Distance Education - has anyone used this?

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 08:56
ThreadID: 39239 Views:2693 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. We will be travelling from April next year for at least 12 months & the young bloke (10 yo) will be in year 4 at primary school.
We've been looking into the Distance Education programme, but it seems to be a bit difficult to deal with when travelling.
They want an ongoing itinerary in advance so that they know where to send the lessons every two weeks, ok so far.
My problem is that I can give them an accurate itinerary for the first two months or so, but after that anything could happen, we may change destinations due to weather condition, mechanical breakdowns etc...
Has anyone used this when travelling & how did it work?
Regards.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Redback - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 09:33

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 09:33
Why don't you speak to someone involved in Home School about this, they may have a solution to your problem.

Oh excellent choice of touring rig too ;-))

Baz.
AnswerID: 203661

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 09:53

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 09:53
Baz. Already done that, not really suitable, home schooling is mainly for kids based permanently in remote area.
The person doing the supervising sets the lesson plans & the department approves them.
We just need a bit of flexibility in where to send the lessons, the main reason for getting away & travelling is to not having to be anywhere at a specific time!

Yep capable, comfortable & unpredictable : )>
Jeff.
FollowupID: 463270

Follow Up By: Redback - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:03

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:03
I have a friend who's a teacher, she may know of something i'll have a word to her and see.

Baz.
FollowupID: 463274

Reply By: John and Lynne - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 14:14

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 14:14
We used Distance Ed (SA) years ago when overseas and the kids did very well. Got through the work much quicker than in a class with 30 others so they found it a bit of a drag to go back to school and have to have lessons after lunch! Many projects and activities would fit naturally into the sightseeing you would be doing.

As for the itinerary problem perhaps you should follow this up with someone higher up the food chain. Many itinerant workers use Distance Ed and I shouldn't think it would be too difficult for you and the teachers so long as you stay in the one place (or within reach of one post office) for a reasonable length of time every now and then so mail can catch up with you and you can update the teachers of addresses. You should't need a whole year detailed itinerary but, for the system to work, you probably would need to plan a few weeks ahead. Grade 4 should not present many problems. If distance Ed seems too difficult and you plan for your child to return to his current school you could get a copy of the program, projects, textbooks etc and do it yourself. This does take a bit of effort and commitment to a reasonably regular routine but avoids hassle with mail etc. At that level so long as you can keep up with reading, writing and arithmetic there should be no problems. With all that he would learn on the trip as well he would benefit enormously from the individual teaching and would probably be well ahead when he returned. He couls keep in touch with teacher and classmates through postcards etc, a great reading/writing activity. Keeping a trip diary/scrapbook would also be a valuable execise.
Goos luck Lynne and John
AnswerID: 203704

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 00:00

Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 00:00
Lynne & John.
We tried to get the Primary school that Connor goes to, to supply us with enough material to tide him over on our last couple of excursions, (Cape York 6 weeks, Fraser Island & environs 4 weeks) & all we got was a bunch of stuff photocopied from a text book, some of it asking questions about what colour an object is?? Absolutely NO thought involved on their part.
I think that when we enrol we will give them a best guess itinerary & if it needs to be changed down the track then so be it.

Thanks for all the feedback all, it's help like this that made us join as full members.

Regards
Jeff, Karen & Connor.
Ozrovers.
FollowupID: 463489

Reply By: 666toy - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 18:50

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 18:50
G day,
not sure if still available but i used to do school of the air on my parents property in the Gascoyne aria in WA & i think this would be fully mobile as long as they were aware of where to post school packs (you would need a hf radio)
AnswerID: 203762

Follow Up By: slammin - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 23:50

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 23:50
FWIW most School Of Air and I can vouch definately Alice Springs is Satellite Internet, say goodbye to HF.

Video chatroom - kids get an AV feed from teacher and send Audio back, this will be upgraded to AV 2way in the near future.

regards,

Slammin.
FollowupID: 463487

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 00:33

Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 00:33
I think School of the air falls into the home schooling area.
No good for us.
Thanks.
Jeff.
FollowupID: 463495

Follow Up By: 666toy - Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 03:41

Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 03:41
Might of guessed that ..bloody tec lol . Guess there wont be any more "bad radio days" . That will have to change to bad computer days . Ahh the crackle & hiss of morning roll call on the hf gone . .....Ozrover i will ask a friend of mine who is a teacher if maybe it is possible to receive 6 months of learning through her & bypass all the bureaucratic bs if thats any help to you....666toy
FollowupID: 463504

Reply By: Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 22:29

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2006 at 22:29
Hey Ozrover...give us quick run down on your rig...is it the Td5 or V8 and what do you think of it..on road..off road...and economy?

