Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 11:57
ThreadID: 35247 Views:1897 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering what the current track conditions are like ? TIA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian S (NT) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:39

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:39
Hi Footloose,

For a bloke weaned on Landies, surely its a bit soft comimg across the Plenty Highway. It would have to be the Simpson!!

Cheers
Ian@Mt Dare
AnswerID: 180257

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:48

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:48
Ian, been there, done that, don't like the congestion on the dunes these days:)) When I was there (early 80's), even the locals considered a lone traveller slightly mad if they went into the Simpson. I couldn't even conceive of stickers in Birdsville asking if you'd "conquered Big Red Yet". Was through there a while ago and had to fight the traffic to get to "Big Red"...and when I got there, National Parks had shifted it ! :))))))
FollowupID: 436508

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:01

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:01
Footie,

Came past the Donahue turnoff, about midday today, on way back from Mt Isa show. But that doesn't answer your question.

2 mates and their brides left here a couple of weeks ago, and in a brief email from the Alice, said it was a bit bull dusty, and the least experienced mate found the corrugations a bit ordinary. Even did a tyre, but that might have been attributed to the slide-on camper he had on his dual cab hilux.

Dry as out here, and weather's quite mild up to tonight, so rain won't be problem.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 180301

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:03

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:03
Forgot to mention that entire Boulia Shire is drought-declared, so rool dry!
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 436555

Follow Up By: Member - Ian S (NT) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:49

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:49
Yeah Footloose,

One thing that is absolutely kosher, it is dryn everywhere. When Alive had 4.6mm Dalhousie had a sprinkling and Mt Dare had designer rain, dots here and there. Would be no different up there onthe Plenty. It means corrugations and bull dust.

Great to be alive. A great night in the pub tonight, with IBM, Symantec and bush washing machine repair man (but he didn't repair ours). Amazing what a little red and a few bottle of Coopers will produce.

Cheers from the centre of Australia.

Ian@Mt Dare
FollowupID: 436563

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:26

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:26
Bob, really appreciate that, last time I went through someone told me it was a piece of cake. Some bloody cake ! :)))
Dry I can handle, last time was straight after it had been closed by floods.
Been raining here on the coast for a week, nothing much but annoying.
Where are you; live out that way ?
FollowupID: 436568

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:34

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:34
Ian, being the shy retiring old geyza that I am...mostly....I rekkon you blokes have too much fun out there. Been in enough bush pubs ...strangely enough its the only time I go to a pub....one night at the Midway Hotel near Boulia I had to leave after 1/2 hour, too much s@x, sin and politics for me.
Friend of mine was there many years ago with one of the local cops, he rekkoned they were target shooting through the open window. Even if not true, a great yarn !
These days its owned by an ex camel guy so its probably pretty quiet...NOT.
Keep up the good work, and try and make at least SOME of the tourists feel welcome around your area :))))))
FollowupID: 436570

Reply By: alby4wd - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:09

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:09
G-day Footloose,
Came across last Tuesday/Wednesday with no worries from Alice to Boulia. Prado at the border had 2 blow outs and awaiting a replacement tyre from Mt Isa. Dry is correct. Lots of bulldust holes but no worries. Saw a few non off-road vans being dragged along too. Sat on about 100km to 90km no problems. On the way home from the Finke dessert race via Birdsville. Great trip.
Alby...
AnswerID: 180318

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:17

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:17
Thanks Alby, appreciate the reply. Last time across I had crook suspension and travelled at around 80K max. One of the racing boys flew past me, must of been doing well over 110 in a jeep wrangler. I'm carrying two spares and will have my fingers crossed :))
FollowupID: 436578

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:18

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:18
At least I thought it was a wrangler...was going too fast for me to really take notice :)))
FollowupID: 436579

Follow Up By: Member - Ian S (NT) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:40

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:40
Heh Footloose,

Our supply truck arrived about an hour ago just in time for tea. He had come in from the Plenty to Alice , reloaded and came dowm to us guys south of the Finke. He said it was sh@t, and for a bloke that travels on our roads, then that means it is easily passable but it poor condition. You only do it 'cause you have to!!
Cheers from Mt Dare after a couple more XXXX bitters.

Cheers mate
Ian @ Mt Dare
FollowupID: 436580

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:50

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:50
Ian, that isn't what I wanted to hear. I know some of those drivers and if they say it's not good then it definately aint great :))
Poor condition will probably describe me when I get across. I usually do it in a day with a late arrival in Alice. This time I will have a passenger so we'll be stopping overnight around Jarvois station. Now to a city slicker like me that place doesn't exactly seem to be a happenin place. I mean we old guys at least like to see others enjoyin themselves :)
Hey last time I was out your way, Mt Dare was a working station with no welcome sign. Times have changed :))
Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 436582

Sponsored Links