duel fuel stove

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 15:46
ThreadID: 3704 Views:3042 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
2 burner coleman stove. went to buy one yesterday bloke in the shop trying to talk me out of it saying they are hard to regulate and dont simmer well.
Sorry to harp on about this from a previous question.(Thanks for previous replies)
But can these stoves efectively simmer on 1 and 2 burners.
ie simmer meal while cooking rice. I just dont fancy spending $200 to find that it wont do the job.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 17:35

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 17:35
DARRIN. BROUGHT A 2 BURNER STOVE ABOUT A YEAR AGO & WOULDNT GO BACK TO ANYTHING ELSE.STOVE TAKES A BIT OF GETTING USED TO FIRING UP BUT ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF IT,IT DOES EVERYTHING VERY WELL.IT WOULD BE MONEY WELL SPENT.
AnswerID: 14622

Follow Up By: Darrin - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 15:23

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 15:23
Thanks for your comments Nick. All the responses have been positive until the fifth reply which makes me wonder how there can be all of these positive responses then one person tells me how bad they are.
Do you agree with any of his comments?
FollowupID: 8871

Reply By: Peter - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 02:28

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 02:28
definately worth every cent.
AnswerID: 14652

Reply By: FNQer - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 13:08

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 13:08
I have to agree with the other gents, I have had one for 3 years now and as previously stated, they take a bit of getting used to but I would never go back.
AnswerID: 14659

Follow Up By: Darrin - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 15:58

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 15:58
FNQer are you based in the Cairns area? It would be good to talk to someone who actually uses these stoves.
Darrin
FollowupID: 8874

Reply By: paul - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 13:41

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 13:41
Darrin

I notice no-one actually answered your question. I have only recently converted to absorbtion method of cooking rice from using a rice cooker all my life and am revelling in the capacity to incorporate stocks etc.

Anyhow, i understand where you are coming from and do not own a dual fuel stove only cause they are so expensive, though i cannot rave enough about my dual fuel lantern which even after being knocked over and drowned by a salt water wave started up again straight away, but anyhow i reckon take a litre of unleaded fuel into a camping shop and ask for a demonstration - for a $200 product if they refuse to demonstrate try another store, someone will.

And let us know about the simmer rate. By the way i have just renovated my kitchen and after many years finally got my Tudor (made in Melbourne) gas stove top - the mid burners have the capacity to be reduced to the lowest gas flame on the market, amazing, like equivalent to about putting four match heads together.

cheers
AnswerID: 14662

Reply By: Scott - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 14:57

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 14:57
Darrin the Coleman dual fuel stoves will not simmer at all well. They require constant fiddling and pumping to get anything like a reasonable simmer on just the main burner. If you fire up the second burner the first burner needs to be nearly fully on high to enable the stove to generate sufficient fuel evaporation to make the pressurised gas for the second burner. You just have to look at the design of the stove to see that it would be impossible for the stove to simmer properly on the second burner. For example if you want to do a pot roast or use a pressure cooker and vegetables in another pot at the same time it is just not possible on a Coleman dual fuel stove. My next door neighbour has a near new still in the box Coleman dual fuel stove for sale $120 freight paid anywhere in Australia if you are interested. A neighbour a few doors away also has a Coleman dual fuel stove for sale. The reason why they are selling them is that they go like hell on one burner, mediocre on two burners and they cannot be set to simmer. You will also need to buy new generators for the Coleman dual fuel stove and should carry a spare one with you as they can go any time and the stove will not work when they fail. Overall a dual fuel stove is not a viable proposition if you like to cook and eat well when camping. One company I used to work for had a gas stove and a dual fuel stove as a second stove/back-up and know only to well how tempremental and how much pumping and filling they take. You need to watch and tend to the dual fuel stoves all the time. If you try to simmer the stove there is not sufficient heat after a short time and the next thing you will have large yellow flames and black smoke.

