GPS

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 09:50
ThreadID: 3686 Views:2130 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just went for a ride in a mate's brand new Cruiser Safari. With GPS.

Has a great GPS that has a disk drive that has an eastern states datababse. He just pluged in an Address and the system took us there with voice instruction. Has fuel stations etc. Very simple to use. Is there and aftermarket system compatible to this and if so what is the cost including software. Also interested in romote navigation as well.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:01

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:01
Dolfn,

Did you mean Cruiser "SAHARA"?

If so the GPS is basically just an electronic street directory and I would suggest it is a long way off from being usefull in the outback or finding 4WD tracks. The disk is DVD based rather than CD so I don't think anyone else has anytthing compatible at this stage.
This system is standard in most of the Top spec Toyota's and is iptional on just about every current Toyota.
AnswerID: 14550

Reply By: Member - Lex - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:26

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:26
It is my understanding that at present all of these in car navigation systems use vector maps rather than image or raster maps that you can use with moving map software such as OziExplorer. While the vector system works well in cities there is no software to my knowledge for remote or rural area travel. Stick to OziExplorer and you can't go wrong.
AnswerID: 14556

Reply By: Gerry - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 13:10

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 13:10
I agree - Oziexplorer combined with the Auslig map series works great. I have a laptop which hangs on the cargo barrier, a Garmin GPSII+ and a Tandy 4 inch TV set mounted on the dash as the display. At an appropriate zoom level, it's really easy to see where you are on the small screen. I just leave the laptop on all day. Oziexplorer logs the whole thing to disk as you drive. Using this setup gives you a huge amount of flexibility in route planning and recording. And, if you're so inclined (and providing you have a signal) you can even watch TV at the end of a hard day's driving :)

Cheers
Gerry

AnswerID: 14562

Follow Up By: Member - Lex - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 17:02

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 17:02
Gerry do you find the tv display adequate? I had all sorts of trouble trying to output the laptop to an in dash DVD screen which I purchased at great expense ;only to find the resolution very poor. I have now mounted a pocket PC on the dash running OziExplrer CE . So far I am very impressed with the result.
FollowupID: 8790

Follow Up By: Gerry - Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 17:29

Thursday, Mar 06, 2003 at 17:29
Hi Lex. Yes, I find it quite adequate but only if I zoom in to 400% and then set the display to view more of the track in the direction of travel. You are right in that resolution isn't real flash therefore I have also increased the size of the yellow waypoint markers and made the route lines thicker. It only shows a small portion of the map but outside of built up areas it's more than enough to keep track of where you are. I always have a paper map handy in case I need to look further ahead. I have no doubt that your screen would be much better but I really wasn't prepared to pay big $$'s for a dedicated screen.
FollowupID: 8793

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 19:58

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 19:58
Dolfn
Garmin sell their Street Pilot 3 which is a portable unit similar to above and comes with software onboard and CD backup.
Street Level navigation is restricted to Capital Cities Gold Coast, Surfers etc.
Runs off cig lighter and comes complete with Serial cable.
Cost $2695 rrp.
Used one to get from Wagga to Bayswater Vic when I picked up my Tvan a couple of weeks ago and it took me right to the door no problem.
Check out www.gme.net.au
cheers
AnswerID: 14627

Sponsored Links