Air Conditioner

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 20:42
ThreadID: 3806 Views:1402 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
The Air Conditioner water drain on our car has a far greater flow from it than other vehicles of the same make and model.
I haven't noticed any bubbles in the sight glass on the round thing under the bonnet.
Despite all of this, it still keeps the inside air cold.
Do I have a problem, or am i worried about nothing?
Thanks,
Trev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:04

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:04
Trevor,

I'm no air conditioner or refirgeration expert, but I thought amount of the water that drains was based on the amount of humidity in the air. As warm humid air cools, the moisture condenses into water and drains away. Maybe your air conditioner is working very efficently or better than others.

As long as the water isn't coming out of the radiator its not something I would worry too much about :-). My 2 cents worth.

Paul
AnswerID: 14993

Reply By: CJ - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:11

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 21:11
Trevor

Have a taste of the water. If it is should be pure, like rainwater, you shouldn't have a problem, but if it is contaminated it may be something else as Paul is suggesting.

CJ
AnswerID: 14994

Reply By: Will - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:06

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:06
Trever
Paul is spot on, dont be concerned.
Will
AnswerID: 15009

Follow Up By: wayne - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:40

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:40
not only that....

but it depends whether you have it on recyle or fresh, as you get a lot more water from the fresh air cycle than when you recyle the cabin air..

so maybe alot of people have it on recyled
FollowupID: 9110

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:56

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 22:56
I agree with all of these I think that the next time I am running low on water I will collect the water that comes out of our vehicle. I reckon on some days I end up with over half a litre on the garage floor. From the responses above I also guess that it could be used for battery water as it should be distilled/clean water.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 15021

Follow Up By: CHRIS - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 15:15

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 15:15
DAVID,
I may stand correcting but I was under the impression that distilled water should not come into contact with any metal or it defeats the purpose. The condensor coil under the dash is either copper/ brass or aluminium and the moisture evaporates from contact with the cold coil and then runs out.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 9146

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 15:35

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 15:35
I do not know either, I would have just thought that distilled water had no chemicals or minerals in it. I could not understand how coming into contact with metal would matter. Maybe it does let's see if someone can answer this.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 9148

Reply By: royce - Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 23:19

Wednesday, Mar 12, 2003 at 23:19
So have you got this Trevor? The water is not draining from the airconditioner gas i.e. the insides..... it is condensation from the air inside your vehicle. It's like the droplets on the outside of a cold bottle or glass. It collects and runs out this pipe.... so it's distilled water.. good stuff. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 15027

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 08:24

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 08:24
Trevor ... It's not a problem, my Jackaroo's aircon water drain spouts heaps of water. Sometimes I think it's enough to water the lawn. Then again, maybe not :-).

As for the bubbles in the sight glass, they should only be noticeable when the aircon compressor first engages. After that it should run clear. If you are getting continuous bubbles, then you are running low on gas.

Also, there can be a situation where you get no bubbles whatsoever. If the aircon compressor is engaged and the air is not cooling, the gas is basically gone out of the system.
AnswerID: 15044

Reply By: crfan - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:01

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:01
I once followed a guy in a landcruiser that must have had his drain for the air cond stuck in his chassis rail. had water coming out all over the place when he turned or accelerated out the back out the front out the side looked funny as hell.
AnswerID: 15053

Follow Up By: Trevor - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:13

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:13
Thanks to everybody who answered and put my mind at ease.
Now I can sit back, relax and enjoy the comfort.
Cheers,
Trev
FollowupID: 9207

Reply By: David - Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 20:10

Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 20:10
A lot of people use their aircon on fresh and wonderwhy it doesn't work so well- if more people used recirc they might be surprised at how their aircon works better, uses less fuel(compressor runs less) and better air quality as you are not breathing in everyone elses fumes.
Also- you can definitely NOT use the water for your radiator---- tap water would be better.
AnswerID: 15322

Follow Up By: Jeff - Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 21:16

Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 21:16
In regards to fresh/recirc option on air-conditioners, and I also notice Wayne did use his air-con on fresh alot. Because you are constantly sucking in fresh air, it will always have humidity in it. But if it's on recirc, the humidity in the cabin eventually drops and little water is left to condensate. One word of warning though on using recirc all the time, dangerous levels of carbon dioxide can build up from your own breathing and cause fatigue. Most modern cars don't fully recirculate the air even if the switch is on recirc, they always have a little fresh air coming in becuase of this reason.
FollowupID: 9336

Sponsored Links