Arthur River

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 13:28
ThreadID: 3534 Views:1760 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am heading to Tasmania with a Jackaroo and camper trailer, and one of the places I plan to visit is Arthur River. Does anyone know of good places to camp, and/or good 4WD tracks, in that area? Also I believe there are two cruise boats on the river, the "Reflections" and the "George Robinson". Does anyone have any experience of either or both of these?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: macca - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 15:18

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 15:18
We did the tassy circuit with our heaslip camper 3 years ago and found many camping sites around that area including plenty of tracks to explore. Head right out to the coast also as there are many interesting areas there. We didnt do the tours as we got there too late and "missed the boat" .In fact Tassy has many camping areas and interesting sites off the "Fly drive" routes
Have fun
Allan Mac
AnswerID: 13907

Follow Up By: Jules - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 16:21

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 16:21
Hi - just wondering re Tassy - what do they charge on the ferry for a 4wd and camper trailer?
FollowupID: 8269

Follow Up By: Jules - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 16:21

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 16:21
Hi - just wondering re Tassy - what do they charge on the ferry for a 4wd and camper trailer?
FollowupID: 8270

Reply By: macca - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 16:49

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 16:49
Back then on the "Spirit" the cost was calculated on the overall length of the cruiser and trailer. That worked out at $300 plus our fares . I'm sure someone would have a more current costing than that (1999/2000"
AnswerID: 13916

Follow Up By: Member - Colin- Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 17:22

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 17:22
We just got back from Tassie - I dont use a trailer - the car was free ! What ever you do, don't be tempted to take the cheap option of seats instead of a cabin (unless you do a day crossing) Most unpleasant experience, 24 hrs without sleep is not good. We upgraded to a cabin for return trip. Also, we got caught out 3 times with Parks that were booked out for tents! - Caravan Pks and Nat Pks, pays to book ahead. We didn't allow enough time to do the tracks on the west coast - next time!
FollowupID: 8277

Reply By: Chris - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 19:19

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 19:19
The better half and myself drove to tassie back in 2000 and from memory without a trailer it costed us about $300 -$350. We even enquired into putting the car on and flying over as from memory the cabin fares weren't the cheapest but they're switched on in that dept. I'm pretty sure they said it would cost almost double if we didn't accompany the vehicle.
Try looking up the 'spirit' website. Last time I looked them up they had a table showing measurements of vehicles and associated prices. You pay a car rate if your vehicle is under 5 metres long.Mine (80 cruiser) was nearly 6 metres from front of bullbar to the wheel carriers but that didn't phase them. If you do the west coast definitely visit Strahan and the boat tours, beautiful. If you feel like a 4WD challenge try the Montezuma track (you'll find it under National Parks Tasmania) which is an alternative 4wd route to the montezuma waterfalls, very pretty drive but back when we did it (with a camper trailer) there were a few bogholes which one resulted in a 2hr handwinch job pulling the trailer and car out seperately. Trees were too thin for electric winch job. Only big tree was behind us. Make sure you've got trailer brakes in good nick because if they're not you will need new brakepads after touring the west and central highlands areas. *If you do the Montezuma track keep an eye out for a shovel standing in the middle of nowhere - yep, I realised I forgot it when we eventually arrived back in Perth.
AnswerID: 13923

Reply By: Chris - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 19:21

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 19:21
The better half and myself drove to tassie back in 2000 and from memory without a trailer it costed us about $300 -$350. We even enquired into putting the car on and flying over as from memory the cabin fares weren't the cheapest but they're switched on in that dept. I'm pretty sure they said it would cost almost double if we didn't accompany the vehicle.
Try looking up the 'spirit' website. Last time I looked them up they had a table showing measurements of vehicles and associated prices. You pay a car rate if your vehicle is under 5 metres long.Mine (80 cruiser) was nearly 6 metres from front of bullbar to the wheel carriers but that didn't phase them. If you do the west coast definitely visit Strahan and the boat tours, beautiful. If you feel like a 4WD challenge try the Montezuma track (you'll find it under National Parks Tasmania) which is an alternative 4wd route to the montezuma waterfalls, very pretty drive but back when we did it (with a camper trailer) there were a few bogholes which one resulted in a 2hr handwinch job pulling the trailer and car out seperately. Trees were too thin for electric winch job. Only big tree was behind us. Make sure you've got trailer brakes in good nick because if they're not you will need new brakepads after touring the west and central highlands areas. *If you do the Montezuma track keep an eye out for a shovel standing in the middle of nowhere - yep, I realised I forgot it when we eventually arrived back in Perth.
AnswerID: 13924

Follow Up By: Chris - Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 19:23

Tuesday, Feb 25, 2003 at 19:23
sorry about that I was answering Jules question but I hope this still helps you.
FollowupID: 8281

Reply By: Jan - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 13:11

Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003 at 13:11
On the old Spirit it used to be prohibitively expensive to take a camper, but the new ships are much more realistically priced, asd long as the length of your vehicle plus the camper is under 10 metres. It is costing us $196 each return for a seat on the new Spirit, not a cabin. That is the cheapest fare. You can go on a day sailing at weekends only, otherwise it is overnight. The vehicle is free, and the camper costs $90 each way. Total length of our vehicle and camper is 9 metres.

AnswerID: 13987

Reply By: Nifty,, - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 23:52

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 23:52
Hello Jan,

I went for a cruise in Febuary last year on the 'Reflections' boat and it was terrific. The ride was for about a half a day and we motored up the river to a picnic area the host had put in amongst the forest. We had a light lunch and a short bush walk on a path he had constructed.

I stayed at Stanley but I found when I got to Arthur River that there was plenty of accomodation available at the time, I don't know about camping but there would have to be something there being a popular fishing area.

The people who run the 'Reflections' cruise operate the shop on the southern side of the river and also have accomodation. The drive from Stanley to Arthur River is not at all difficult you could drive down and inquire about camping sites .

Unfortunately I don't have a 4WD so didn't travel down the dirt road to the south but really wanted to! .

The area is solitary and beautiful, you'll have a nice time there .
AnswerID: 14270

Sponsored Links