Turning and storing your Caravan

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:37
ThreadID: 35258 Views:2782 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We live on a reasonable size block however we have trouble parking our Caravan for easy use. By easy I mean being able to turn and place the caravan with moderate stress. Has anyone been able to design or know of a system that allows you to turn a van in a confined space? It may end up being quite an expensive option but at the end of the day if it makes the whole journey easier then we'll ensure we're home less and the Van gets used a whole lot more. Happy to work with someone to design an idea that you may have.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bill F (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:59

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 19:59
Hi,
Try the "mule" on the site below (no connection with the site) under RV accessories

www.awardcaravanaccessories.com/

Bill

ps someone else makes a motorised one
Fay'd away from the crowd

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 180299

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:34

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:34
Could try the following 12v Power Mover
www.travellerwa.com.au/products.html
I have never seen or used one, but it looks interesting
AnswerID: 180305

Reply By: dinodog- Central Coast NSW - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:34

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:34
Raydueler

Do you have a steel bullbar fitted to your 4wd if so have someone fabricate a fitting whereby you can attach a tempory tow hitch this will allow you to use the front of your vehicle to move your van. This can be a simple as welding a plate to the bullbar which has two threaded holes to which you can bolt a tow ball tounge. Hunt around the wreckers for and old towbar and tounge to cut down. Handy to have in the boot when in tight places like van parks etc. Surprising how simple it makes for getting your van into tight places. Fitting a tow hitch should be tempory as it is illegal to have it fitted permantely.

dinodog
AnswerID: 180306

Follow Up By: BBB - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:21

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:21
I have a tow piont on the pasangers side at the front of the GU. It alows you to see down the side of the van while pushing it with the car, it is so easy to use you will be able to put your van almost any wher with ease.

Good Luck

BBB
FollowupID: 436566

Follow Up By: Member - Andy Q (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:29

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:29
G'day, dinodog and BBB are on the mark here a tow hitch on the bullbar works a treat.
Good luck,
andy
FollowupID: 436569

Reply By: StephenF10 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 23:12

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 23:12
Have a look at this site and follow the Caravan Tips link. He uses a boat trailer winch that he moves between three posts to turn his van around. Doesn't look too expensive.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 180330

Reply By: Muzzgit (WA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:56

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:56
Quite a few years ago I heard about a bloke in Melville [WA] with 2 lengths of rail track concreted in his driveway running parralell to the road. He would back the van up the driveway, where he has a cradle that the the van wheels sit on. This cradle runs on the rail track. He disconnects the van from the car and pushes the whole van sideways [one man job].

The wheels of the van sit on the cradle that run on wheels on the rail line and the front of the van is on the jockey wheel.

Rather extreme maybe, but it works a treat and he can do it all by himself.

AnswerID: 180341

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:17

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 08:17
If you want to spend some time and money, why not create a shallow, circular pit lined with concrete (with vertical walls). The diameter would need to be just slightly larger than the width of your van. The pit would need to be situated in your yard where you need to turn the van (90 degrees or whatever to gain access to your garage etc).
The pit would contain a steel frame with steel wheel in a circular pattern (so it can turn around within the pit). Onto the top of the frame work would be a round section/s of chequer-plate.
Back the van onto the turntable, uncouple van, manually turn van on the turntable and push van back into garage.
If space precludes being able to re-attach the car to push into garage, then a hand winch at the back of the garage coula be used to pull it along.
Just a thought.......
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 180352

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:30

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:30
Yeah, I have seen one of these demonstrated at a Railway museum.....
FollowupID: 436615

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 13:28

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 13:28
Highly recommend the Maco Mule.

metalfabricators@bigpond.com

Tell them Andrew from Vivid Adventures sent you ... not sure they usually sell to the public though.

Great product. Great Blokes. Good South Aussie Company doing it right for the world.

AnswerID: 180410

Reply By: Mikee5 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:43

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 17:43
What has interested me are the 'Go-Jacks' that they use on the V8 Supercars to move them around. They look like a frame which cradles under a wheel then lifts it. They have 4 castors under them. They seem to be able to put 4 of they under a car fairly quicky then can push it any way they want on the castors.
AnswerID: 180451

Sponsored Links