The Coleman Oven(it's a goer!!)

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:49
ThreadID: 35263 Views:3041 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Last weekend in minus temps at Araluen, camped down at dry crk diggings we decided to give the Coleman oven a workout. Jodie used it to cook a very tasty potato bake to go with our steaks etc. Took about 40 mins, oven sat on 180 deg without any worries on top of the Lido stove in the CT.Mmmmmm topped off with a glass of Yalumba red. The port came out later, but thats another story...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark T - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:53

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 20:53
Yes, they're cetainly good ovens.

We make scones in ours on top of a $25 butane cooker.

Lemonade Scones

3 cups SR flour
1 cup cream
1 cup lemonade.

We cook them in a tupper ware silicon muffin baker thing and after around 20 mins they're prefect.

Cheers

Mark T
AnswerID: 180308

Reply By: mattfinish - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:53

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 11:53
G'day uncle, glad to hear the stove works well!

Mate, just wondering, how do you describe a greeny?
I own a four wheel drive, I use it, I camp. I do all of this in a responsable manner. Never leaving rubbish, never seeking difficult terrain to test out my rig. Have been stuck, have never needed to winch myself out of a tricky situation.
I do get mighty bleep off by bogans in highly modified offroaders destroying everything in their path and leaving a trail of rubbish as they go.
You by the way dont seem like one of the latter! lol
But I've been called a greeny...by friends. And I don't mind the tag. I have actually tried to get into a conservation ecology course to start working in this area. After all its about being there, not the getting there...to point. I do love the journey, but not if I'm making a mess of things.
I've nothing against somebody for trying to protect wilderness,catchments and our heritage. Im just not fond of people who try to do that and being described as brain dead.I'm not trying to offend or upset you either, just wishing to make you aware of your little profile remark. I think that kind of thinking needs to be forgotten. And not propergated. We need to work with consevation groups and government authorities in order to keep our rec areas open. Or we will lose them! And we need make sure, that every wanker we see giving their swampers a thourough work out in some pristine wetland, is made to pay for their stupidity! Everytime they don't, brings you and I a step closer to lock out!
Uncle, I hope this is food for thought and not just an arguement for arguements sake. I reckon we are playing on the same team, just using different speak.

Cheers Mate.
AnswerID: 180383

Follow Up By: Member - uncle - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 14:15

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 14:15
Hi Matt, mate.. I'm basically doing the same as you do in your spare time, i have camped in the bush for weeks on end, prospecting for gold in some very remote parts of our country and some not so remote parts, i have done this for years and years now. We also travel to other areas and enjoy 4wding thru some of the pristine bush that this country has to offer. However, what annoys the crap out of me is the fact that these so called politicians(greens mob), are continually trying to lock out all aussie's and their children from some areas of Australia.
I am a finacial member of the PMAV, Prospectors & Miners Association of Victoria, even though I reside in NSW. And they are fighting to stop these GREENIES shutting us out of certain areas of the victorian bush that have been used for prospecting for years! So far they have done a magnificent job. These dread locked ,unemployed uni student dropkicks, that you see chaining themselves to trees and destroying buldozers worth thousands of dollars are part of the act of dope heads that I call a GREENY. Thats my 2 cents worth and my descrition of a greeny(was wondering when someone would bite at that)!Basically I'm here to enjoy my life and I also treat the bush the right way when i'm out thee, i fill my holes in and take out any rubbish with me.Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 436657

Follow Up By: Member - qld_bushpig - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 16:16

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 16:16
Onya Uncle

I'm with you and agree 100% with your aims and objectives.

Cheers
Jack
FollowupID: 436665

Follow Up By: Member - uncle - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 16:40

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 16:40
By the sound of it, Matt's mate's should call him an adventurer, not a greeny, some people get the definititon of a GREENY mixed up.?
FollowupID: 436668

Reply By: mattfinish - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 10:08

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 10:08
G'day uncle, like your new profile quote mate!

