What exactly is "Fast Charge" for charging battery packs?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 17:18
ThreadID: 3744 Views:2019 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Is "Fast Charge" for wiring up vehicles to run accessories such as a fridge simply a heavier cable direct from your battery back to a heavier duty plug than the normal cigarette lighter? Can anyone enlighten us? We need to wire up our car with a heavier cable to run our new car fridge & are looking for any hints? Hopefully what we do will act as a "Fast Charge" if we should buy a power pack at a later date.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 17:33

Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 17:33
Waeco supply a fast charge pack for running fridges etc it is hard wired direct to your battery using heavier cable but a normal cigarette lighter plug , I was told by Opposite lock when I brought my Power pack that it will fully charge the pack in around two hours , which has proved true unless I am running headlghts GPS etc at the same time I then find it may take up to 4 hours running time to fully charge the power pack (urban) waeco .com.au remote power systems should provide you with more info . Peter York4x4
AnswerID: 14788

Reply By: Bob Y. - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 21:39

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 21:39
Rosalie, Think "Fast Charge" relates more to a charger's ability to dump heaps of power(amps) into a battery. For your fridge you need to run twin cable (6 mm) from your battery, or auxilary batt. via a fuse block, then to where you want to site the fridge. You'll need some convoluted tube to run the cable in, and the best place to run it is along underneath the kick strip, at bottom of each door.

The heavy duty plugs are often a preference thing, what isn't here? I've used Merit plugs, and both Hella and Narva make similar H/D plugs. They are much more positive, and can handle about 20 amps. Have seen one bloke fit Hella marine 2 pole sockets to bull bar and rear bar, to power other electrics, like flouro's etc.

Whitworths have these items, or any reputable auto electrician, or Repco. Piranha in Melbourne also sell all this stuff. Yell out if I haven't been long-winded enough. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 14881

Sponsored Links