snorkal for petrol engines

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 23:06
ThreadID: 3904 Views:1402 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hiya have looked through forum but cant seem to find much info on snorkals for petrol engine i have a 3ltr gq and wondering if snorkals give any advantage with petrol engines as dizzy ect stops going to deep was thinking more about power economy any help appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 23:23

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 23:23
Well depends on who you talk to.. its like extractors... some say yes some say no.

Mate works for ARB, he says, not really (diplomatic!).. Power wont really be increased as theres nothing really changing.. Same volume of air, but you do sort of get a ram effect.

Economy, well, the 3.0 is just Firsty! For $400 you could try it, you could get a snorkel from a wrecker and try it, but not sure what would fit. where is your air box on the 3.0?? Left or right side of car?
AnswerID: 15430

Follow Up By: diamond - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 23:30

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 23:30
gday mate at the moment i dont have an airbox it used to be on l/h/s but had to remove it to fit duel batterey lpg mixer in usual spot but i had an extra airfilter and changed the inlet from l/h/s to foward facing to save sucking inm hot air from exhaust
FollowupID: 9383

Reply By: Kev. - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 23:32

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 23:32
I wouldnt buy one just for extra power / economy as i doubt youll notice anything .

If you dont intend on doing water crossings , id spend the money on extractors / free flow exhaust if you dont have them.
AnswerID: 15437

Reply By: Bruce from Budget Signs - Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 23:34

Monday, Mar 17, 2003 at 23:34
G day diamond
water does nt have to be deep to get into your motor especialy with a gq to much speed can push your bow wave through the front & as air intake is usally behind the lights it still can get in ,so even in shallow crossing snorkel is of benifit,as for performance, i had one fitted to my diesel gq & found that as long as you kept the filters clean there was definatly some improvement,but the down side is you quickly lost that if you didnt servicxe the air cleaner filters regularly as they quickly become blocked by bugs & dust forced odwn the snorkel
regrads bruce Budget Signs
AnswerID: 15438

Reply By: plexus - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 04:22

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 04:22
Well I'm building my own at this very moment for my FJ60 LandCruiser, as the intake is just behind the headlights, and I've noticed on several occasions that if the bow wave was just a few mm higher...... slurp. Regarding the electrics shorting out, I'm working on that, too, so although it won't be a diesel, it'll still be able to go through water.
AnswerID: 15462

Reply By: Member - Peter- Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:30

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:30
I have a snorkel fitted to my 4 Runner Petrol v6 3lt and yes I would say it has other advantages besides river crossings
1. not sucking in hot air from the engine bay ,the air outside is cooler so more volume per sq inch .
2. less dust in the air filter as it is higher and the dust has a chance to drop from the car in front especially in convoy situations on dusty roads.
3.as voxon stated in an earlier question you can fit a peice of fly wire at the intake to stop larger objects entering .I did this yesterday and was supprised at the rubbish that was stuck at the back of the snokel where the rain water was to escape ,it is now clear and will stay that way .
4 looks cool ha ha
Just my ideas on the subject Peter York 4x4
AnswerID: 15478

Reply By: Voxson - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 12:45

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 12:45
My mate just had one fitted to his gq 3 litre petrol carby model 91...
He says no extra power, no extra mileage, but heaps of extra foreign objects in his airbox..
The only reason for his snorkel is Cape York in July..............
AnswerID: 15484

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:37

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2003 at 22:37
As I hope to go up the Cape this year I have been designing a snorkle for my Nissan G60. The snorkle has to fit on to a Oil Bath air filter. I have taken two air intake bits off XF Falcons and jiggered them together(with No More Nails) to fit over one section of my air filter body. Then some scrap hose to white PVC plumbers pipe up to an air ram(from the wreckers). Because my air filter carrier has various air inlets I am fitting a strip of magnetized tape to them when fording a river(this principle worked well in the past on a fresh air intake on a Suzuki). I will still use a blind for deep creek crossings. The whole thing should not cost more than $50. :-) Snorkles are only good for deep water crossings. Any air-ram effect on performance is neglegible.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 15534

Reply By: Member - Chris - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 13:03

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 13:03
I've got one on my petrol 80 series and it's definitely served it's purpose on a couple of deep crossings. I've taken the time to waterproof the main electrical components ie. siliconing the dizzy cap and underneath drain hole and a couple of sensors which are located above the sparkplugs anyway.
Remember, without snorkels diesels can become inundated with water too and when it happens they're stuck - on a track and with a big repair bill. At least with petrols (more often then not) you can take the plugs out, crank it a few times and generally be away within an hour or two.

Definite other advantages are the cooler air intake especially as petrols create more engine heat, and dust and bug catchers.
Regards
Chris
AnswerID: 15575

Sponsored Links