Croajingalong.....one last try!

Submitted: Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:09
ThreadID: 35223 Views:1956 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hey there peoples!

This is my lastest attempt at finding camping suggestions for Croajingalong. Seem to get answers, but nobody wants to suggest some specifics? Picky bugger aren't I! Ok here we go *queit
*Near or on the water
*Fishing
*And as far away from everybody else as possible!

Am I only dreaming, or is this feasable? We will be heading up there in November, cup week actually. If Jodi is reading this, I know she has plenty of experience with this park. Fire away!

Cheers Matt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: A.J - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:46

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:46
Shipwreck Creek, just out of 'Coota.. . . . . . . that's Mallacoota. Mind you, has been some time since I was there and the "Powers that be" may have stopped access, but has what you require, failing that, you could try. . . . . .nah I'm gonna keep that one secret! LOL
Good luck
A.J
AnswerID: 180127

Follow Up By: mattfinish - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:59

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:59
Ohh come on A.J.....noone else is looking! Come on mate tell me this secret spot......please?
FollowupID: 436352

Follow Up By: A.J - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 20:06

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 20:06
I would, but then I'd have to kill you, and anyone else that read the post. . . . . .
Some things are best left to be discovered on your own, as Mike says in the next post, get in there and drive around a bit.
Sorry I can't tell you, but if you look hard enough you will find what you're after.
A.J
FollowupID: 436355

Follow Up By: mattfinish - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 22:08

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 22:08
Fair enough, we don't want any bloodshed. I might use shipwreck as a base for the first few days at least. And do some scouting around, maybe I will uncover this mysterious place you speak of! I know the feeling AJ, there a lot of great places I would have loved to have kept a secret. But instead today most of them have been trashed by the fundamentalist 4wd faction. I think we all have to work hard to protect our special places out there in the national parks and forests. Catch you out there AJ, I'll be one of the blokes not winching myself out of an avoidable bog hole!..lol. Take care and thanks for your replys, Matt.
FollowupID: 436378

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:54

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 19:54
Go down there and drive around a bit...?
AnswerID: 180130

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 23:32

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 23:32
I think hes expecting someoen to drive him there and setup camp for him and stick the wiggly thing on the hook
FollowupID: 436390

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:02

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:02
I guess Matt that most like I have bypassed the turn off to Mallacoota as it is 50km in there. I used to have good knowledge some of the people in there too but that was about 27 years ago and I was staying in some mud brick flats there and not looking to camping spots. Catching the odd flathead, pullin up some yummy oysters off the bottom and a veg out was all part of the week.

Didn't have the 4by then either so where I drove had limits. The distance beyond Bairnsdale where the rellies were made it just another three hours on top of that distance :^( I guess it wasn't something we undertook lightly 9-10 hours from here.

p.s. The people there were ok
AnswerID: 180168

Follow Up By: Spike me - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 19:10

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 19:10
The turn off into here is only 23 kms. an easy 15 minute drive. Most areas south of Mallacoota are not available for camping however you could probably get away with it. The area between Mallacoota and Shipwreck creek are patrolled regularly by the National Parks people and you will get asked to move along. There are however a few allocated spots further south of here that can be booked by the DSE at Mallacoota. They are not waterfront but as close as you can get. Most of the natural bush now has fencing and posts restricting access. We now live in a Nanny State where everything is over policed and over protected. For more natural camping spots I would avoid Croajingalong as you will feel like herded sheep here.

Also most of the bush driving tracks are shut now too including the old coast road from Cape Conran to Mallacoota. It is just not much fun here anymore. Sorry.
FollowupID: 436701

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 19:44

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 19:44
Q: So... why don't we allow people into all these protected bush areas?

A: We need to protect them.

Q: Why?

A: So that future generations will have the benefit of them.

Q: Oh... so in X years time they'll be opened up again and our children will be allowed to use them?

A: Of course not!

Q: Why?