I'm thinking of getting one...maybe

Thanks in advance
AnswerID: 203803

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 00:25

Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 00:25
Andrew.
This one is actually the wives Disco, Mine died & went to Land Rover heaven about 12 months ago, but she earned a good rest after what she'd been through : )>
This Disco is a 99 series II V8, with ETC/ABS, SLS & HDC.
Economy, we averaged 28 litres per 100 km over 10 000 ks, up to Cape york & back fully loaded & towing the trailer in the pics. lightly loaded with no trailer it gets between 18 & 22 l per/100ks depending on the right foot.
On road super comfy with no major vices. Off road well, we towed the trailer up the OTL on the Cape & only engaged the lockers for insurance, a mates GU coil cab struggled in places that we just dawdled through.
The major problem with these things is no centre diff lock, it had to be re-installed, & electronic problems with the ABS/ETC so far we've replaced the main control module, the rear hub sensors & now a front one has failed.
That's why I fitted ARB diff locks, there either on or off, simple! 245/75/16 MTR help with traction as well, and wear ok. No winch as I've heard of some cracking chassis rails due to the extra weight, haven't needed one yet!
Look right into the TD5s if you want a diesel, when their running well they are awesome but when they fail they do it in a big way, so I've heard.
Regards
Jeff.
FollowupID: 463493

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 00:30

Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 00:30
Oh, I almost forgot, we nearly sold this one to buy a diesel Landcruiser for the around Oz trip, but we couldn't bear to part with it.

It's a Land Rover thing, we're suckers for punishment I suppose. : )>

Jeff.
FollowupID: 463494

Follow Up By: Redback - Friday, Nov 10, 2006 at 08:09

Friday, Nov 10, 2006 at 08:09
ozrover, i spoke to my friend and apart from what you guys have done she reckons that the time spent from school shouldn't be too bad, if you can get access to a computer when stopped that should help and see if you can buy the text books to read, and study, life on the road is a good education too and he will probably benifit from it and be willing to learn if not pressured.

Andrew (WA) i have a 2001 TD5 and like ozrover i couldn't part with mine either, i haven't had any probs with mine it's been faltless for 130,000ks, any she gets a hard time trust me, done the high country, simpson, all over the outback NSW never missed a beat.

The centre diff lock is it's only draw back but is an easy fix with an aftermarket job, one of Land Rovers blonde moments.

Baz.
FollowupID: 463769

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, Nov 10, 2006 at 09:29

Friday, Nov 10, 2006 at 09:29
Redback, Yeah we'll deal with any problems as they arise on the education front, Connor has his own laptop (my old one) & he will have access to ours when he needs the internet, he can't wait to go!

Andrew, (WA) If your looking at getting a disco look at the last of the series 1 TDIs 98 early 99, TDI 300 motor nearly unbreakable if looked after.
TD5s are good, I just don't trust Land Rover electronics, fly by wire throttle etc.. The late 99 series II have a centre diff lock but no activator (easy job to re-fit) 2000 to 2002 I think, have no diff lock at all & a big job to re-install $3000 so I'm told.
If I were looking at getting a used Disco then I'd look at the last of the series IIs, the ones with the headlight/driving light combo, TD5, centre difflock & ETC, nearly unstoppable & economical, : )>

Jeff (Ozrover)
FollowupID: 463786

Reply By: John and Lynne - Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:14

Thursday, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:14
That sounds like a good plan for Distance Ed. It is a pity your local school is so unhelpful but I am sure you will be impressed with Distance Ed. It really won't take a lot of time each day so long as you get a bit organised. Just be confident in your ability to teach Connor - after all you taught him a lot before he even saw a school! Relax and enjoy the experience and don't get too uptight about lessons. You don't want any conflict to develop. Keep it interesting and stop or change activities when he is tired. Remember that what seems very hard today will seem easy tomorrow or next week! Also it is not necessary to be always sitting at a desk or table to be learning! Be flexible. And it is not necessary to be perfect at everything all the time - for him or you.
Have a wonderful time. Connor is so lucky!
Lynne and John
AnswerID: 203847

Sponsored Links