More biodiesel tax

Submitted: Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 23:21
ThreadID: 35229 Views:2347 Replies:9 FollowUps:35
This Thread has been Archived
Seems like biodisel manufacturers are to have their tax relief removed if a new bill passes. Does this government and the opposition look into the future at all? Are they too busy watching their bums therefore looking backwards? What aren't they telling us about their $10 billion budget surplus?

From the ABC web site:

"He and the Democrats oppose a Government plan to scrap a tax advantage for biodiesel.

At one stage, Barnaby Joyce told the Senate it looked like big oil companies are driving the Government's policy.

BARNABY JOYCE: I would suggest that there's been some strong lobbying by the major oil companies to determine what that standard is, because, in essence, they're still getting a form of double dipping".

Surely it would be in everyones best interests if big oil companies diversified into wind, solar and biofuels rather than clinging onto soon to be outdated crude oil.

We all complain about the price of fuel, it will only keep rising, $3 a litre will be on the cards in the next 5 years, guarunteed.

There is a potentially huge international market in biofuels, no wonder Australia has a massive trade debt.

My 2cents (sorry $1.48) worth

Barnesy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 23:40

Friday, Jun 23, 2006 at 23:40
Barnesy,
Oil companies and for that matter any company has absolutely no interest in you and I unless we are majority and big majority shareholders.

"Surely it would be in everyones best interests if big oil companies diversified into wind, solar and biofuels rather than clinging onto soon to be outdated crude oil."

Well maybe, or maybe they are trickling out the future at a rate that maximises their current low cost to high profit ratios. After all, they already own the refineries and are looking to maximise the returns on their current infrastructure investments.

I'm sure you've heard of BP Solar. How far and how fast could this technology fly if it was absolutely critical to BP's existence?
Or the Sarich Rotary Engine. Remember Ralph Sarich? Fitter and Turner from WA who invented that revolutionary rotary engine. Again BP got involved and bought him out! Where's Ralph Sarich today? BP's first step was to send the poor under educated fitter to university. "Whew, got rid of that threat"

Right now big oil companies know that fossil fuel is the cheapest path to a fat bottom line available to them.

Once the cheap path is gone they'll roll out the alternatives, after all they don't have any desire to go out of business.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 180155

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 00:02

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 00:02
That all is true Geoff. But it's our government's first job to do what's best for the long term good of Australia, not the bottom line of massive international oil companies.

How good would it be for us if in 50 years we were completely self sufficient and didn't have to import any fuel? Who's stopping BP from producing biofuels now? When crude becomes unviable all of the infrastructure will be theirs and they will be well ahead of their competition. Surely they see that.

In 50 years biofuels will be big, as they already are in Europe and South America. We need foresight so we don't get left behind, not increasing current tax rates to appease oil executives.
FollowupID: 436393

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 00:19

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 00:19
Hi Barnesy,
I do so much agree with your sentiment on this. The theoretical first job of our government is to do what's best for Australia, unfortunately they very often fall short in the area of turning theory into practice.

I'll digress a tad and then come back. I work for a Japanese company. Short term planning to them is 10 years. Long term is measured in generations.

To an Australian company and the referee for Australian companies our government, long term is the next election. Short term is waking up and not finding a pimple on the end of their collective noses.

What is needed is what I believe you are alluding too, a total change in the way our politicians think.

Isn't that an Oxymoron, the use of politician and think in the one sentence?

BioDiesel and alternative fuels in general are moving in this country and they are gaining momentum. There are some good things on the horizon in this field.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 436394

Follow Up By: Member - John R (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 06:15

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 06:15
I think Felix(?) Wankel invented the rotary engine, and Ralph Sarich the Orbital. Must have been a decent bit of kit for BP to buy it out.....
FollowupID: 436401

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 08:53

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 08:53
John,
I stand corrected, you are 100% correct on Sarich and the Orbital Engine.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 436408

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 00:26

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 00:26
It was BHP not BP who bought Sarich out.
Better fire your researcher Geoff!!

Hate to throw water on the fire but at the time BHP was barely playing with energy developments, so would hardly be a contender for a conspiracy theory on the subject
See below

Ralph Sarich of Perth first won fame when he was named Inventor of the Year on ABC TV's “The Inventors” program in 1972. His invention was an orbital engine that used only one triangular shaped piston to create five combustion chambers as it orbited inside a single cylinder.

