Hi lift Jack??

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 08:34
ThreadID: 3885 Views:3753 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A couple of questions regarding the use of Hi LIft Jacks.

I have just been given a Hi lift jack from a mate.

The jack has a mounting bracket attached to it, but it has a square end, which looks like it will fit into the towing mount on my disco. Can I purshase an attachment to fit it to me spare wheel?

Secondly, is there some kind of attachment I can purchase to extend the lifting arm, as it is not long enough to reach under my discovery to the jacking point. I have factory fitted steel side steps, could I lift the vehicle using these?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:10

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:10
Given to you! Lucky you!

attachment to fit your spare wheel, you mean to carry it? yes Kaymar make them... but $$$, and personally I dont want any more weight on the door hinges on my car.. Thats me, but there is a good roof mount you can get, or even Bullbar mounts for them.

High lift jack isnt high enough? I want your car... :-)~

You mean the horizontal part, the arm that comes out and goes under the step/floor/mount etc?? Not sure, never heard of anyone having problems before. I know of seperate mounts for ARB bars, and Towbar toungeholes... Maybe try a landy dealer, or Rangie Spares. They would be able to tell you instantly!

I don't like Hilifts, 2 times Ive used them (albet was fitting lift kits to cars) the car has fallen off the high lift....

They are good for geting you out of wheel ruts and bleep like that Lift and then push the car while its in the air to get wheels out of the rut...

AnswerID: 15351

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:46

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 13:46
Side steps are not strong enough. They make a hook and chain kit for use with the HL jack (hook under bull bar or rear bumper bar) but it means the jacked up vehicle is pretty unstable. I carried one for years and the first time I used it the car slid sideways bending the jack. So I am not a fan and now leave it in the shed when I go bush.
AnswerID: 15369

Reply By: Peter - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 16:52

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 16:52
a high lift jack is a handy tool to have. as long as you are very careful with it. i find that it helps to have a wood or metal board that you can place under the jack to help stabilise it. about 1 foot square and able to withstand the weight.also helps to stop the jack from sinking.
the side steps are a no no for the jack.they will buckle.also if you have an alloy bullbar it can bend as well depending on where you put the jack.
you can get an attachment to extend the reach of the jack. it fits onto the wheel hubs of your vehicle. i have one for my troopie and find it makes it a lot easier and safer. you can pick them up at 4*4 shops.
AnswerID: 15377

Reply By: dougie - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 19:26

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 19:26
A necessary evil.
every time i use mine i swear not use it again, when you put on any part of the car The bull bar or the back bumper
it takes up all the slack in the bolts holding them and puts them on an angle which looks Sh**house.I use 2 x 8 ton bottle jacks block them up and remove 1 and so on a so forth and they fit in the car. Carry a good couple of 2 inch redgum blocks If in doubt
AnswerID: 15398

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 00:48

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 00:48
Dolfin.
Hi lift jacks are a no no as far as I am conserned. I've got 3 of them and I hate every one. If you bogged they just sink as well if you are caught on a rock they will drop the car on you as it clears the rock. Give it to a ex friend and get a good air compressor, letting your tyres down is a much easier way of geting out of a bog than jacks or winches. Eric.
AnswerID: 15456

Follow Up By: Member - Vince - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:11

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:11
Handle hi lift jack with care when operating handle. Square base prevents the jack sinking. Needs a solid metal lifting point; they crumple panels and running boards. Be careful if jacking near centre line of vehicle; vehicle sways.
Flat tyres: windup jacks won't fit under the vehicle. Solutions:
1) dig a pot hole to put jackin - don't stop on a bitumen surface; it also ruins shoulders.
2) find a block of wood to drive flat tyre onto - can damage tyre/tube.
3) Have only seen an exhaust blow up bag used once; you can guess why they are called blow ups - yep it literally blew up.

Bogs: none of the above work
1) Use 2 logs to act as a pviot and lever to raise vehicle and place jack in position (make sure life insurance policy is up to date)

I use square base board (if bogged) , hi lift jack and axle attachment mentioned above. [Check availability for your vehicle. Less sweat, energy time to raise vehicle. The attachment keeps the jack away from panels.]

Flats: Jack a little higher than usual, place wind up jack underneath and raise to desired height; lower hi lift & remove attachment; change wheel; use vehicle weight to help lower jack. Repeat jacking steps to remove wind up jack.

Bogs similar except pack under wheels.

FollowupID: 9442

Reply By: dickwho - Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 08:13

Friday, Mar 21, 2003 at 08:13
ARB gave me one after I had one of their towbars on a Hilux sheer off. I suppose it was bribe of sorts, but it worked. I went out and bought a bracket that fits the ARB bullbar and is bolted on. This prevents the jack from slipping, also there was a chain type attachment that went onto a vehicle wheel and allowed a clean lift.

If you have a TDI Disco talk to me off site as I have a Kaymar rear wheel fitting that will take a high lift jack.

I have had a Landrover come off a high lift jack in a bog and I think they are dangerous as we took every precaution, yet it still slipped. I don't use it anymore.

Look at an alternative as their are plently.
AnswerID: 15763

Sponsored Links