 100klms:(

Have a good look at the springs. If they are parting or some leaves are flat/straight then it needs new springs/bushes/shackles,about $1500.

Check the drivesahfts for signs of grease. There are also grease nipples on the steering.

The steering should have no play or clunks ect.
Steering box is $700,pump $300 and $2-300 for tie rod ends

If it has f/g flares they can often have hidden rust underneath them.

I have been driving one of these for 4 years and have converted it to diesel and spent bucket loads of money however it is one of the best offroad vehicles you can get.
The f/g roof doesnt rust and the windscreen is replaceable which makes them long lasting.
At $4400 you can expect to spend as much again getting them up to scratch.
If it has a good body then it is worth it.
AnswerID: 180271

Follow Up By: Exploder - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:29

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:29
Thanks.

The Rotors are all new 2 years ago
It’s had new HD sprigs fitted in 02

The engine starts and idles ok, but blows a puff of Oil smoke on the first start, no sludge inside the rocker cover, but the rocker gear is dirty as would be expected with 300,000 on the clock.

The gearbox has oil all over it so it’s possible that seal is stuffed, can always band aid fix it with the hose but.

The repair work we can do (mecky Fitters), He just doesn’t what to buy it and have to spend every weekend working on the thing and nether do I, LOL, I.E rebuilding boxes and the motor would not be on the cards, he already has one restoration project (EH Holden) on the go so doesn’t need a second.

It will basically be used 1 or 2 times a month just to take on the beach and into the hills as well as the odd trip so it will be doing bleep all K’s, maybe 4-6000 a year at the most.

The car looks as if it has done manly country K’s, service records are all over the place from Perth to northern WA and the NT over to NSW it’s being sold in Perth 1 block from the dealership it was originally brought from, It is in surprisingly good condition apart from the oil leaks.LOL
FollowupID: 436560

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:10

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:10
Smoke on stat up means valve stem seals. Will also blow smoke down hill under engine braking as it will suck oil past the valves. Not really a worry, just means it is getting worn which you already know.
AnswerID: 180310

Reply By: ross - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:30

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:30
Sounds ok to me. Im sure you will find its capabilities more than adequate for your intended purpose.

Which caryard did you say??;)
AnswerID: 180349

Follow Up By: Exploder - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 18:34

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 18:34
Its Near Galleria Toyota in Morley, Can’t remember the name of the car yard but.

I think he is picking it up on Thursday, Is having one last look at it today to decide on it.

FollowupID: 436693

Follow Up By: ross - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 21:13

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 21:13
Just joking,you normally keep car bargain location to yourself until you have it in the driveway;)
FollowupID: 436740

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 19:09

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 19:09
Doesn’t matter he is not getting it anymore anyway, He had a talk to a Land cruiser nut at work and he recons it would of used 17Ltes per 100 on the Hwy so figured it wasn’t worth it.
FollowupID: 436927

Follow Up By: ross - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 19:30

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 19:30
I may be interested in having a look .Can you tell me which yard or road its on?
FollowupID: 436933

Sponsored Links