Huge support from the media, and investments by the public, governments and BHP enabled Sarich to take the engine further. In 1983 it was as good as it was going to get, but still not good enough to replace normal car engines.

FollowupID: 436477

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 09:40

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 09:40
Hi Barnsey,

As mentioned above, the major initial invesment in Orbital came from BHP.
The Orbital engine development ceased in the very early 80s, not due any conspiracy or buy out, simply because it was not a manufacturable in terms of tolerances, etc for the concept to work. A lot of effort went into development of a two-stroke auto engine (for Ford). Whilst this was successfully developed, it missed major product release milestone and never made it to production. The fuel injection technology developed in parallel has been progressed and is now in production on many two-stroke engine applications globally (outboards, PWCs, motorcycles and soon rickshaws) and development programs for a range of four-stroke opportunities.

There are lots of urban myths about buy outs, US ownership, etc. The fact is that Orbital is a publicly listed company on the ASX, with the usual spread of small and institutional investors. It remains Australian based (in Perth), with 50% ownership (& 50% Siemens VDO) of a JV company (Synerject) in the US which manufactures the fuel injection system and looks after system integration. Over the past four years, the Perth activity has evolved into a global powertrain Engineering Services business rather than just focused on Orbital technology, though royalty/licence income and system sales (from Synerject) remain the other income streams.

Sorry for the sideline from biodiesel but I thought it might be interesting to know what happened. For the record, I've been with Orbital since '92 and am currently an engineering manager (projects and R&D). Refer website if interested Orbital Website"

Regards,
Hugh
FollowupID: 436495

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:58

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:58
Sorry Geoff, The post above should have been addressed to you.
Hugh
FollowupID: 436549

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:08

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:08
Hi Hugh,
Thanks for the update, goes to show that people who are usually right on the money can often make mistakes.
I got my information from the ubiquitous mate, normally Rob is absolutely spot on when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Thank's for correcting my spurious information.
To all other readers, please disregard my contributions to this post regards the Orbital Engine Comapny.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 436550

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 08:51

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 08:51
The Govt just can't wait to get its sticky little fingers on anything that might involve a $ , can it. Doesn't matter if its of national importance such as alt fuels, or the compensation payments for poor asbestos victims !
Their philosophy appears to be, "buggar you Jack, I'm OK". Yes I know its the best country in the world...especially for some!
AnswerID: 180164

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:07

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:07
Yeh Footloose, just saw on the news that Johnnies tax office is taxing asbestos compensation payouts from James Hardie.

Isn't a $10 billion budget surplus enough? They keep telling everyone they're good at managing the economy, ripping off these poor people is not managing money, it's stealing.
FollowupID: 436449

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:53

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 09:53
The main problem with biofuels from the oil companies view is that their elitist and monopolistic hold on fuel is at threat.

One of great things about biofuel is that it doesn't need a huge refinery and many small plants could be built near the fuel source (across country areas) and these huge mutlinationals would lose their grip.

Unfortunately, multinationals today dictate to governments what legislation they want and the government obey. I don't know what happen to government by the people for the people.

We currently have government by yesmen for the profit of mutlinationals with load of propaganda saying it is in the interets of the people.

Oops my soap box time has run out!
AnswerID: 180176

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 10:14

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 10:14
You blokes really annoy me! Can't you see that these politicians need every cent they can scrounge to pay for necessities in infrastructure, bigger, better rail & transport systems, better roads, more staff in hospitals, Education, better equipped emergency services, Parking meters that print out their own infringement notices & transmit same electronically to the motorist who by and large gets the benifits of all these taxes? Can't you all see that?

Now if they took taxes of fuel how, expletive deleted, would they pay for their own superannuation? Tell me How?

My sister once refused to vote in an election. In due course she went before a magistrate as she refused to pay the $180 fine. Her defence was they they were all a bunch of petty crims & Arthur Daly types & not worthy of her vote. Curiously enough the magistrate stalled proceedings & told her to get legal representation as these were "Very serious allegations". Even more curiously the day before she was to reappear in Court the State Government sacked the Council....
The only power we have as electors is to stand our ground at election time, I recon this upcoming federal election may just see fuel prices as an Issue.... Either that or the Prime Miniture does not want reelection.

What stunned me was immediatly after the announcement of yet another enquiry into fuel price hikes that several Pollies came out and said that there will be no evidence of price hiking by the Oil companies...
AnswerID: 180180

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 15:50

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 15:50
I agree about voting with our feet but who do you intend replacing the curent govt with ???
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 436432

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:16

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:16
Yep, we've got two restaurants, they both serve a damn fine chit sandwich!

