Suspension upgrades vs Voiding factory warranty

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:51
ThreadID: 3792 Views:1825 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but does anybody know if upgrading shocks and springs for a trip round Aust will void the manufacters warranty? Vehicle is 2001 Jackaroo petrol and I'm upgrading to cope with additional vehicle load and a camper trailer .I plan to keep the originals just in case.

Cheers Matt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rusty - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:28

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:28
If you are talking about new car warranty then it will be fine. The upgraded suspension components will carry their own warranty and the rest of the vehicle will be covered by the manufacturer.

AnswerID: 14930

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:44

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 12:44
Be careful with this assumption. You may find, as I have, that whilst the vendor will warrant the replacement item, they will not warrant any peripheral damage. The vehicle manaufacturer may not honour their warranaty if they believe the aftermarket component led to the damage.

For example, if you replace the suspension, particularly with a lift kit, and it fails, also causing steering component failure, you may find the suspension is covered by the aftermarket vendor warranty but not the steering. Then the vehicle manaufacture will refuse to cover the steering because it believes the up-lifted replacement suspension led to the sterring componentry failure. Who pays for the steering repairs? You do! How do I know? Bitter experience. Worse still, the vehicle and suspension manufacturers may both argue the failure of the other component led to the damage of their component and neither pays and the fourbie doesn't get fixed while the argument rages.

Advice: check with your vehicle manufacturer (preferrably Head Office, not a dealer) and get it in writing, if you can.

Luck!
FollowupID: 9029

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:32

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:32
Easy way to find out, Ask your Holden dealer, and get it in writing on a company letter head if they say its OK to do it.
AnswerID: 14931

Follow Up By: Member - Colin- Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 13:02

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 13:02
I would also get confirmation from the manufacturer. The reverse situation hapened to me with Subaru. The dealer was playing 'hard to get' in regard to a gearbox issue as the car was 12 months out of warranty. When I contacted Subaru Australia they told the dealer to fix the problem under waranty! I didn't have anything in writing, but I recorded the phone conversations. In reard to lift kits, I have a copy of GUIDELINES FOR THE USE OF LIFT KITS ON 4WD VEHICLES under consideration in WA - I will post it as a new message.
FollowupID: 9034

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 13:29

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 13:29
There was an example recently on this forum, where a 2" suspension lift on a Prado led to warranty hassles after a CV joint and spider gears in the front diff failed.

Are you raising the rear only, or front too? If you're doing the front, make sure you replace the torsion bars with heavier duty units rather than just winding up the standard bars. Also try not to raise the front more than 25mm otherwise you will be restricting downward wheel articulation too much.

Either way, if all is ok with the vehicle then the lift shouldn't cause you any hassles. But be prepared for a warranty battle if there is a problem, simply because everyone is focused on keeping down costs these days.

AnswerID: 14945

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 15:45

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 15:45
Just on that, there was a Jeep on a tow truck coming out of Gary Leckie Nissan/Jeep in Frankston the othe rday.

I asked George behind the counter what the go was, he said it was broken driveline parts, I THINK...

Something anyway there was NO warranty as the car had a body lift, and as part of the kit there was supposed to be stronger something fitted, it wasnt and this caused the failure.. was being taken away else where to get fixed, non gen parts were cheaper. it was $1k+ damage!

Be careful with this dude, could end up costing you...
FollowupID: 9062

Follow Up By: Savvas - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:07

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 17:07
One other thing to watch out for Jack's. They can break the halfshafts on the front end if the wheel travel has been extended too much. That's another reason to ensure you don't lift by more than 25mm on the front and allow for a bit of travel.
FollowupID: 9072

Sponsored Links