Credit card fraud from GAME THEORY LTD

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 10, 2006 at 22:28
ThreadID: 36675 Views:2492 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
This Thread has been Locked
Hi all

just got our com bank mastercard statement with a amount on it for $996.46 aud ($750.00 usd) on it

did a search and found Credit card fraud from GAME THEORY LTD, the same name on the statment.

its only a new card (replacement of my old bankcard) only been used twice over web. this site and DigiBuy.

phoned the bank it seem to be a gaming site e.g. betting.

Please keep a look out

Regards

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 00:23

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 00:23
Is your bank reversing the charges?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 188455

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:15

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 06:15
Ok email David. I had the same company take money from my account. 700USD. Took a week or so but i got my money back. Only 2 places i use my card are here and ebay. Looks like here may be the common link. Member Pesty had a similar thing happen from a different company.
AnswerID: 188459

Reply By: Member No 1- Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 07:50

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 07:50
ive used my credit card on here many times ...and David has never given it out to anyone...:))))
AnswerID: 188466

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:29

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:29
He only gives them out if you write "off topic". Like I'm doing now.
Better cancel my card.
:)
FollowupID: 445739

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 07:58

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 07:58
Just after I used my credit card on this site about a month ago, I was rung by Suncorp Metway to let me know that my Visa card was to be replaced. A new one was sent in a few days by mail.
They said that a recently used site had been hacked into and they were in doubt as to whether credit info had been stolen. The site had informed them as soon as it had happened. Good on both of them.
Now I have have only used my card on this site and one other in the last 3 months so assumed it was this one, but I may be wrong.
Maybe David can answer the question?
AnswerID: 188467

Follow Up By: Member - Big Al. Gold Coast - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 09:02

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 09:02
Just cut up my card asked for new card and pin .
Always used cash if I can and now will only use bank cheque or postal notes.
And only use my Po box for mail. Its worth the $1 or so a week to be safe.
FollowupID: 445719

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 09:10

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 09:10
Richard, I am not sure what browser you are using, but last week, or perhaps two weeks there was a warning about a little program that establishes itself into Firefox browser and harvests numbers. I saw it in The Age.

This is the only one I can find in reference today and it isn't in relations to Firefox Site Link
This is a direct quote below
"A spokeswoman said the data theft had resulted from an attack on the victims' own computers after they were infected by a trojan horse - which is similar to a computer virus.

The trojan is called Backdoor.Haxdoor.M and it steals information by recording the key strokes entered into the computers, including bank account numbers, passwords and other personal information.

Computer users often unwittingly download malware such as trojans through infected website links or junk email that they have opened and, unlike with computer viruses, there are generally no external signs of infection."

It was a quote similar that was specific to Firefox I saw then
AnswerID: 188473

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:35

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:35
What i do to minimise the recording of my keystrokes is when you enter a number or password type some extra numbers in. Then highlight wth your mouse those wrong number and over writethem. I'm guessing that the kestroke recording viruses can't tell what you have high lighted.

So if your password is "123456"
Type in "123ABCD", then highlight "ABCD" and type over with "456"

R.
FollowupID: 445740

Follow Up By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:48

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:48
Found this one:

Site Link
FollowupID: 445743

Follow Up By: ro-dah-o (WA) - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:52

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:52
This tells alot more, and look at the characteristics, interesting how it is sent in a online order confirmation:

vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_140257.htm
FollowupID: 445746

Reply By: Beemer - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:09

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:09
G'day Richard,
I have also just recently had my mastercard hit by the fraud and Game theory amount. I am curently in disbute and waiting for a result. I also used this site.
AnswerID: 188488

Reply By: chump_boy - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:52

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:52
These are some serious allegations guys - better be real careful what you suggest about Credit Card fraud.

Have you all contacted David and Michelle, and aired your concerns?

Chump
AnswerID: 188493

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:03

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:03
Agreed.
I would guess that the software used by this site is the same encrypted secure systems used by all on line businesses.
128 bit encrypted stuff is supposed to be very very secure.

I have purchased on here and other sites without any issues.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 445749

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:40

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:40
The SSL 128 Encryption only secures your data in transit. To capture these packets of data in transit is tough though.

