Jackaroo diff additive

Submitted: Monday, Mar 10, 2003 at 19:49
ThreadID: 3748 Views:3772 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone shed some light on the diff additive that Holden state must be added to Jackaroo & Rodeo diffs. I not trying to cut corners, I just want to find a suitable alternative that is readily available at most atuo spare shops.
Is Nulon gear lube a suitable alternative to the Holden product? Jackaroo 3.5 petrol 03/98 model

I would also like to know if the font diff also requires an additive? Are front diffs limited slip or not ?

Thanks in advance

New Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 08:24

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 08:24
The front diff is an open type so you don't need the additive there.

If you look at www.mobil.com.au, their lubricant recommendations state that you need to add additive p/n 10523580 . I'd ask at a local Repco store if their's an alternative, or whether they stock the additive.

I don't think Nulon G70 is a suitable replacement. Somehow I feel that teflon coating the LSD clutches could end up destroying the LSD, despite their claim that it's safe in LSDs.

AnswerID: 14813

Reply By: Member - NOBBY - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:12

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:12
What's this all about.. I to have a 2000 jack and have never been told anything about adding any additive to the diffs. What are the symptoms if I don't, and what are the consequents. At the moment my Jack is running perfectly.
AnswerID: 14817

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:10

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:10
Nobby...

There is an additive specified for the rear LSD. You'll find it listed in the lubricants section of the owners manual.

I don't know what happens if you don't use it. Worse case I guess is that the LSD won't function correctly.
FollowupID: 8965

Reply By: Member - Dingley - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:14

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 11:14
I took my advice from Castrol - they have a product that can be used straight from the bottle that satisfies the stated Isuzu requirement.....can't remember the ID right now. Castrol are very helpful - you can email them with a query and the techo will phone you back !
www.castrol.com.au
AnswerID: 14829

Follow Up By: Savvas - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:20

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:20
Dingley...

Just to confuse the issue. I put in a technical enquiry to Castrol via their website, and just like you said they called me the very next day. However, they gave me a totally different story.

This fellow told me that I should use LSX 85W/140 (the one recommended for Isuzu diffs) or SAF-XA 75W/140 (their new synthetic fluid), but the additive should still be added!!

Have tried the recommended lube without the additive and did you get any chatter from the LSD?

I've also asked people on a US forum, and they're just using straight up LSD fluid without problems. Isuzu specifies the additive in the US too.
FollowupID: 9121

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:39

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:39
Going off Dingley's tip, I looked at the Castrol website. They list Castrol LSX 85W/140 as being recommended for Isuzu diffs.

I think the viscosity rating gives a hint as to what the additive might be doing. The 140 suggests a much more viscous fluid at high temperatures than the more common diff oils.
AnswerID: 14838

Follow Up By: New Jack - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 13:26

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 13:26
Thanks for info folks.

Regards

New Jack
FollowupID: 8967

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 21:57

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 21:57
If its under warranty play their game with the additive, until warranty is out.

the last thing you want is warranty problems cause you saved $1.20 at Supercheap....
AnswerID: 14886

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 22:09

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 22:09
It is the friction modifier they used to put in engine oil, PENRITE sell it as diff addative.
The NULON is good but not the same. It stops the diff from chattering in the clutches when going around corners. It makes the LSD less efective in the bush as it lessens the friction from one side to the other

jol
AnswerID: 14888

Reply By: Member - Cully - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 20:13

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 20:13
Me too...had a look in my Jack record book....I use Castrol LSX 85W/140 in the rear - no problems so far. The diff would only have had the additive for awhile (from the factory) - I started servicing the vehicle mid warranty (so disgusted was I with the deception and near-on fraud encountered at the the dealership). Re the Savvas comment - I had feedback from Castrol at one stage - spoke to Sylvana - seemed to know her stuff - she knew tech aspects of the Jack etc. Message was use the LSX 85W/140 WITHOUT additive - the inconsistency is such a disappopintment eh ? But what do we do ? Castrol still shine, compared to the complete crud that some businesses dish up. For the record, I'm on Dynamax in the donk - will see how the starting goes in winter, but I'm not expecting any problems.
AnswerID: 15123

Reply By: New Jack - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 21:13

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 21:13
Hi folks.
Got the info I needed through Penrite, their rep called me back with the info I needed after I sent them an email. his (Bruce's) advise was as follows. Additive (LimSlip) required if using their mineral limited slip diff oil in Jackaroo 98 onwards, additive price was $12.60 & treats 2 ltrs "sure beats $40 from Holden. The local Auto pro shop didn't have any on the shelf, the bloke at the shop called up the rep & he had the stuff for me the folloeing day "nice to see good service for a change" .

Rep informed me if I use their synthetic next time, an additive wouldn't be required, it's about $62 dollars fo 2.5 ltrs Unfortuately they didn't have this at Super Cheap Auto when i had been looking for it , so i finished up with the mineral oil in my diff before I became aware of the need for this additive.
Castrol were very good too, they replied to my inquiry but told me to use sysnthetic + the holden oil additive. Sounds bloody expensive!! if their is synthetics are so good, why would they add a mineral based additive?( Just a thought )
AnswerID: 15136

Sponsored Links