The Coleman two burner gas stove is the best performing and functioning camping gas stove available with sufficiently sized burners of 10,000 BTU. The electronic ignition works well, and the gas controls have 2.5 turns from off to full on and can be set and left to simmer perfectly on both burners. The Coleman gas stove does not have jets that can block like other gas stoves. Many of the other brands of camping gas stoves have burners of 5,500 BTU or 8,000 BTU which are next to useless.

I am a chef for bus touring companies around Australia and use two Coleman 3 burner gas stoves called the Guide Series to cook on. These stoves do a lot of work and do not fail.
AnswerID: 14667

Follow Up By: Darrin - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 15:29

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 15:29
Thanks Scott for answering my questions.
Its allways interesting the differing responses you get from people.
having read the previous responses I was ready to go buy the stove. But now you have me wondering again.
If you can pass on your neighbours details re stove for sale I may contact them once I make up my mind which way to go.
Thanks
Darrin
FollowupID: 8873

Follow Up By: Scott - Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:17

Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:17
Darrin you can e-mail me at aroundaus at hotmail.com and and I will pass on your details to him. The dual fuel stove is like new still in the box.
FollowupID: 8894

Reply By: One Iota - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 18:56

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 18:56
Darrin,

It depends on what and how you cook. We seem to have forgotten how to cook over an open fire.

Your question was: can you simmer on both burners 1 & 2.

The answer is simply: no.

The Coleman has a primary burner off which is fed the secondary burner. If both burners are running and you adjust the primary burner up or down then the secondary burner changes in sympathy requiring adjustment of the secondary burner. I regard the secondary burner as the simmer burner and the primary as the cooking burner.

So what does this mean at the end of a long day on the road?

Change your cooking techniques and recipes.

I chose the DF because I can power both the DF stove and and my DF lantern with UL petrol from a 5l jerry can for considerable periods with out worrying about finding a gas refilling station and packing a 9kg tank.

There in lies the choice for me. Each to their own.

Mahn
AnswerID: 14675

Follow Up By: Scott - Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:37

Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:37
and the problem is once you start that second burner you reduce your heat on the main burner to an extent it does not perform well enough. If you are only cooking for two people then you will get sufficient heat out of the first burner when you turn on the second, but if you have a decent sized pot on the main burner give up. The hassle and danger of having to fill the tank with petrol. Then the time spent to pump the tank and to pump the tank while cooking especially with the two burners going and to keep them going half reasonable is a dangerous practice. You have to try and hold the hot tank and pump the plunger at the same time.
I use a fluro light which would run off your standard car battery for a full week without worrying about starting. For gas cylinders 2 x 1kg bottles or 2 x 2kg bottles for cooking last a substantial amount of time. A two burner stove will use 210 grams of gas per hour so a 1kg bottle of gas would burn two burners full bore for 5 hours which is a substantial amount of cooking. Considering a Coleman gas stove boils a litre of water in 4 minutes, 5 hours is one hell of a lot of cooking on full power on two burners. On average cooking you would expect a 1kg gas bottle to last around 15 hours of cooking. In the tour buses we use 4.5kg gas bottles and using two stoves with three burners they last a 14 day tour and still it is not empty.
FollowupID: 8897

Follow Up By: One Iota - Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 13:44

Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 13:44
Scott,

Not much to dispute there given the operation that you run and there is no doubt that gas has its advantages.

I usually cook for 4 and for dinner this boils down to pasta and a`sauce (not always preprepared). I cook the sauce first on the primary then transfer to the secondary to simmer and boil a large pot of water for the pasta.

For a quick brew I have a compact Butane/Propane cooker.

In 5 years I have not run out of fuel mid cooking as I fill the tank prior to cooking (or at least check). You cannot fill the tank during cooking as the design prevents this and even so the tank does not get hot. As for priming and starting: this becomes second nature.The most annoying part is filling the tank because no matter how careful you are you are bound to get a little petrol on your hands. However having said that I think that the concerns over the risks of using fuel are greatly exaggerated, but care is always required, I would't smoke while filling my car either.