Every four years we get to choose,

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 436444

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 18:53

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 18:53
yeah if I could guarantee that one party was any better than the other then I would join, I'm a veteran & I refuse to even join the Veterans party, their ideas are to radical & would not be popular in general....
Untill such times as there is some decent alternative I'll stick to my "Peter Lalor" roll & just keep things boiling, I recon that though we Aussies are an apathetic lot it will get to the point where some politician will throw the last straw onto our collective backs & we will rise up as one, under the Southern Cross, to defend our hard fought for rights against corruption & collonial rule etc. etc.
You think I could maybe get a job writing rethoric for the Labour party???Perhaps we should bring back the "Fish & Chip shop" MP...
FollowupID: 436448

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:08

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:08
I say Fawlty,
The "Fish 'n' Chip" MP whether you liked her or not did one thing. She upset the status quo.
There's one thing the "Yes Minister" crowd can't handle it's unscheduled spontaneous behaviour.
Yep, even if you wave a carrot at a donkey long enough without feeding it, even it'll eventually tell you to belt your wagon up your arse. About time some politicians put the service back into public.

Fawlty, I don't think you'd ever be labour, Manuel maybe you never.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 436450

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:15

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:15
The fish and chip shop MP is where she belongs, making fish & chips. Maybe she could donate some of her shop's used vege oil to the biodiesel industry.

FollowupID: 436452

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 13:06

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 13:06
The fish and chip saga tapped into a lot of resentment within the community, but she had two main faults. She was naieve, and she wasn't a great judge of people (those advisors and senior members of that party), and simplistic, but she certainly had a big following in some places.
Two points.
She went down the slippery pole thanks to political interference. She was jailed for far less than what is seen in some political circles as being fair and honest ! The word went out to get here and by golly they did. (and thats a matter of public record..and a lesson for like minded people?)
Her racist views. Reported overseas, especially in the Asian press. But reading the articles on anything Australian by that press and see how racist THEY can be.
Despite my personal dislike of the personalities and philosophies involved, she almost upset the status quo. And there's got to be something good about that :))
FollowupID: 436510

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 13:10

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 13:10
Geoff, thats a great way of putting it ! Unfortunately I can't find another decent restaurant anywhere.
FollowupID: 436511

Reply By: Member - Rotord - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 11:42

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 11:42
What a load of bollocks !

First , the tax issue . Bio fuels will be produced by privare companies . To give private companies a ' tax break ' is to subsidise them . If bio fuels make economic sense then the companies producing them don't need my tax dollars to subsidise them .

Secondly , all this whinging about governments and politicians is just that , whinging . We live in the best country in the world , free , and with the best type of government . I served 21 years in the military , including a year in Vietnam and was prepared to die for this country and its government . If you don't like our democracy , just what sort of dictatorship do you want ?
AnswerID: 180187

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 15:18

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 15:18
The thing with biofuels Rotord is that they will be a matter of necessity in the near future. We need to do everything we can to get them off the ground and get biofuels into servos. If that means tax breaks then so be it.

Tax breaks only annoy 1 group of people, massively wealthy, powerful, greedy multinational oil companies who don't want anybody taking over their stranglehold on the fuel market.

Thankfully getting biofuels off the ground won't involve anybody having to go to war and risking their life for the cause.
FollowupID: 436431

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 15:54

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 15:54
It kinda shows!!!!!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 436433

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 16:00

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 16:00
Rotord, The fact we can whinge about stupid decisions our government makes, openly protest on the streets without getting shot or tear-gassed is proof enough Australia is the best in the world.

Doesn't mean we should stop trying to make it better. Simply accepting everything the government does is the best without ever questioning it won't improve anything.
FollowupID: 436434

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 16:59

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 16:59
I don't know how anyone who was in Nam could possibly trust ANY Govt !
FollowupID: 436440

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:11

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:11
Footloose.... Join up we me & we will take the bastards on....Never have so many been fooled by so few for so long... We will fight them on the beaches, we will fight them at the bowser....
FollowupID: 436451

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:29

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 19:29
Great idea Fawly, we'd win no worries. But err...when we get rid of em, what are we going to do about foreign relations ? I like my relationships to be a bit closer to home :) Which fighter jet, what about the greenies, how we gonna stay in power without big business ...there goes the super fund....and do you rekkon we could shift Canberra just a tad north ...like about the Gold Coast ? LOL
FollowupID: 436453

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 11:47

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 11:47
ROTORD
FollowupID: 436504

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 11:57

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 11:57
rotord,
first bit of sense really I have read here! Biofuels, great as a stop gap, are unlikely to EVER come anywhere near a replacement for mineral fuel. I have read that for Australia to grow enough oil crops to supply her needs would require nearly half of all the cropping land here. The future, like it or not is likely to be in hydrogen fuel cells.

