Tubless Rims

Submitted: Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 17:32
ThreadID: 3845 Views:1366 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all

A mate of mine has just bought a 130 Defender. We have discovered that it has tubless tyres fitted to standard defender rims. However the rims are marked tubed. Is this an issue? I imagine that there might be some ramifications in regard to insurance if there ws a problem. Can you just put tubes in the tyres to make them conform or are tubbed tyres different?

Thanks in advance.

Ben
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Topcat - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 18:05

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 18:05
Hi Ben,
The probable reason the the rims are marked tubed is because the rims are not fully sealed (as with split rims) which allows air to escape when a tyre is fitted without a tube. Just fit a tube of the correct size to the tyre size plus a dust cover which fits over the tube section which would be exposed to the rim & that should be OK. As far as I know most tyres that can be fitted to tubeless rims can be fitted to tubed rims.Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 15205

Reply By: Eric - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 22:33

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 22:33
Ben.
If the tyres are holding air they are ok, the tube marking will refer to the profile of the safety bump on the rim, if you put tubes in the tyres you will have problems with air traped between the tube and the tyre case, tube type tyres have a textured surface on the inside, its hard to imagine an insurance person picking up that detial. Eric.
AnswerID: 15227

Sponsored Links