HOW BIG A TANK

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 00:04
ThreadID: 3817 Views:1699 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was really interested in the idea of using an old air con. compressor as a belt driven compressor for general air usage for obvious reasons.(speed and power of airflow) I submitted a question a while ago when there was a lot of talk about them. AS I own an early TD 80 series there is next to no room for the extra compressor. (unless anyone has done the work since and can help me it seems just too difficult to achieve with my limited technical experience.)

I am going to buy a Max Air compressor and tank mount it. My first question is how big should the tank be to be able to blow up 4 305/70 16's from 18 - 34 psi, without needing to charge the tank again?

Secondly what is the best tank system to use and where should it be mounted on the vehicle?

I would like to try the installation myself as I enjoy learning about this sort of thing and would like to hear stories of people who have done similar projects.

Am I going the right way for ease of use or should I be thinking differently?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:32

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 17:32
Goto a truck wrecker and get the biggest one that will fit under your car.
AnswerID: 15104

Reply By: firey - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 21:42

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 21:42
Charlie, I have seen a 9kg gas bottle used as a tank for stored air if you have the room. This was on a L/C ute that does the winch challenge.
Just something to consider.
Regard's
Firey
AnswerID: 15145

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 22:42

Thursday, Mar 13, 2003 at 22:42
Charlie.
There is a direct relationship with pressure and stored volume of air, so find out your maximum tank pressure and your tyre volume. Subtact 34 from your maximum pressure and then divide 34 into the result, this will give the ratio of tyre volume to tank volume. Eric.
AnswerID: 15155

Follow Up By: charlie - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:12

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 10:12
Thanks for the help fellas I will look into it this weeka nd hopefully if successful let you know how it goes. Any more info on engine driven compressors would be of great interest
FollowupID: 9215

Reply By: Bruce from Budget Signs - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:26

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 12:26
Gday Charlie
dont forget what ever size tank you get to make sure it has a safty release valve, as for using a air conditioner pump for air i ahd amate who coyld not fit one under his bonnet so he mounted it on aboard in the back of his car & conected it to a starter moter to drive it solved the placement problem 7 seemed to work quite well
Regards bruceBudget Signs
AnswerID: 15178

Follow Up By: Truckster - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 18:18

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 18:18
Very good point, Pressure relief valve and drain valves to let water out..
If you shop well at the wreckers, you should get one with both for around $50.

Mate has 3 in his GQ!
FollowupID: 9248

Reply By: Member - John- Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 16:57

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 16:57
Charlie I agonised over this matter of stored air in tanks and compressors. I have an ARB portable outfit now. After sand driving it takes me about 4-5 mins to reinflate my AT's from 15psi. I didn't think this was a big deal. I also am reluctant to add additional tanks under that can cause flotation problems in deep water, and as already mentioned you have to have fail safe safety valves that are protected from damage and dirt.
I now always carry one or two spares depending on the trip and inflate these to 75 psi (you may get more in some tyres but check with the supplier/manufacturer). I carry a length of air hose sufficient to go from the spares to each wheel, fitted with clip on attachments and an inline shutoff valve near one end. I also have a nozzle for blow jobs (keep it clean, you know what I mean) but you have to remove the valve and be quick with clipping on the hose. If I use any air I just top up the spares at the next servo or use my portable compressor. I called this the KISS method and so far it has served me well.
Cocka
AnswerID: 15197

Reply By: Janset - Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 14:46

Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 14:46
Hi Charlie.

I have had 2 troopies a FJ45 and now a HZJ75 both fitted with A/C type compressors and air storage cylinders. Both were/are truck brake cylinders. The FJ was 1.5 CF capacity and now it is a 1 CF capacity.

Now my point and what is always forgotten to be mentioned when the subject of air storage and tyre inflation is raised.

The only benefit that you will get with a air cylinder storage unless it is a "HUMONGOUS" size is on the first tyre and or perhaps partway into the second tyre benefit as the stored air has now been expended.

The second thing here to consider now that the air pressure in the tyre and the cylinder are the same pressure and you now have to bring both the tyre and the cylinder up to the desired pressure as they are as one unit now, (extra volume) a catch 22 situation.

So you see the slight initial advantage that you may have gained in the beginning would now be working against you. I dare say if your storage cylinder was say 90 litres, which is totally out of the question, then the storage cylinder would do exactly what you want it to do.

Where the storage cylinder does stand out is if you have to use smaller air burst for some particular task, say to run a air drill or to a lesser degree a rattle gun.

Now you may ask, if the storage cylinder really is not all what it is cracked up to be then why do I have them fitted.

The answer is, by the time my compressed air goes though the initial primary small cylinder, (A 6inch boxed section of rectangular steel that houses the blow off valve and the drain cock and fitted into my front bumper) and then is piped back to the larger main cylinder mounted under the vehicle beside the gearbox and protected by the g/box bash plate, my air is cool and completely free of any oil that has a bad habit of also being pumped out with the air on any a.c type compressors.

Regards
AnswerID: 15308

Reply By: charlie - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:23

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:23
Thanks for the reply Janset, that is certainly food for thought. Don't suppose you have heard of anyone putting a/c compressor in an 80 series GXL diesel?
AnswerID: 15353

Sponsored Links