Menu and Performance

Submitted: Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 19:35
ThreadID: 3851 Views:2108 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have had a few issues reported latley that some browsers have been rendering the site slower since we implemented the new menu.
Mac Users
Specifically all MAC platforms using IEwere having very bad system performance. For all MAC users I have changed the system menus to call a new Layout which has no dynamic menus in it at all - you do not need to do anything because your browsers will already be loading the new layout.
If you are a MAC user and the system speed was not a problem in the dynamic menu layout please send me feedback and tell me that it was OK with the dynamic menu.

All Users
I have not had any issues reported generally in the last few days. Understand that I have been refining the site and forum code significantly this week. If you wish to try the MAC layout or you are a MAC user and want to compare the difference in speed then you can change the layout by selecting Forum view NON Dynamic and come back using Forum view Dynamic. This setting will be lost when you leave ExplorOz and come back later. Please send me feedback with your thoughts on the difference between the two.

NOTE: The MAC NON Dynamic menu is not as good for navigating to content pages as the new dynamic menu which gives you all of the content available in one go and the NON Dynamic system will mean that you need to navigate down the levels of the site to find the information you require.

Of course we will take into account all of the feedback we get and make a decision about the future of the menu system and site navigation based on what you tell us. Note - there is no other performance issue, other than the coding of the menu so I have to get it right.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ronnie - Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 21:59

Friday, Mar 14, 2003 at 21:59
Hi David
No problems on my home PC running Windows98, but away on the laptop running XP very slow to load, don't know if it is a line problem or not as I will try the laptop at home next week
Regards
Ronnie
AnswerID: 15220

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:14

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:14
David
I have just tried comparing a Mac and a PC laptop. Switching the dynamic menu on or off doesn't seem to make much difference on the Mac, the rendering of the page is very slow -taking about 12 seconds to render when going to a response, or returning to the forum. The Toshiba running IE on Win ME is almost instant. In every other internet situation there seems to be no difference in browsing speeds etc. The Mac is running IE 5.2 under OS 10.2.4.
AnswerID: 15248

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:54

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:54
Bob, Please use the Feedback form as this will allow me to capture the information I need to adjust the menu program to allow this combination to use the dynamic menu by default.
Also please do the same with the ones that don't work as I can also put these into the system.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 9281

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:23

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:23
David, I have just tried Safari on the Mac. Agonisingly slow with dynamic on (28 seconds to open your post from the forum menu) but as quick as the PC with dynamic off.
AnswerID: 15249

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:36

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:36
Same with Netscape 7.0
FollowupID: 9279

Reply By: Member - Sam - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 13:23

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 13:23
David,

No problems on either of my machines (Dell P4 Precision M50 Laptop and PIII Desktop). Both are running latest XP fully patched with latest build of IE 6. Neither are having any problems. Pages load fast and menus work well. Did have an initial hiccup with the menus (transparency of some parts didn't render properly) when i first loaded the new version of the site. But that I think was a one off and since then have had no issues. Should also mention that this is over a cable connection and have not tried over dialup.

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 15258

Reply By: Member - John- Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 09:24

Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 09:24
Hi David
This is a good follow up to my enquiry and problem. We almost seem to have it right now. Using NS 4.78 my original loading times were around 40sec ater adjusting a couple of broadband settings with Optus we got the time back to about 20 secs. Now with the Non Dynamic selected via your posting we have it down to 5 secs. Still not as fast as my neighbour on the same broadband.
Using IE5 the speed is the same as NS but the fonts look distorted.
My question now is how do I auto load using the non dynamic version ?
John
AnswerID: 15298

Sponsored Links