Also, why not have a suggestion to replace the government before telling everyone how bleep it is.

Knockers abound, but even a remotely sensible alternative has not come to light on this thread yet!

Fuel Tax - Australia has the third lowest fuel excise in the western world. Check out the prices around the world for yourself.
And before quoting NZ's diesel price, factor in that you have to pay road tax on diesel and LPG/CNG there. Do the calcs and you will see they are no better off.
FollowupID: 436505

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:35

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:35
Here we go again.
AFAIK One large South American country is almost mineral fuel import free. They GROW their alt fuel. Why can't we ? Certainly we won't replace mineral fuels in the short term, but to dismiss out of hand the effects that such schemes would have on our import of oil smacks of either ignorance or vested interest.
"Also, why not have a suggestion to replace the government before telling everyone how bleep it is."

It's called democracy! And it thrives on criticism.

And if you REALLY want some suggestions, lets have FREE voting instead of being compelled to vote. And lets have a system where coalition Govts are banned. How can anyone have a "mandate" with less than 50% of the vote ? Lets have a cap on backbenchers travel allowance, and make sure their electoral allowances are spent properly. Let's make sure that the House of Review, the Senate, is unable to be controlled by the ruling Govt. Lets review our system with a view to reducing the number of snouts in the trough. Lets review electoral boundary re drawing, and branch stacking. And lets have a PUBLIC and INDEPENDENT panel to set politicians pay rises. Lets legislate to have the same lobbying access to the Govts ear by all approved groups.
Now there's a start. Notice how I didn't say that you either agree or shut up ?
I could continue, but this is a 4wd forum and not a political one.

FollowupID: 436507

Follow Up By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 13:13

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 13:13
Ecellent points, Footie. And it certainly doesn't seem too democratic at the moment, it's almost a dictatorship with them having control of the senate.
FollowupID: 436512

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 15:03

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 15:03
"Here we go again.
AFAIK One large South American country is almost mineral fuel import free. They GROW their alt fuel."

Which one? so we can check it out and see how they do it?
FollowupID: 436516

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 15:59

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 15:59
Brazil. www.gasandoil.com/goc/news/ntn52539.htm
I posted about this recently, but can't remember the post number sorry.
FollowupID: 436519

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 15:44

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 15:44
Sarach still has a HUGE busines in the USA, HUGE!! They specialise in fuel injection systems for the automotive industry worldwide.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 180198

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 16:10

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 16:10
That he does Michael,
My point was he invented the engine that was destined to change the world.
A large multi-national oil company bought the technology out and basically buried it!
Good luck to him, a very clever man.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 436437

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 16:25

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 16:25
Geoff!! I dont know for sure, but i think maybe they couldn't perfect that rotary engine, he did manage to get some 2 stroke engines into production cars but thats all i know. Maybe there was more money to be made or maybe easier money in what they are doing now. I must do a bit of search on the net, I agree, a clever man he is. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 436438

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:12

Saturday, Jun 24, 2006 at 17:12
Michael,
Yep I do believe you are on the right track, getting it into production I understand wasn't going to be cheap.
That's also my point, right now the return on investment for BP et all is greater refining hydro-carbons and charging whatever they can, rather than developing alternative technologies.
This is also where a government can show some leadership by creating an environment that encourages alternative thinking.
Whereas for the bio-diesel manufacturers they're looking for a good return on investment from an alternative that is also renewable.

Some transparency and honesty in the world of government and corporate sectors would be downright refreshing!

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 436442

Follow Up By: Member - Dexter - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 15:15

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 15:15
Back to bio-fuel:
Brazils cane sugar based ethanol policy worked because of a set of fairly unique circumstances. Distortion of the economics by selective taxation is just as likely to hurt primary producers by raising the price of grain. Cane sugar may not be the cheapest path to ethanol in Australia. Bio-oil production from sunflower, soy or rapeseed may also competitively impact in other ways.

