Tyre damage expertise anyone?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 17:43
ThreadID: 35335 Views:2376 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all you experts on fat, black rubber things ...

Today I noticed a deep cut in one of my front tyres - down to the steel belts.

The cut is clean and about 1.5" long - along, not across the tread.

A couple of questions ...

Is the cut likely to be terminal? (For the tyre I mean.)

I'm thinking of using the goop used for plugging punctures to seal the gash. Any thoughts on this?

I'm goingt o swap the tyre out for my spare tomorrow, but I'm wondering whether I should get it replaced.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers,

Benn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:40

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:40
Small cuts are something that many of us live with. But yours sounds a bit bigger. If you get an expert opinion from a tyre shop, I reckon theres a 99% chance they would say it was terminal. They are (justifiably) wary about tyre damage and the safety issues, and litigation. Easier just to sell you a new tyre as well. I gather the steel belts can rust and the damage can spread.

But if I get that sort of damage in the bush, and I want to prevent it getting worse because I'm miles away from civilisation, then my bush fix is to deflate the tyre, and slip in a few drops of Locktite 406 superglue, which will do a magnificent job of supergluing the rubber and obliterating the gap. I also have used it for small splits. Like all superglue it will only work if the rubber is compressed under pressure for about a minute. Then you can get the tyre replaced back in civilisation.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 180667

Reply By: stinker - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:48

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 18:48
Hi,
I have been involved in the tyre industry for many years, have even owned my own tyre shop.
My advice to you would be to have it looked at by a "tyre" person to be sure before you ditch the tyre, however, I think it is definatly terminal as once you cut through to the belts there isn't much left and the tyre is likely to "seperate" before too long, this is where the tread rubber comes away from the belts, this will sometimes happen with a bang with the tyre exploding at high speed or it will develop a lump that will grow bigger and bigger causing a vibration. either way its dangerous.
I know they are expensive (life is also very precious) but I would sudgest getting rid of it, for safety sake..
AnswerID: 180669

Reply By: Member - MrBitchi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 19:01

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 19:01
IMO if you can see the belts it's history.
AnswerID: 180672

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jun 27, 2006 at 20:12
Any tire shop "expert" will tell you its fubar, adn buy a new one.

then again, would you wanna risk it on your car at 100kph?
AnswerID: 180693

Reply By: BennHW - Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:38

Wednesday, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:38
Thanks to all for your advice.

I figured it would probably be terminal damage - but it's worth checking.

Given I've run the Coopers for 50,000km so far without a puncture, I guess I'm doing okay.

Cheers,

Benn
AnswerID: 180786

Sponsored Links