Carbon Clean/Injector Service

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 19:02
ThreadID: 3706 Views:4542 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of putting the car in for a clean/injector service? Can one of my learned users please give me the run down on injector services. I know about carbon cleaning. I want to know what is an Injector service - technically?

David

Also anyone out there in the Perth area that can do these - let me know?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 20:34

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 20:34
David, the injectors are dismantled and inspected for wear and/or pitting of the sealing seats. A common method of cleaning is ultrasound. Any worn parts, ie seats, nozzles etc, are replaced. The unit is then tested under pressure to simulate fuel being passed through it and the :break off point is measured on the pressure machine. This can be adjusted with shims under the springs inside. Finally, the spray pattern is checked and OK'd. Clean shut off and correct patterns are manditory for correct fuel combustion, engine performance and fuel usage. Then thay are replaced with new washers into the cylinder head. Done.
AnswerID: 14629

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 22:43

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 22:43
At what stage of an engines life would this be recomended? I understand it is a costly process. My diesel gq has 130k's on it, should it get done soon? (p.s I rarely let the tank go below a 1/4). And also what is the difference in price between mine (non direct rotary type) and a new diesel (direct injection)? Thanks Desert. Andrew...
FollowupID: 8853

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:11

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:11
Thanks for that desert,

Could I then also ask about what is best to do and in what order. Our vehicle is blowing a bit of smoke and just does not feel like it is performing correctly. On or last vehicle I had a carbon clean done and it made a huge difference to it. How would one decide which option should be taken?

Any thoughts.

David
FollowupID: 8854

Follow Up By: desert - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:03

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:03
Andrew and David. Sorry about the delay, have been bush. There is no hard and fast rule regarding when injectors should be cleaned. You could theoretically have them cleaned on Monday and get a bad load of fuel on Tuesday and undo all of that work! But when an engine suddenly begins blowing black smoke, it is an indication that all is not right. Injectors are only one of a number of possible causes. I would suggest you get it looked at firstly to eliminate the small, obvious causes before moving to pull injectors. Having said that, I had mine ultrasonic cleaned at 20,000km (GU Patrol), because I was looking for reasons as to why it was so gutless. Even at this point of it's life, the cleaned injectors did show a slight improvment in power. Cost was about $80/unit for the workshop side of it and I removed and refitted them myself. On an engine that has done 130k and all else is fine,ie filters,air,tappets,timing,diaghrgms,waste gates etc, then only good can be had from having the injectors checked and serviced. If it is shown you have nothing wrong with them, then you have peace of mind.If they need work, then same thing!
FollowupID: 9090

Reply By: Coops - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 21:32

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 21:32
David
I posted a question in November about who was best for injector service in perth and most answers came up with United. I believe one on GE Highway in Belmont in particular although I could stand corrected on that as I ran out of time and had to pass on the service (and aren't I regretting THAT now !).
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 14633

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:35

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:35
Andrew, 130,000klms could be suggested to be done. It wil help fuel econ, and if its blowing black poo out the pipe at great rate of knots, then yes get it done

Then the bad part.........
One quote I had was $80 per injector.... + labour
AnswerID: 14638

Sponsored Links