A: We need to protect them.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 436710

Reply By: Jodi - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 13:12

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 13:12
Hi Matt,

We do most of our camping at Wingan and Thurra. Thurra is beautiful and dead quiet all year round except for school holidays. Camps pretty much on the water (inlet), private sites even though there are many of them and even though there are shared fireplace, there are so few people there that usually you pick a site next to a fire area and have it to yourself for the stay. It's a very very very short walk over the sand dune to the beach. We have fished there a lot and not had much luck in getting stuff that is edible, we have had several skate though that take forever to get in. Apparently they are edible but by the time we get them in we are so tired and the poor things have these eyes that look at you so we let them go - they are huge though and it takes 2 or 3 of us to get them back out.

Wingan is awesome. Same deal with camp spots, on the inlet, great fishing in the inlet - best spots are got to by small boat although we have caught bream and perch off the jetty (bigger stuff from the Kayak). About a 20 minute walk to the surf beach where we have had great success fishing for salmon - though the walk is a bit of a deterrent with all the fishing gear - it is a pretty walk though with part of it boardwalk and part sandy, beautiful at sunset.

Mueller, smack bang on the inlet. Need a boat to get to the surf beach although the fishing in the inlet is great. No fires at this spot though.

We have not done Peachtree creek on Tamboon as we do not have motorised boat - just kayak and we like easy access to surf for fishing. Here you need a boat to get to the surf although I have been told that Peachtree is the best for fishing.

We tried to get to shipwreck once but unfortunately parks had closed the road as a storm had gone through the day before and we couldn't get through.

I hope this helps. I'm working at the moment so logging off, however will check in again tomorrow if you have any more questions.
AnswerID: 180189

Reply By: mattfinish - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:31

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:31
G'day Jodi,

Thanks for your detailed reply, thats great information. Glad I had one last try! Jodi have you been in there during that cup week period before? It all sounds so good especially if its not busy! I really hope to get myself an inflatable canoe by then, so we can explore some back waters and get amonst those fish. * Americans make some truely awesome inflatable canoes eg; Stearns etc. But by the time you land them here $1000+ Such a shame we don't build them here, I can't find any so far? Would love one to take with me to the Cro!
So Jodi, it sounds like there is fire place restrictions in the park. Do you have to take your own wood supplies or can you collect it within the park? Do I bother taking a chainsaw?
Thanks again Jodi, you have been a great help
Cheers Matt.
AnswerID: 180216

Follow Up By: Jodi - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:33

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:33
Hi Matt,

Best to take your own timber, it's a National Park and so all the normal NP rules apply with regard to firewood (and yes, the rangers do hang around. We got questioned by rangers just for having the chainsaw out behind the tent even though it hadn't been used anywhere near the park, we were on a long trip and had it for other camping spots). At Thurra River the guy comes through each day at about 4 to collect fees etc, he also sells firewood if you're really stuck (and I mean stuck, it's not cheap and not always completely dry).

We have been in there Cup Weekend, there are a few more people, however still no probs finding a private spot in the main camping areas. It's still worth going. Croajinolong is a beautiful part of the world. Good to check out and walk around. Just make sure you take care of it, it's one of the only places left that's easily accessible by people without a 4WD that hasn't been damaged and closed by parks. As for the other areas to visit, like others on this site have said, take a look around yourself. It's well worth the effort. I don't want to give away the nice little places either - we are on the net afterall, and if we give away those places they are no longer nice little places. Besides, if you find it yourself you enjoy it so much more.

I do promise though that you wont be dissapointed with the main camping areas. Now you just have to order the right weather for your trip.
FollowupID: 436616

Reply By: mattfinish - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:06

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:06
Thanks Jodi, your a little champ! Don't worry I will look after it like it. I leave campsites in better condition then I find them. Which actually and unfortunately is not hard these days! Thanks for the wood advice. Not much point in taking the chain saw at all. That will create some more space for other gear, so thats alright. Im really busy trying to find one of those inflatable canoes....under $1000. Its not as easy as it seems! The Americans are laughing, so much great stuff over there for just a few hundred bucks! Lucky buggers.

And yep, shall put in my order for brilliant weather right away! I promise to let you know how the trip goes. Just hope now nothing prevents me from going.

Wish me luck! Cheers Matt.
AnswerID: 180380

Sponsored Links