80 series rear diff lock.

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 15:18
ThreadID: 3675 Views:5046 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if using an automatic locker in the rear of an early 80 series will lead to excessive noise when cornering. Am looking at things like the Lock Rite locker for now untill later on putting in a manual locker in the front. If anyone has heard also if a LSD for the front is worth the money could they let me know. If getting an auto locker for the rear does anyone have opinions on type and where I can get one at a good price or even second hand in good condition in Brisbane.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 15:28

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 15:28
LSD in the front is dangerous.

Lockrite 'for now' is a waste of money... Do it right do it once, save $100's!

ARB is THE manual locker.. Nothing comes close.
Where to get, ARB anywhere!
AnswerID: 14500

Follow Up By: desert - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 20:52

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 20:52
Hey Truckster, ya can't make a sweeping statement like; LSD in the front is dangerous.???????? Thats crap mate, Ford have been fitting LSD's into front diffs of Bronco's, F series trucks, since they were first built. 1980 or so, with the twin axle front end in them. I've owned two of them and they are a formidable 4x4 and certainly under-estimated their capability, in their day. They would run rings around any Toyota, Nissan, even Rangies in serious, hard 4x4 country back then (80's). Much to do with their excellent Low-range gearing (56:1) low-low, grunty engines, tight turning circle (they could turn inside the circle of a Tojo), choice of wheel bases, very supple suspension, despite rear leafs and not to mention a pair of LSD's front and back. And the myth about the huge body was largely that. Only once did the body size stop me from squeezing through a tree cut by a Suzuki owner! In fact, the wide wheel track was another of it's advantages, as it could straddle a lot of washouts that had the Jap cars falling over. Horses for courses buddy, but that front LSD was a ripper in a deep bog, just rocking the steering was enough to get the wheels to bite, and through you go. Not much stopped them and they did it easy, without diff locks!
FollowupID: 8848

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:58

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:58
Common knowledge using an LSD from the REAR of a car is dangerous.

Lots of threads on the Patrol list on it, and ALL say Bzzzzzzz... Even on 80scool list they say the same thing......

Go for it, nothign stopping you, except axle spline sizes etc.
FollowupID: 8858

Reply By: Coops - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 18:40

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 18:40
I have Lock Right in rear and works fine but my recommendation though, would be to put Lock Right in front diff (provided it's not full time 4WD) and put the best quality oil that you can in rear LSD. That should see you through the toughest of likely situations.
Lock Right from 4WD systems are heaps cheaper than anywhere else and mine have had some treatment over last 3 years and I haven't even considered that they would fail me. In fact once they're in you forget all about 'em.
One day when I'm filthy rich (as opposed to just filthy) then I shall put ARB Air Locker in rear but will stick with Lock Right in front.
We're all different and you'll get a thousand different points of view - that's mine for ya.
Cheers

AnswerID: 14515

Reply By: Tom - Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 20:26

Wednesday, Mar 05, 2003 at 20:26
Don't put a Lock Rite in the rear if it's manual - it will clunk and buck and generally be a real pain on the road - if you have an automatic trans I believe it's not too bad to have one in the rear.

I put one in the rear of my manual 60 series for a week and couldn't swap it to the front quick enough.

I am extremely happy with it the front - virtually unnoticeable to the steering but much more capable 4 wheeling...would recommend it to anyone who's a bit budget conscious...
AnswerID: 14522

Reply By: charlie - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 00:43

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 00:43
Sorry for not being too specific but mines a full time fourby so cant swap it for the front. looks like I'll have to get the ARB for reliability and functionality. Thanks for the input though. I need an air compressor anyway and will probably mount a small tank aswell. I did like the idea of putting in an air con compressor but there is absoutely no room under the bonnet for one. I think I will go for the max air from bushranger as I have heard good things about performance and price and maintenance.

Thanks for your help.

Charlie
AnswerID: 14542

Reply By: charlie - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 00:43

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 00:43
Sorry for not being too specific but mines a full time fourby so cant swap it for the front. looks like I'll have to get the ARB for reliability and functionality. Thanks for the input though. I need an air compressor anyway and will probably mount a small tank aswell. I did like the idea of putting in an air con compressor but there is absoutely no room under the bonnet for one. I think I will go for the max air from bushranger as I have heard good things about performance and price and maintenance.

Thanks for your help.

Charlie
AnswerID: 14543

Reply By: Kev. - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:18

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:18
Another option would be to have the locker in the front and install free wheeling hubs but the cost of this will probebly be the same as a air locker anyway.
I personaly wouldnt put a mechanical locker in the rear as it would be anoying onroad.

You'll never regret installing an air locker !!!
AnswerID: 14555

Reply By: kcrman - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 19:05

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 19:05
I had an 80 series (full time 4wd & auto) with a detroit locker in the rear and found it to be just great, the only noise you could hear was at idle speed (ie: in car parks, etc) and this was only a very slight clicking noise as it unlocked when turning.
The advantages: No hoses, no wiring or other electrics. no compressor all possible failure points
The disadvantages:Its not an open diff for general around town work.
AnswerID: 14676

Sponsored Links