Prado Turbo Diesel low-down torque

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 09:50
ThreadID: 3863 Views:3530 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Folks, I'm currently looking at buying a 2nd hand Prado turbo diesel, and have test driven a few. Now, from what I'd read, these things are meant to have good low-down torque.Well, I was quite surprised by how much they DIDN'T have belown 2000 rpm. When I was a kid, we were used to driving, or being driven in an old, normally aspirated diesel landcruiser. From what I remember, that thing had great torque from virtually 0 RPM! I know that modern turbo diesels tend to trade off some low-down(LESS than 2000 rpm) for some upper-end power/torque. But, I wasn't expecting for so much torque to be removed below 2000 rpm. Perhaps that's just the trade off with modern, lower capacity turbo diesels. Actually, I'd love a normal aspirated diesel 80/100 series, but they're just too big for my liking(I will be using it in the city occasionally).

By the way, I am going to look into the idea of putting in one of those Powerchips, in the hope that it will give me more low(er)-down torque. Anyone tried one of these?

Stuart
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bernie. - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:25

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 10:25
Hi Stuart
Great choice I would not worry about low down torque
It will keep up with the rest

Dont know about powerchip available I think someone was close to releasing one.
You might try the "Prado group on yahoo" for info if u don't get an answer here.

Cheers Bernie
Prado TD Auto
AnswerID: 15250

Reply By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 13:24

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 13:24
Stuart, As Bernie said don't worry about the low down torque, the other qualities of turbo engine will impress you. After having 2 t/diesel, we feel we'd never have anything else. And c/control really makes a difference too, for long distance cruising.

Think Safari may have a Dtronic chip for the Prado, not sure of other brands. Hooroo...
AnswerID: 15259

Follow Up By: Member - David now Outnabout - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 22:30

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 22:30
Safarii are still a few weeks away from releasing. I spoke to them the other day as ARB have them listed but they could'nt even give me any before or after data.
FollowupID: 9294

Reply By: Hardy - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 14:09

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 14:09
Stuart

I have just bought a Turbo diesel Prado. I was used to driving a 4L Landcruizer with infinte low down grunt. I am very impressed with the Prado and not at all dissatified with the low down power. Toyota have done the right thing and kept a very 'low' low range gear which will get you over anything. Did you feel a lack of torque in the hi range gears? I have noted that the hi gears are made for town driving in a very big way and don't have much torque.

Hardy
AnswerID: 15264

Reply By: Stuart W - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 21:46

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 21:46
Bernie, Bob, Hardie,
Thanks for your thoughts. It is true that the 1st gear, low range is low enough to rip out any tree stump. So yeah, that certainly compensates.

As for the powerchip, check out:

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/twominute/advisor_page_two.asp?pid=Toy0070

They're an Australian-based company that designe replacement fuel-injection maps, and related bits and pieces, by replacing engine management systems. e.g. for the Prado Turbo Diesel, they reckon they increase power from 96kW to 113 kW, and torque from 343Nm to 404Nm! From what I've heard, these guys have a really good reputation and they sell their stuff around the world these days. I'm hoping to obtain a graph from them, showing the increase in torque/power, as I'm particularly interested to see how much extra they have below 2000 rpm. It certainly sounds pretty tempting...

Stuart
AnswerID: 15275

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 23:37

Saturday, Mar 15, 2003 at 23:37
Stuart, if Powerchip can boot the torque figure up to 404 Nm, i wouldn't be giving a stuff about torque <2000rpm. That's getting into 100 series T/D country. And at about $1500 (?) ,that's a cheap upgrade!

Will check that site out. Thanks, hooroo...
FollowupID: 9297

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 09:11

Sunday, Mar 16, 2003 at 09:11
Better make that an upgrade for $2000! Not as cheap, but still a lot of grunt.
FollowupID: 9302

Follow Up By: StephenF - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:46

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 09:46
Before you consider upgrading the torque of your Prado have a look at the Yahoo 90scool site. It seems that there is a problem with the front diffs failing at low kms, especially with the diesel, and Toyota don't want to know about it. More torque could mean more problems.

It's interesting that Toyota make a point of advertising "a larger, stronger front differential for greater reliability and longer life" in the brochure for the new Prado. An admission that the old one wasn't quite up to it?

Stephen.
FollowupID: 9351

Follow Up By: Stuart W - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:12

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:12
Steve,
It is certainly the case that the moment you increase torque, you're going to put extra strain on the engine/drivetrain. I must admit that I'm not particularly interested in "hotting up" the Prado, but I was certainly most interested in increasing torque BELOW 2000rpm. I have heard about this differential issue before, but I understood it was quite rare. I would have thought there would have been more likely to be issues with the CV joints.

I'll have a trawl through 90scool for some more information.

Thanks,

Stuart
FollowupID: 9356

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 22:53

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 22:53
Stuart,

When you test drive the Prado TD, give it a good run and make sure it is well up to operating temp. The computer seems to hold the power and torque back until it gets up to full temp.

Good vehicle - go for it.

Cheers

Phil
AnswerID: 15644

Sponsored Links