Dual Battery system

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2003 at 23:31
ThreadID: 3714 Views:2803 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'd like to add a dual battery/management system to my 100 series TD Land Cruiser. There are two cranking batteries as original equipment, and no adequate space under the bonnet for any additional battery. I have spoken to three different suppliers and had three different proposals. The consensus seems to be that a deep cycle battery is best for the accessories- I want to run fridge & lights, but one supplier reckons I need both cranking batteries for the vehicle to operate properly.I'd welcome suggestions on a solution for both battery combination, and management systems. How large ( physical size & Ah capacity) a Deep Cycle battery will fit a Cruiser? Thanks everybody!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops - Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 02:24

Saturday, Mar 08, 2003 at 02:24
I'm sure you'll find all the information you require on previous threads if you type "Dual Battery" in the search engine Bob.
It comes up quite often and there's plenty of good stuff to get your teeth into.
Good luck
AnswerID: 14651

Reply By: Member - Mal - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 13:41

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 13:41
bob_h,
I am presently looking at installing a third battery. I have seen it done. What I am determining at present is how BIG a battery can be fitted. I have also got ARB Southside in Brisbane interested. When I know more, I will post it.
Mal T.
AnswerID: 14769

Reply By: joc45 - Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 18:32

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 18:32
Hi, Bob,
A friend did his TD a couple of months ago, ARB in Perth just separated the batt's and put in a solenoid in between. Said it was a 'smart' one, but it just looks like a solenoid to me, and cost him about $360. The vehicle starts on just one battery (and they are smaller than N70's).
Only thing is I have heard the same as you were told; the diesel needs more than the one battery to start the thing. Could be something to do with the electronics not handling lower volts too well. It seems to start ok, tho, but it's only months old.
The next step for the above config would be to fit the biggest cranking-amps battery on the engine side, and a good deep-cycle on the accessory side.
Perhaps someone else can add to this - I would have thought that the un-turbo'd engine would be running higher static comp than a turbo'd one and be harder to turn, yet they start on one batt ok.
AnswerID: 14792

Follow Up By: GaryInOz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 00:09

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 00:09
Just been doing a bit of research on batteries (for other reasons). Thought you might like to try this link:

http://www.odysseybatteries.com.au/odyssey/default.htm

Interesting battery with about double the CCA capacity compared with Lead acid batteries of the same size. Just as comfortable as a deep cycle as well.
FollowupID: 8956

Reply By: Ozy traveling Aussie - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 15:09

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 15:09
bob_h,
I don't own a Cruiser, however I would think if Toyota put two batteries in they did it for a reason......

However that said, maybe you could replace them with one higher CCA starting battery in a larger tray...?

I have had the wireing in my diesel vechle changed, I only have the essential items to run the vehicle running from the start battery and all accessories, radioes, interior lights ets run from the deep cycle battery system.

Re: the Fridge battery, I would use a "good quality" electronic battery isolator between the cranking battery(s) and as many amp/hrs as I could fit in the back of the vehicle.
TWO X 80 or 100 plus amp/hrs deep cycle batteries wired in parellel would be suitable to run the fridge and all your accessories better than one large battery.

Quality Deep cycle batteries are built specificly to accept the high amp drain when used by your fridge and accessories.
AnswerID: 15783

Reply By: Member - Greg - Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 18:37

Monday, Mar 24, 2003 at 18:37
Bob H,
I have been on holidays and are just catching up on all the posts.I have a 100 td auto,did what you are contemplating 18 months ago.Auto electrician suggested a Traxide battery controller [www.traxide.com.au] fairly reasonable price wise and the biggest deep cycle I could put in.
Did some research on the net including this forum and did it.I put in a 135 amp hr battery with a traxide controller and also a solenoid and an internal switch to start battery from Deep Cycle if and when starting battery fails.
18 mths and 40k later couldn't be happier.Everything works fine.I heard Toyota use 2 batteries originally because they are hard to start in COLD weather but we live on Gold Coast so no worries.The main starting battery hasn't failed yet so I don't know whether the aux battery will start it however I have practised a few times and it seems ok.
The auto sparky ran a dedicated 10 mm squared cable to the rear and put 2 Narva sockets in [so now I have 3 including original].All up cost about $800..Hope this helps Greg G
AnswerID: 15982

Follow Up By: shaky - Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 22:59

Sunday, Apr 06, 2003 at 22:59
Greg,
I've just come across your Traxide recommendation. My question is what battery (135ah) did you fit and which Traxide battery controller? I'm curious as to why a solenoid had to be used.
thanks
Steve
FollowupID: 10604

Reply By: greg g - Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 18:05

Monday, Apr 07, 2003 at 18:05
Hi Shaky
Firstly let me tell you I am no expert on batteries etc. I did my research on the net and as you would know everyone has their own opponion especially those who sell th bl..dy things asked my auto electrician what he thought and we came up with the system I am Using..
The controller is a traxide SC80..traxide have their own web site..The battery is not branded,it is made in the US it has USD 87L marked on it.The dimensions are165mm wide,325mm long and about 240mm high to the top of the terminals..Ihad to cut one end out of the plastic battery tray so it would fit in..
The auto sparky suggested the solenoid and internal switch so if the starting battery [original toyota one] died,instead of swapping them around or using jumper leads [wife doesn't like doing that if alone] you just hit the rocker switch at the same time as you key the ignition..
IT WORKS..

Hope this helps regards Greg G
AnswerID: 17063

Sponsored Links