engine imobilisers

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 19:32
ThreadID: 3708 Views:1719 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gooday guys, I have three questions regarding engine imobilisers.

1) Do insurance companys give you credit on your premiums for instaling an anti theft device?

2) How do they imobilise the engine, is it like a remote control for a relay in the starter circuit?

3) Will i have to wait for my turbo timer to time out before i can activate the imobiliser?

I appreciate any responses to the above questions. Have a good weekend all. Andrew...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 19:43

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 19:43
In WA these things are manaditory!

To answer your questions:

1) I think most of them do if it is a product that the company has on its list of approved devices, also depends on the state you are in - even within the same insurer.

2) Most of them that I have seen break the circuit for the ignition behind the dash. They use a relay to isolate the main power to the starter circuit. Some of them do this in more than one place. So yes it is like a remote control only that it automatically arms 20-60 seconds after you turn the iginition off no matter what.

3) Not 100% sure however, I believe that in the turbo models the timer is not touched by the wiring of the imobiliser.

Personally I think they are fantastic, the more upmarket units can also act as alarm systems and close windows, lock doors etc etc. A good investment to assit in protection of your expensive piece of equipment.

David
AnswerID: 14626

Follow Up By: Andrew - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 22:35

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 22:35
Much Appreciated David. I will look at getting some prices this weekend. Hopefully my RACQ insurance will reward me. New site layout is looking good. Keep up the good work. Thanks again Andrew..
FollowupID: 8852

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:32

Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:32
#1) Some do.. But who cares, even if its insured, I dont want to lose mine!!!

#3) you either have to wait for turbo timer to shut down, or get an expensive modern one...

Thats what all the Ginos in lowered Civics and Hyuandis use..... Thats the only good thing to come from them!
AnswerID: 14636

Reply By: toonfish - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 01:29

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 01:29
i only have a rhino alarm but it has central locking immoboliser and turbo cutoff facility and voltage sensor all up $150.
installed myself but make sure you use locking washers and loctite on the bolts holding door actuators as they dont like to be rattled (opens and shuts continuosly until no resistance is felt)
hope it helps
cheers
AnswerID: 14645

Reply By: diamond - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 16:59

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 16:59
hi answer to first question most insurance companys will give you a discount about 5%
2 most imobilisers work by shutting of fuel supply in vehicles with electric fuel pumps it stops the supply of power and if no electric fuel pump as in your case i take it a diesel it cuts out the power to ignition and 3 more insurance companys will be more worried about your turbo timer being fitted i know at least in victoria if im doing a roadworthy i have to knock back turbo timers so be carefull and make sure your insurance company know you have one and get in in writing.
AnswerID: 14673

Reply By: paul - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 19:49

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 19:49
just thought i'd chuck this in cause people with immobilisers seemed impressed last time i chucked it into a thread. I don't want my fridge to stop when i lock the wagon up on a stop but i don't want people to break in the window and drive off with the key in the ignition. So with an immobiliser fitted i had a key cut without the transponder - this opens the doors and starts the electrics but because the transponder only communicates with the starter electrics the wagon does not start. Also, my spare stored outside the vehcile is a non-transponder key which if anyone else found it would enable entry into the car but unless they know which wires to cross still would be unable to drive away with it. The transponder key is hidden within the vehicle.

woof
AnswerID: 14678

Sponsored Links