waeco fc 50 settings

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 16:41
ThreadID: 3606 Views:2730 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a waeco cf 50 fridge (cold beer at long last )
can anyone please give me some rough ideas on setting temps as I dont want cans exploding all over the BBQ meat .Peter york 4x4
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Old Soldier - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 17:39

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 17:39
Peter,

Quickest way for you to find all this out is to whizz into Dick Smith's and buy one of those little double thermos. [about $29]

Slip the external temp sensor lead inside the fridge lid [it wont leak much cold air] and observe from there.

I normally keep salad vegies in the non freeze area, beer, soft drink, milk, meat etc in the other. It is quite cavernous and I have never gone short of a "coldie" at the end of the day.

I usually have a 6 pack in [about all I can handle these days :) :) ], and I restock the drinks before going to bed so the fridge is catching up with the "hot ones" in the cool of the night.

Come next morning ready to go again.

I usually run the turbo for 20 mins or so when starting, then run it between 2,3,4 for the rest of the time [depending on the outside conditions]

I always turn it down a notch over night.

If you want to do some serious freezing, I have found that mind can reduce the fridge temperature to -17ºC in about 30 minutes.

The message there is WATCH IT !!!! :) :) :)

Enjoy your Waeco - may all your beers be "coldies"

DennisN

AnswerID: 14244

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 17:52

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 17:52
Peter,

Just a note on the freezing point of beer.

Claims on the web range from 3ºC to -7ºC [European sources]

I have found mine [VB of course] starts to get very icy at about -2ºC.

you may find different.

Just a point - watch the bloody lettuce does not BURN from the cold [try not to store it in the "freeze" area] - the cook will kill you!!!!!!!!!

Strange priorities these ladies :) :) :)

Enjoy the bush

DennisN
FollowupID: 8536

Reply By: Member - Peter- Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 18:26

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 18:26
to old solder thanks for the tips ;she how cooks and must be obayed; does not come on my off road trips so the lettice will be replaced with more sutble food items ie ; pies and smoked mussels Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 14245

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 20:13

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 20:13
Now thats a "liberated" man.

Envy envy envy

What more could a man ask?

A good 4WD, and a good fridge stuffed full of the right food - beer, pies, beer, mussels, beer, and more beer

All thats missing are the T Bones, barra, and prawns

Aaaaaah.
FollowupID: 8539

Reply By: Ian - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 18:38

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 18:38
Peter
I find that set with three lights on usually works perfect just doesnt quite freeze at about 20-30o outside temp and one light overnight works fine and saves your battery depending where you are of course
Ian
AnswerID: 14246

Reply By: ROX - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 21:00

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 21:00
I have a Engle and find my HOME BREW doesn't freez at o.c but the lettuce does and the wife gets upset????? 0:(((
AnswerID: 14259

Reply By: Member - Chris - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 21:29

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 21:29
Peter,

Have the same fridge and have experimented with the same problem. Set it for 3 LEDs a'glowing and the beer is ace. Set it on 4 and some of the cans freeze. BTW, during the day when the air temp was above 42, the frozen bits stayed that way if I set it for 4 as well.

chris
AnswerID: 14261

Reply By: Dave - Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 23:18

Saturday, Mar 01, 2003 at 23:18
Peter,
I have a CF 50 and I set mine on three and its perfect for beer.
Set your fridge on three (3 lights) and as said above back it off to one light overnight or even turn it off depending where you are and what temperature it is and what time you get up in the morning.

Also recommend getting the insulated cover which will help to keep things cold when the sun is beating in the back of your 4x4

Enjoy,

Dave.
AnswerID: 14266

Reply By: Jan - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 15:36

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 15:36
I have the same fridge, and couldn't be happier with it. Can't add to the other comments, just endorse them. I also have one of those two way thermometers from Dick Smith, but I place the remote probe at the bottom of the main compartment, because that's where the coldest point is going to be. Running the fridge with three lights on is about right; two lights is generally not cold enough for meat etc., and four tends to freeze things. With three, be sure to keep vegies, salad stuff etc. in the side compartment, which does not get as cold. The thermometer generally shows the temperature at the bottom of the fridge varying between about -1 to +3, as the fridge cycles on and off, and of course, if you place the main thermometer unit somewhere useful then you get the current ambient temperature as well. (In Central Aust. last July, it was amusing to get up in the morning to see that it was colder outside the fridge than in.) And do get the insulated cover. It doesn't make the fridge run any colder, but protects the case, and the outside ambient temperature is not so important so the fridge will cycle a lot less often, thereby saving your battery. Another point to note - we recently had a prolonged power failure at the house, with danger of the freezer contents melting, so they all went into the Waeco, turned up high. It was running inside the house on an old, spare battery which we brought inside, and even when the battery was down to 9 volts, the fridge was still running! Not good for the battery, but great for the frozen food. You can turn the fridge down overnight, but it doesn't make a lot of difference with the cover on and the fridge not being opened - it hardly cycles at all, even on a warm night.
AnswerID: 14300

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:08

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:08
Thanks for all the info , I have brought a cover for it and am currently rebuilding my (home made ) drawer system to accomidate it , I live in York WA we get temps of 45 quite often so a nice cold one will go down well at the end of the day , two other members of our club are selling there old E.....s now that they have seen mine and have seen the power usage that can be obtained ,thanks all once again for all info ..Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 8581

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:53

Sunday, Mar 02, 2003 at 17:53
Forget the Dick Smith Thermo, Jaycar have one for $40 that measures temp and battery voltage.

My folks have a 50 litre Waeco and run it on 2 (out of 7).
AnswerID: 14314

Reply By: Member - Mal - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 15:20

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 15:20
The Jaycar thermometer has an alarm that tells you when it reaches freezing point so you know when you are about to get into strife with the wife for freezing the lettuce or more importantly freezing the chardonnay.
MalT.
AnswerID: 14356

Sponsored Links