Site Update and Performance

Submitted: Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 20:22
ThreadID: 3640 Views:1584 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Well finally I can see the light at the end!

I think I have completed the full round of updates and performance changes. This has been a huge task (edited 2500 pages - rewritten 150 programs and include files) and there are still a few problem areas however I expect that the operation of the system should be better than ever and from my initial testing of the site it is going very well. If you find any errors at all that come up on your system please copy and paste the data into email and send it to me at david@itbeyond.com.au.

Newsletter tomorrow will explain all....

David

PS: Do you guys want to be able to turn off the email responses to your posts or maybe have an option that you can change on each post?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev. - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 21:10

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 21:10
An edit function would be good to correct sppelingg mistakes and other stuff.
And a signature would be cool as well so we have a indication of who we are talking to if they wish to enable it .

Thanks.
AnswerID: 14369

Follow Up By: Kev. - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 21:14

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 21:14
Oh yeah about the email response thing , i don't mind recieving the email but it cant hurt to have the option as others may not.
FollowupID: 8635

Reply By: Member - Mixo - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 21:24

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 21:24
Great work on the site David - I know just enough on Web Site Design to be a danger - I have a lot of respect for your skills - The layout is great - quite compact and informative - email is no problem - I read most of mine at work using a big fat pipeline - we can delete anything we don't want - hey.....not enough email can be a confronting experience for those of us with no life :-)
AnswerID: 14373

Reply By: Flash - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 22:14

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 22:14
Looks good David- can't fault it at the moment....... well done.
AnswerID: 14383

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 22:32

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 22:32
David, my only "gripe" is that the first menu item you pass the cursor over, to get to the one you want, remains displayed. For example, I move the cursor from below, across "trip Planning" to "forum", and the trip planning drop-down list remains displayed. If I skip across trip planner and vehicle requirements quickly, sometimes both drop-downs remain displayed. Otherwise, it looks good, and runs fine.Well done.

BTW, the option to receive, or not, email notifications may be handy to some, but I find them a good way to jump straight to the particular stream being responded to. Being able to turn it on/off for particular streams would be excellent.

I agree with the guys above - an edit function, for we fumble finger typists, would be great. So would a spell check function. I hate publicising my apalling spelling.
AnswerID: 14385

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 23:40

Monday, Mar 03, 2003 at 23:40
Im still getting errors sometimes when I post messages, it takes me straight to Archives, not the thread Ive responded too.

Still gettin errors like Missing something in line xxx

around 5 times a day each...
AnswerID: 14394

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:22

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:22
Please keep me updated about this if you do not mind I need the program name and line number to be able to correct the problems. I have just updated one of the table locking routines to fix the one created in CreatePage.asp around line 240.

If you get anymore please let me know, they are easy to fix.

David
FollowupID: 8666

Reply By: macca - Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 21:39

Tuesday, Mar 04, 2003 at 21:39
Great job and excellent forum...an email response kill button would be handy for some arguments.(read debates) other than that great site all over
AnswerID: 14446

Reply By: sean - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 00:13

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 00:13
David

I think this a great site and might even put you in for australian of the year.

I have not a clue about web site design and dont want to know becuase that way I can suggest impossible tasks in complete ignorance, but IMHO the BEST layout of any forum I have seen is

www.advrider.com

Not knocking - just ideas for you cos I know you strive for excellence. Also a registry of members and their vehicles would be great adn this could be in the form of

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/R1150GS/

which can be updated by the members as time goes on.

Thanks for a great site

Sean
AnswerID: 14462

Sponsored Links