With the current technology, there's not enough land and not enough water to grow enough bio-oil to meet anything other than a small fraction of our oil needs.

If oil supply has peaked (as some in the industry suggest) and if China and India continue to increase oil consumption as they are now, then oil price rises are inevitable. This will eventually make bio-fuel more competitive with fossil oil.

The innovators, early acquirers and pioneers who are gamely building the bio-oil industry right now have got history and economics on their side. I'd prefer to keep the tax and have it spent funding local research on microbiologically-sourced bio-oil production. At least that technology has a chance of replacing fossil oil.

FollowupID: 436518

Follow Up By: Barnesy - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:38

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 18:38
Do you honestly believe Dexter that the proceeds on tax from biodiesel will go to fund scientific research? Or do you think it will fund the pay rise the pollies just got a couple of days ago?

Some are saying the removal of this excise will effectively kill the industry before really even gets giong. How much tax would there be after that?

The squeeky wheel gets the grease, and right now biodiesel needs grease in the form of govenment help.

No, this decision is another example of the Libs sucking up to big business, right or wrong, it doesn't go any deeper than that.
FollowupID: 436543

Follow Up By: Member - Dexter - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:47

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 21:47
Hello Barnesy,
No - I don't believe that they'll do it. I don't trust the bustards any more than you. The removal of the excise holiday will certainly delay the development of the bio-fuel industry. But, it won't stop it. The ever rising fossil oil price will eventually bring it into play. However, I feel your pain over lost opportunities to fast-track something that will eventually be a normal part of our energy landscape.

I just hope that Westinghouse, GE, Hitachi and the rest of the nuclear manufacturers club don't make that dead-end technology part of our energy landscape as well.
FollowupID: 437202

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 15:01

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 15:01
From Senator Allison (Democrats leader) speech against the bills in the Senate:

The Fuel Tax Bill 2006 and the Fuel Tax (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2006 are the clearest example yet of policy in a vacuum, with very little regard for the consequences on business, the environment, rural economies or jobs. The government has effectively cherry-picked from the recommendations of task forces, studies and inquiries and it has neither consulted with those most affected nor taken notice of their entreaties.
EndQuote

Full text of her speech is at Site Link

They've consistently supported the development of alternative fuels and spoke out strongly against these proposals in both committee stages and in the Senate. FWIW, Senator Joyce registered his disagreement with the bills, but was actually out of the Senate on a toilet break when the vote was taken - cynics might say to avoid annoying his Party too much.

Tim
AnswerID: 180267

Reply By: Wazza - (Vic) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 18:18

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 18:18
Listed on the Australian Stock Exchange is ARW - Australian Renewable Fuels, one of Australia's new Biodiesel companies. Their share price is down over 20% today.

Their response is at:
Site Link

www.arfuels.com.au/

Cheers,

Wazza.
AnswerID: 180458

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 22:51

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 22:51
you want to look a little closer on ARW ...

"ARW announced that the Company is unlikely to achieve its
forecast profit for the 2006 financial year. This is due to continual
delays in ramping production of ARW's Adelaide plant and the
commissioning of its Picton Plant. The problems with the Adelaide
plant are not due to the Energea process technology, but a
consequence of difficulties with materials handling and process
control software.

The primary driver of the profit downgrade for FY06 is that as a
result of the production delays ARW will not receive the second and
third payment under the $7.15M Bio-fuels Capital Infrastructure
Grant. The receipt of these funds is now expected in FY07. FY06
forecasts never factored in material bio-diesel sales for ARW."

The tax might have made an impact, but other things are making an impact too.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 437222

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 17:43

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 17:43
I think another spanner in the bio fuels works is that the many western gouvernments are a little afraid of the consequences of potential food crops being used for fuel. An example I heard recently on a reliable grapevine is that in Zimbarbwe the military are forcing farmers (who recently forced the white farmers out) to grow maize for fuel production, which is predicted to have a major impact on the food available to the battlers of the country. The fear is that countries that over produce foodstuffs, and export/donate to 3rd world countries will cease to do so as their surplus crops will become too valuable as fuel.

This may contribute to humanitarian disasters, especially where a military dictatorship is concerned and the powers that be have plenty of fuel for their army to maintain power while sections of the population starve.....

no easy answers

Andrew
AnswerID: 180654

Sponsored Links