Transmission oil pan

Submitted: Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 09:37
ThreadID: 35277 Views:1503 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A technical question if I may. It has been years since I removed and replaced a transmission pan, and I can't remember if gasket cement is required or not when replacing, and if so, what kind.

The gasket is quite thick at 1.8mm

Thanks

Gerhard

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:10

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:10
I would think that as you were replacing the gasket that a smear of transmission oil would be all that is required, unless you find on disassmbley that there is evidence of gasket cement being used then I would replace it with cement. I know when I did the Jacks Auto Trans Oil pan filter etc it all came in a kit, screen & tube of sealant (no gasket).
AnswerID: 180367

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:55

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:55
That's interesting - I bought the Jack transmission kit from the US and it came with the gaskets and filter but no sealant.....

I bought the kit from the US at the same time I bought the O2 sensor.

FollowupID: 436624

Reply By: Member - Burto (NSW) - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:44

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:44
As said before, smear of grease is OK, definitely no gasket cement, think about lying under a dripping transmission scrapping off the gasket cement next time you need to do a service.

The important thing is not to over torque the bolts so as to squeeze out the gasket as some do.

If you have troublle holding the gasket in place try a strand of copper from some elect cable, used to tie the gasket in position at say 4 places, be careful not to tie to over tighten as to cut through the gasket material. Used this method before many times with no problems.

AnswerID: 180376

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:58

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 10:58
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. As the gasket is quite thick, it should not need cement and I doubt that little bits of excess cement would be much good floating around the Auto box.
FollowupID: 436625

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 20:43

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 20:43
Mate...you dont need to use gasket cement, but it is easier to install if you put a small amount on one side of the gasket....the sump side....
Andrew
AnswerID: 180485

Reply By: Dirty Smitty - Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 23:08

Monday, Jun 26, 2006 at 23:08
Gerhard,
Cork gaskets are designed to be used without gasket cement. The rubber material that the gasket/cork is made up of is designed to swell when it comes in contact with oil/transmission fluid. Put the gasket in dry, do not place any oil, gasket cement, grease or silicon rubber on it.
Once the old gasket and oil are removed wash the pan in kero, clean magnet and then rinse the pan in hot water to remove any oil residue. Dust/dry the pan down using compressed air or wipe clean. Place the dry gasket over the pan and put 2 of the pan bolts through the pan and gasket. Lift the pan gasket into place and finger tighten the 2 pan bolts. Once the pan is in place, install the remaining bolts then nip the bolts up in a cross/opposing manner using a speed brace. Do not over tighten the bolts as this will pinch the gasket and cause the pan to leak. If you nip the bolts up correctly there will be no leaks as the gasket will swell once the oil/fluid comes in contact with the inside edge of the gasket after filling. It will cause any gaps to fill with the swelling gasket.
The reasons for a pan gasket to leak are:
1. Over tightened pan bolts/piched gasket;
2. Stripped pan bolt holes;
3. The use of gasket cement/silicon sealant (supprise, thats right the oil will follow the track of sealant);
4. Re-using the old pan gasket;
5. Gasket coming in contact with excessive amounts of oil or grease (gasket swell);
6. Loose bolts;
7. Uneven tension (quarter of a turn difference);
8. Dirty pan/housing gasket surface;
9. Wrong gasket;
10. Bent/dented/warped pan.

Bolt tension is important, do not over tighten the bolts.
I hope this advice helps. I practiced this method when I was starting out in the trade and it never failed me.
Best regards,
Smitty.

AnswerID: 180520

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 08:32

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 08:32
Thanks Smitty,

I'll be doing the job today and I will follow your method.

gerhard
FollowupID: 436800

Sponsored Links