Gibb River should I take the canoe ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 23:22
ThreadID: 3773 Views:1629 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Canoe to Gibb River is a long way from the Central Coast NSW - would it be worth it and is the rivers / gorges fresh or salt - don't like the idea of salty crocs and canoes. Will stop at Lawn Hill NP on way where I believe you can hire canoes (which might be enough).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: royce - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 23:52

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2003 at 23:52
We carried a big roto mold canoe for a lot of trips. Sometimes,never got to use it! Now we carry a couple of inflateables. Better. No help for your questions sorry. Royce
AnswerID: 14898

Reply By: Coops - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:47

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:47
I wouldn't but check out what others opinions are before taking my word for it please as I'd hate to be the only one responsible for your decision. I don't think you'll use it often enough for all the space that it's going to take up. Old Mornington hire them out and I can't really think of anywhere else where you would use it to be honest.Coops
AnswerID: 14973

Reply By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 20:49

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 20:49
Like Coops said..."I wouldn't" A 15 foot croc next to a 16 foot Quintrex Fishfinder was enough for me !! Scary stuff. I doubt whether you will get the use out of it. Most places in the far north where canoes can be used will have them for hire. It's a long way to lug a wind resistant weight. There are lots of billabongs and waterholes in the far north BUT is it safe to canoe there? Cheers, Willem
AnswerID: 14989

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:28

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:28
I have to say I tend to agree. But the Ron & Viv Moon books always have a section of canoe touring. They seem to think there's merit but in our experience, it just isn't practical and these days where these a good stretch of river for canoeing (be it Lawn Hill NP, Durack River, Mornington etc) the operators there have canoes for hire. Save yourself the hassle and hire one when conditions are ripe for it!
AnswerID: 15011

Reply By: Beddo - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 19:54

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 19:54
Thanks everyone, so it seems there are a few places to hire canoes that way. Yep I don't like the idea of canoes and salt water !!!
With the price of fuel at the moment taking the canoe would be a real drag on fuel economy and pocket, Thanks Beddo (Jeff)
AnswerID: 15116

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 13:12

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 13:12
Hi Beddo,

Got to agree with the others about canoes and crocs. Remember back in the '80's, a women was attacked by a croc as she paddled on one of the Top End rivers (Adelaide River???? Can't recall exactly). Anyway, she copped a bit of a bagging from some people but what most didn't know was that she was staying with a NP ranger and was actually using a NP issued canoe on suggestion from her friend, the ranger. After the attack (she survived), NP's policy of supplying canoes to their ranges was changed. These days you don't see them out in anything less than a substantial tinny.

As Michelle said above, places where canoing is good and safe are well catered for with caneos for hire.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 15184

Follow Up By: Beddo - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 18:08

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 18:08
So don't trust Rangers when they say it will be alright - no worries - its safe ! Thanks for the tips. Cheers Beddo (occupation with held seeing my occupation is not trust worthy). LOL
FollowupID: 9366

Sponsored Links