This Thread has been Archived
I am getting signs of mildew on our canvas

Any tips on stpping, removing it?

Thanks in Advance

Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 15:17

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 15:17
Milldew or mould ?....exit mould..for mould works well and a product called citroclean I think also does a good job...dont know about milldew...cheers
AnswerID: 15195

Reply By: Member - Alpaca - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 17:31

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 17:31
Speak to your local swag or canvas manufacturer. There are products available that I used years ago but can't remember what they were.Alpaca
AnswerID: 15202

Reply By: Member - Alan- Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 20:52

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 20:52
Tea tree oil is a very strong antiseptic and anti-mould/mildew agent. It is important that you get a good quality tea tree oil - the strong anti bacterial and mould attributes are in the oils that are grown in specific regions in Norhtern NSW and QLD- strange but true. There may be some other places in the country, but I am not aware of them.
Tea tree oil is water soluble so it can be diluted and spayed.
It smells a bit so you may wish to air it for a while after spraying.
I would talk to a canvas supplir in the Ballina to Byron bay area who is likely to be on top of tea tree oil use for canvas. Maybe call the guys at Kimberley Kampers in Ballina - they may give you some worth while input.
AnswerID: 15213

Reply By: Member - Alan- Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 21:06

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 21:06
Tea tree oil is a very strong antiseptic and anti-mould/mildew agent. It is important that you get a good quality tea tree oil - the strong anti bacterial and mould attributes are in the oils that are grown in specific regions in Norhtern NSW and QLD- strange but true. There may be some other places in the country, but I am not aware of them.
Tea tree oil is water soluble so it can be diluted and spayed.
It smells a bit so you may wish to air it for a while after spraying.
I would talk to a canvas supplir in the Ballina to Byron bay area who is likely to be on top of tea tree oil use for canvas. Maybe call the guys at Kimberley Kampers in Ballina - they may give you some worth while input.

Let us know how you go.
AnswerID: 15214

Reply By: stephenjNQ - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 22:56

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 22:56
my swag had mildew on it ,spoke to the people where i bought it from ,they said use warm water with a mild detergent,they said if i used to hard a detergent i would have to get it re waterproofed.its a pain having to clean it when i haven't used it yet . arwell the joys of living in the tropics.hope this is of some help.
regards stephenjNQ.
AnswerID: 15230

Reply By: Kriss from Longhorn Bags 'N' Swags - Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 16:31

Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 16:31
Hi,
Firstly...DO NOT USE EXIT MOULD ON CANVAS!!! Now I have that out of my system...the exit mould will take the colour out of your canvas and most definitely weaken it! Exit mould is a great product for shower screens etc., but not on canvas. Unfortunatley once mould have started to breed, the spores are extremely hard to get rid of and especially when they are breeding in a natural fabric like cotton. Usually the only way to get rid of them is via a hypochlorite (bleach) solution, but this is not suitable for canvas. If you do use a detergent of any kind, be sure to throw away anything you have used to scrub it with and don't be too wild with the scrubbing as mould spores will spread like wildfire.You will also have to have the canvas reproofed (most canvas manufacturers can put you onto a good product). I have a canvas care label which I have scanned and could email to you if you like. I have told you a lot about what not to do, but I haven't been much help with what to do. I am going to contact the manufacturer of our canvas and see what advice they have. We are constantly being asked this question and you have prompted me to find out exactly what can be done. The care label tells us how to prevent mould, but not how to get rid rid of it. If you would like a copy of the care label, send me an email to longhornbns@yahoo.com.au. I will email my canvas supplier right now and let you know when I get a reply.
Cheers
Kriss
AnswerID: 15311

Sponsored Links