Simpson Desert this September

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 14:29
ThreadID: 3762 Views:1774 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 4.2 litre petrol GQ Patrol and was looking for advice/tips on carrying fuel. I have searched the forum and it looks like I need to carry between 195/200 litres of fuel. My GQ tank is 95ltrs. Replacement tank for about $900 only gives me another50ltrs. An auxilliary tank is $1,100 and gives another 70ltrs. Gerry cans a certainly cheaper however I need five and where to carry them. Too much weight to put them all on the roof rack. What has been your experience?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 15:11

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 15:11
David,
How many passengers?

We did the simpson last year and while the Diesels were OK for fuel, those with petrols needed to carry more in Jerries.
One of them removed the back seats and built a woden frame where the back seat bolts, he then placed all his jerries in a row and tied them up using anchor points he built on the woden frame.

If you are carrying passengers and need the rear seats you will need to make some room in the cargo area and shift the lighter items to the roofrack.
Will
AnswerID: 14847

Follow Up By: Member - David - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 15:39

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 15:39
Will, thank's for the reply. Passengers will be teenage daughter and five year old son. The vehicle has a draw system and fridge slide I built myself, it includes a Milford cargo barrier. I guess realistically I will have to decide to either spend the money on an auxilliary tank or carry jerry cans empty until I need them and then rearrange the gear in the cargo area and roof rack.

Cheers, David
FollowupID: 8975

Follow Up By: Member - David - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 15:56

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 15:56
Oops thats Wife, teenage daughter and five year old son,
Cheers David.
FollowupID: 8978

Reply By: David - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 21:17

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 21:17
David,

I would hang the expense, get a LR tank. You could always sell it when you get back and recoup some money. It is one of those trips we all want to do so don't put your life or your familys at risk. With a pile of gear in the back bouncing around it won't take much for some metal on metal contact and remember id that happens around petrol.......one spark and your gone!

From another David who also want's do do the Simpson in September. How many are travelling in your group?
AnswerID: 14875

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 23:54

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 23:54
David, We put a 166L Long Ranger tank in an 80 series, some years ago.Of the few accessories we have, this would be the best. Fuel is never any worry, and have never holed the tank - yet. Range is over 1500 K's, at highway speeds. Vehicle feels a little heavy when full, but you soon get used to it. Have it there ready for the big trip. Hooroo...
FollowupID: 9002

Follow Up By: Member - David - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:35

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:35
David, four of us in all, red GQ, red Range Rover, blue GU, green 100 series Landcruiser. Should be there the week before and including QLD school holidays in September, if you see us stop for a chin wag and a cold one.
Cheers David.
FollowupID: 9020

Reply By: Member - Howard- Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 21:18

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 21:18
David,
wouldn't recommend petrol within cabin of a vehicle.
personally I cannot see the cost of long range tanks justified unless your a tour operator working all year.
As far a jerry cans on roof go I dont know what all the Cr*p is about.
I carried 5 (only filled when needed)accross the back of a homebuilt roofrack of my petrol 80 series for 13500 km last year. In fact with all the other gear including 2x spares and big box of bits and pieces like chainsaw, spares ,tyre changing gear oils etc. I had almost 250kg on the roof.
Did Gunbarrel, GibbRiver /mitchel falls/bungle bungles /tanami/old ghan rail etc no issue
just dont hook into corners to hard you dont get bodyroll
therefore no problems
Weightwise iIts not much different to boat /outboard motor, spares tyres I used to carry on the top of the old 60 series diesel where fuel capacity wasnt a problem.Carted that to the cape and around gulf over 2 years again no probs.

Just make sure the roof rack is a strong steel one.
regards
Howard

AnswerID: 14877

Follow Up By: Tony - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:21

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:21
I'll go along with that Howard, I carried 5 jerry cans on the roof of a FJ40 with a bit extra body roll but as you say slow down on turns and keep the vehicle level as possible. Travelled Simpson, Tamani,GRR across the top then Cape York, this was all in the late 70's no By-Pass road then and no Barge either.

Space the drums out, make sure your rack is full gutter mount (ARB) and use them as soon as you have the room in the tank, even if its one every time you stop for a cuppa.

Regards Tony
FollowupID: 9019

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 22:03

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 22:03
Where are you going in the simpson, bleep I tow a trailer over there in a petrol Jeep, and use about 200litres. i guess you would use a little les than that. try 4k/l, 700km is 175 litres.
A good way is to make a frame in the back seat area and secure them, not my cup of tea but one that has been used. The replacement looks good, or put that money toward a good trailer., then add about a 1/3 more fuel for that
cheers jol
AnswerID: 14887

Reply By: Member - David - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:50

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:50
Thank's everyone for your replies its given me food for thought, I'll mull it over some more. I am leaning towards a long range tank as we do a reasonable amount of travelling and petrol GQ's would have to be one of the thirstiest things on the planet. Safe trips to everyone.
Cheers David
AnswerID: 14919

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:04

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:04
David, I think the 200 L is a gross over-estimate of your requirements. I took that advice when I had a Paj and took the extra petrol as jerries on the roof rack. As it turned out we only used 89 L, and didn't need any extra at all. As far as carrying the weight up top goes it does affect handling and increases risk of duco to road contact. So as you use fuel from your tank transfer jerries as soon as you are able. There are so few places in Australia where more than a standard tank is needed between fuel outlets that I would find it hard to justify the cost of LR tanks. For the very occasional longer trip jerries do the job safely and economically.
AnswerID: 14926

Follow Up By: Member - David - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:17

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:17
Bob, thank's for the reply. Have no experience of that particular trip so my fuel estimate was gained from trek notes of similar vehicles/engine size and type on this forum. I'm happy to be guided by those with some first hand knowledge.
Cheers David
FollowupID: 9026

Sponsored Links