As an infrequent user I don't have to worry about how much gas is in the bottle whereas I can easily tell how much ULP I have.

I have not had to replace the jet on the stove yet but have had to do so on the Lantern. This cost $9.00 after 5 years. I could have cleaned the jet in the generator in turps to remove the gumming up associated with petrol.

I also use a fluoro when I can park the truck close enough to the work area.

As for fuel consumption 5 Litres would last me up to 10 days for both Lantern and Stove.

Would I change to gas? For me on balance, no. The ultimate test is that no one has complained about the taste or temperature of the food or the time it takes to cook.

Mahn
FollowupID: 8904

Reply By: chopper - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 21:13

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 21:13
I'll add a voice to the support of dual fuel.

I use mine to cook meals for large groups and whack the rice on first, then move it to simmer, while cooking the rest on the primary burner.

In my experience once you go to DF (and learn how to use it) you don't go back to gas.
AnswerID: 14680

Reply By: Member - Colin- Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 01:14

Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 01:14
My thoughts
I must admitt I have never used a dual fuel stove but !! - regardless of the cooking abilities, I have always been a little concerned about having petrol and naked flame together in a camp situation. I have used a 2 burner gas stove for, Hmmm, about 30 years without any troubles with cooking or blocked jets etc. I use 2 1kg bottle, one for the frig and one for the stove. The 1 kg bottles pack easy in a Subaru where space is scarce and haven't run out of gas in the usual 3 week trip. In regard to cooking - I find my mothers old presure cooker (must be 50 years old) to be very handy, especially cooking veges, just like a microwave!
AnswerID: 14703

Follow Up By: Scott - Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:43

Sunday, Mar 09, 2003 at 10:43
Colin I use two pressure cookers for cooking for the bus tours nearly every night and would never be without a pressure cooker. The travellers are always so amazed what I use a pressure cooker for and how I use it. I usually give an evening on demonstrating cooking in a pressure cooker and finish off cooking a cake and then have it with evening tea and coffee. The brand I have found to be excellent and reasonably priced is Fagor available from BigW.

If your mothers old pressure cooker is a Prestige or a branded one made by Prestige in Australia, I would HIGHLY recomend you replace it. The design of the Prestige units was not up to scratch and they never changed the mould and the pressure cookers got too thin in the later years.
FollowupID: 8898

Reply By: Alpaca - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 13:24

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 13:24
We originally had a two burner stove and after some teething problems it all worked well. We changed to two single dual fuel stoves and generally use one for most meals with the back-up of the second. Reason easier to store, less room, more flexibility and from memory they were cheaper to buy than the two burner type. As for cooking, we use a good quality stainless steel saucepan that you spin the lid to seal the saucepan and you don't require any more heat to complete the cooking.
We gave the original to myson to help encourage him to get out into the bush a bit more.
AnswerID: 14768

Reply By: Member - Mike - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 14:38

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 14:38
Where have I been all this time? I have dual fuel, swear by it, cook brilliant rice and curries (abosorbtion) and have never (r) never had a temperature problem (until now!). Other gourmet dishes not a problem.
Certainly one needs to train oneself and realise that changing one knob affects the other's setting.
Judging by the threads this is an emotive issue and all our responses will only confuse!
Mike
AnswerID: 14774

Reply By: Trevor - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 17:04

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 17:04
I'd like to speak in favour of the Coleman Duel Fuel stoves and lanterns. I won't repeat everything already said on the subject, but will make two observations.
First, when lighting, light your match BEFORE opening the fuel valve. This will prevent flooding and the resultant yellow flame with poor combustion.
Second, try using Coleman Fuel, available from Camping Stores and some Hardware shops in 4 Litre square tins. Or, try Shellite, available from some Servos or Hardware Shops in round 4 Litre tins or 1 Litre plastic bottles.
Both of these fuels burn much cleaner than petrol and give more heat for the same fuel quantity.

Trev
AnswerID: 14851

Sponsored Links