Bull Bar

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 01:50
ThreadID: 3666 Views:1596 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
When i brought my bj40 landcruiser it came with a big steel bullbar. Its not installed and i asked the previous owner about why he didnt use it. He said because of the weight. Im wondering if it would affect my performance much off road? Could it make the difference between getting up a big sand dune or not? It would have its advantages to putting it on but if its going to slow me down or compromise performance of my 4x4 i will leave it off. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:34

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:34
Hi Ryan,
My Toyota BJ70 swb came with a full steel (monster bar), the type with 4 uprights, cow pushers I think they call them.
The suspenion had been modified, but I noticed that the car was bouncing around the road, even worse off road. I took the bar off the front (almost breaking my back in the process) and the difference was astounding. The car has more grunt and the suspension settles very quickly over bumps. I've trashed the bar and am now looking for a normal steel bar, which are roughy half the wieght.

Regards
Frank.
AnswerID: 14473

Reply By: CJ - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 20:56

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 20:56
I'm sure it would do a good job at bouncing roos off.
Is that one of those bars that add on almost a metre to the length of the vehicle. My mate's got a 40 and used to have one and had the same problem as Frank's. He also lost a hell of alot of approach angle to sand dunes and the like.

He said the most use he got out of it was putting jerry cans, xtra batteries and toolboxes, on brackets between the bar and front of the vehicle which can have serious consequences in a collision. He opted for the smaller one in the end which was still large but only sat a few inches out from the front.
The big ones are good especially if you are starring in the movie, "Hatari". I'm pretty sure that the big four poster ones are going to be on the banned list of bullbars when it eventually happens.
Bloody pedestrian council. Better ban Mack tracks if you're going to ban bullbars.
AnswerID: 14526

Follow Up By: CJ - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 20:57

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 20:57
Sorry, Mack trucks.
FollowupID: 8762

Sponsored Links