C.E.M report updates

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:11
ThreadID: 35266 Views:3461 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
If there is any one out ther that has been using one of the C.E.M. products,
Fuel Cleaner, Oil Flush or the Decarbonizer.

Could you let me know if the prices are justified, If you wher happy with its results particuly if you have been using thier products for a while know.

I have looked in the forums but most of the people are refering to ther first use.

I would like to know things like has ther been;
:A performance differance ?
:Less smoke when under load ?
:Is the oil still clean or cleaner than normal after 5000klm ?
:Does the motor run quieter and smoother ?
:Do you use all three products together at first ?
:And do you recomend C.E.M.

Thank you

BBB

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:29

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 21:29
BBB,
I used CEM oil flush in our 1HZ motor with the following results.
1) No noticeable change in performance.
2) No less smoke under load. That is caused by a badly tuned fuel system that overfuels the motor.
3)The oil stays cleanish for about 2000kms then gradually goes black as it takes on the soot from combustion.
4)There is no change in the smoothness or noise.
5)I have used the fuel additive also but you can't really pick any change.
6) I certainly do reccommend the oil flush product. It seems a bit exxy but over a few changes it works out at about $9 per change to keep the oil system clear of sludge. Good value I think. Go for it.
7) I have no connection with CEM except via my Visa card.
AnswerID: 180314

Follow Up By: rustytruck - Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:57

Sunday, Jun 25, 2006 at 22:57
Ian,

Regarding point 6 above, how much do you put in at each flush and how often. The info on the site says 250ml does UP TO 20 litres of oil and that 250ml is $80. If it costs $9 per change I am wondering how much to use. My change quantity is 10.5 litres, and is at 5,000 km.

Regards

Rusty
FollowupID: 436584

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:05

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 07:05
Rustytruck,
The 250 ml bottle costs $99 and you use 12.5 ml / litre of oil for the first time,that equals 125 ml / oil change in a 1HZ. Then it is 2.5 ml / litre / change after that.
So each change uses 25 ml and there is 10 changes in 250 ml. $99 divided by 10 equals $9.90 Sure the first time use costs $45 but after that it is $9.90 a time.
AnswerID: 180347

Follow Up By: rustytruck - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 20:38

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 20:38
Ian,
Thanks for that. It doesn't mention the much reduced usage on the web site. Will get a bottle and give it a go.

Rusty
FollowupID: 436725

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 13:45

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 13:45
I have used FTC Decarbonizer in my boat, twin Cummins Diesels. It appears to blow minimal smoke, certainly all diesels of my vintage blow some smoke, more so at start up. I can't tell you about the internals of the engines without pulling them down however the testimonials on the CEM website seemed genuine. I don't use the product regularly, only twice per year, which probably equates to 1 in 4 of my major boat trips.
AnswerID: 180412

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 15:42

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 15:42
Still on the first bottle of the oil flush , my 80 series turbo diesel takes 9.8lt for an oil and filter change ,got out over 11lt of oil and sludge the first time , now do the changes with the flush to keep her clean ,,
1: no real diff
2:seems to be
3: oil "looks" cleaner upto next change ,can "feel" soot when rub oil between fingers.
4: no quieter but feels smoother
5: only used oil flush and fuel cleaner , have run out of the CEM fuel conditioner and now use Morrys fuel conditioner, may sound strange but fuel economy has improved ,not much ,but enough to keep me using it.
6: recomend CEM ?? yep , realy supprising how much crap came out at the first flush and how much longer the oil stays clean.
AnswerID: 180429

Follow Up By: Member - Brad and Tanya O (QLD - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 20:40

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 20:40
Thanks for the feed back I have orderd one the packs

BBB
FollowupID: 436726

Follow Up By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 22:22

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 22:22
Brad,
I have also used the oil flush on my Jap import Terrano TD27 with good results at cleaning out the crap in the sump. New oil used to go black after about a day now it is black after a week or more (1000k).

Keep an eye out because CEM do also have some good specials. I think the first twin pack of oil flush and injector cleaner that I got was only $80 + p&h.

FollowupID: 436765

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:48

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:48
Geordie,

I was thi8nking about using CEM in our terrano but was never very sure about it. I'm was afraid that when I clean out all the "crap" something bound to go wrong, but if you had no probs then I might go for it. Did you get any beter economy or milage?

R
FollowupID: 436814

Follow Up By: Member - Geordie C (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 14:03

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 14:03
Rob,
I find it hard to tell improvement in economy because I also fitted bigger tires, a bigger exhaust, an intercooler, and other mods. It all runs pretty well though.

I had a look in the inlet manifold the other day and it is clean. The sump also has very little black sludge, only a thin layer can be rubbed off if I put my finger inside the drain plug. Before I cleaned it out there was a thick black lump stuck to the plug and coating the bottom of the sump.

When I cleaned thing out first, I used the recommended big dose of CEM, ran it for the recomended time and dumped the thick black sludge. I changed the oil with cheap Supercheap Auto stuff and ran it for a day then used the lesser dose of CEM ran it for the recomended time and dumped slightly cleaner oil, changed filter and filled with good stuff. It was quite suprising how black the first stuff to come out was (stains your fingers realy black).

I also removed and cleaned the inlet manifold, ports and valves when I fitted the intercooler. Much of the carbon buildup here was from the ERG valve not functioning properly and from crank case blow-by oil through the breather pipe into the inlet.
I have fitted a oil catch can and the whole thing has remained clean for the last 120,000km.

I change oil every 5,000 and use the CEM flush on every second oil change at 10,000 and also change the filter then (but not at 5000) as I figure that any dislogged crap will catch in the filter when the CEM is used.

G
FollowupID: 436869

Sponsored Links