Where a lot of sites come unstuck, it how they deal with the data once it hits the server side. If the Site writes this data to a database, and stores all the sales Credit Card numbers, it is therefor anyone to hack in and download a long list of valid credit Card details. Another trap a lot of Web Programmers do is then take the order details and email them to the sites owner for the order processing.

Most banks won't let you start your online payment system until you can have your site and equipment audited. In the dozen or so sites I have setup as an online payment solution we had to provide evidence we didn't store payment details, details on system protection such as type and brand of firewall, procudures as to who has access, what password protection / user accounts had access, how the servers are access, where they are located etc etc to prove we ran a secure server, in a secure datacenter that had no physical access without going through security etc.

Steve
FollowupID: 445757

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:50

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:50
Hi all
No one is saying (on my side) this site or the other site was to blame "JUST THEY ARE THE ONLY SITES THIS CARD HAS BEEN USED ON"

JohnR
I use MEI as a browser

Motherhen
I have contacted the bank, they were to fax me a form to fill out but as of 9.36 am I have not received it.

By the way I have brought thousand's of dollars of stuff off this site and a lot off others over the last 10 years or so and this is the first time I have had any problems. I have never had problems trusting people.

This thread was to be used as information only. I am and are shore other are not accusing anyone of anything.

if further comments are to be made please use my name not others

Regards

Richard Kovac
AnswerID: 188509

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:57

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 11:57
I don't know how long now that they have been doing it, but this site now uses the National Australia Bank Secure Payment service.

This system doesn't even provide the credit card number to the merchant site at all, so the only ways for your credit card details to be grabbed are:

1. hacking the NAB systems (possible, but unlikely)
2. keystroke capture using one of the many Trojan Horse viruses that are about.

This site's current practices are best practice from what I can see.

First place to start looking would be your own browser/PC for Trojan Horses, I would think.

Ciao for now
Andrew who has good reason to know, having worked in Internet Payments for some years.
AnswerID: 188511

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:06

Friday, Aug 11, 2006 at 12:06
Hi Richard,
We take any allegations of suspected fraud very seriously and the correct course of action would have been for you to advise us of your concerns with a phone call or direct email.

The facts are: making a credit card payment for a purchase on ExplorOz is done directly through to the bank, not via any server of ours. For the past 3 months we have been using NSIPS - the highest degree of security for online payments utilising the National Secure Internet Payment Service. This system was put in place as a premptive measure and no fraud could occur with an ExplorOz purchase without the bank being hacked and hence the bank's systems would be in terrible trouble - it would be national (pun!) disaster and it would be all over the news - this is not the case with your transaction.

I know you Richard, and I appreciate that you didn't intend to make this post damaging to our reputation, but the inference that the fraud could possibly occured due to an ExplorOz transaction is completley factless, untrue and defamatory as you can see it has already sparked various comments as such from other people.

My message to all consumers - is that credit card use does indeed come with risks, but on our site we have taken the uptmost measures to protect your security - in fact if you use the NSIPs system to make your payment for a purchase here, we never even see your card details, we only get a message back from the bank to confirm an approved transaction has occured, thereby further eliminating our staff from any suspicion.

On our site, we also offer other payment methods for those that prefer not to use credit card - cheques, money orders, direct bank deposits are all accepted here. We are committed to looking after you and your payment security.

The issue of how credit card details are obtained from thieves is far more complex than simple hacks and more far-reaching than just over the internet. As others have said there are keyboard command programs, there is always the risk when you quote your card number over the phone to a person because you don't know who they are, if they write it down and leave the paper somewhere at risk, or if they intentionally misuse the numbers, and of course you should always only use sites that offer true secure payment gateways, with the best security offered directly via the bank systems. This is why, even with our previous high level of security we decided to move to the NSIPs system to further offer security to our consumers.

The only upside to all this is that the bank has to cover your losses when a transaction occurs on your card without your signature - although it is a time consuming pain in the neck to have cards cancelled and reissued etc at least you wont be out of pocket for fraudulent purchases you didn't make.

Really sorry to hear about your situation Richard, but please don't suggest to anyone that it come via us - this is untrue and impossible as I've explained above.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 188513

Sponsored Links