I have meet some of those pro circuit protestors you mentioned in your last post mate. I sat, listened and then informed them that the very thing they were protesting for had already been achieved?? They had no idea? Mother nature had responded before they even realised. Pretty sure they were to busy packing the hydro!! lol But the sad part is we need them.....The smart ones amounst them anyway. While we are busy working, somebody has to keep an eye on people like Gunns. Those Dreddy freaks are the only thing stopping Gunns from pulping the whole state of Tassie!
Uncle I'm tipping you use a metal detector while your prospecting. Which would be the key hole surgery equivalent for mining. There could not be a less destructive way prospecting I would think. I'm also tipping that the reason the Greens are trying to stop you doing what you love, is the prospectors that use dredges. I have not seen these in action, they don't tend to do it in the open...go figure! But from what I know, they punch bloody great holes in river beds, that fishermen fall in to; thats not good with waders on and a strong current! The river is silted up and discolored for weeks; very bad news for the river blackfish!
These wonderful people, like my mates with the swampers and the 10" lift kits, simply spoil things for the rest of us. We just have to remember to use our heads, not our hearts when dealing with these undesirables.
I think that if we; thats you, Jack and I. Work calmly with the Greens, we can achieve our objective. We need to fight the feral dredges and those who don't practice good prospecting method. We need to report the idiots that have only one objective in the bush, and thats to get bogged and winch. ( I actually know of one young bloke that felled half a dozen trees to get out of a bog!) If we just fight the Greens all the way, we WILL lose the lot. The amount of change I have seen over the last 20 yrs or so in the Alpine national park, between 4wd drive activity and logging. Im kind of supprised we are still allowed in there. Huts burned down, camping areas destroyed. The stories I could go on with....

Uncle, I think you sum it up best with, "Best relaxed when in the great Aussie bush" That says it all really. Thats what any sensible bush loving Aussie wants. Unfortunately we have to do that and play policeman at the same time? Bugger....Oh well, open another Yalumba red there boys!
Cheers Matt.
AnswerID: 180548

Follow Up By: Member - uncle - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 08:59

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 08:59
Listen matt just after a bit of care ful scrutiny of your careful wording on these replies, I think you and i ARE on a different wavelenghth! Firstly I put up a post on a public forum, and you come in and criticise my profile remark that after weeks and weeks of being there, not one other person out of 441,347 readers per month has complained about.! What does that tell you my friend? I think I may have hit a raw nerve with you sunshine.?
I also see after scouring the posts that in post 34959 you are after advice on entering a National park? Then you proceed to tell jodi that you dont want to scratch your brand new "Patrol" so you are going to pull out the chainsaw , in a nat park and cut off branches so as you dont scratch " your patrol". Come on shag, get real your are kidding yourself? I think you have chosen the wrong pastime mate, in future if ya dont like someone's comment, it's time to shut up, that's why you were given two ears and only one mouth. So I suggest you take a good cup of shut the $^&# up and get yourself another hobby.cya
FollowupID: 437051

Reply By: mattfinish - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 17:26

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 17:26
Hey I hit a raw nerve alright....yours!

What it tells me is perhaps plenty of people just havn't opened their eyes. Mate you can continue on hiting your head against a brick wall with these tree huggers, your you can start using your head for what its intended for??
My pastime is carpentry, not sure what you assumed it to be.
If you read all my posts you will see that I asked Jodi if you needed to bring fire wood into Croajingalong. Later in a follow up she pointed out that yes its a good idea. And I replyed, cool I can leave the chainsaw at home.
* The original remark about the saw was with Casper, not Jodi.

So basically if I wanted to post a comment on here applauding the Nazi party for instance. Everyone should just shut the *@!!? up to use your language?
I simply pointed out to you that perhaps you might not want to tar all "greenys" with the one brush. Times are changing Uncle, you can use one of your many shovels to dig your own hole. Or you can learn to have a cival conversation with some mates on line? Up to you really.....
Matt.
AnswerID: 180850

Sponsored Links