Rear windows on patrols

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 15:09
ThreadID: 3931 Views:1359 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I plan to cover the rear windows on my GU patrol with 5mm perspex. I have heard about suction caps that are strong enough to hold on the perspex, if anyone knows where these are avaliable, or other methods of protecting the rear window it would be greatly appreciated, thanks Danny.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David now Outnabout - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:10

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:10
Danny,
Just a silly question but why would you cover the back window. Most windows I know that get broken are from rocks hitting a towed trailer and bouncing back hitting the window. If this happens you will probably get peppered paintwork as well. Wouldn't you be better of getting to and stopping the source of the problem rather than trying to deal with the end result. ie get a decent across the back large rubber mudflap or install a stoneshield on the trailer that will deflect the rocks downward?We have so little time to enjoy our land
AnswerID: 15583

Follow Up By: dickwho - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 08:53

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 08:53
Being the victim of a broken rear window on the Birdsville Track I invested in one of those foam sleeping pads. I got mine from Big W. Cut to size and taped on using good quality ducting tape it covers the rear window and prevents breakage. Problem is no rear view mirror vision. I have also seen empty beer cartons used. Seems they work and are disposable. Also a good reason to use the contents before attachment.

Check before attaching a large rubber mudflap as I have been told that unless there is a wide gap in the middle the diff does not receive sufficient cooling. Or is this an off road myth?

Dick
FollowupID: 9521

Reply By: Peter S - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:20

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 16:20
Suction caps come off easily.
I support above and suggest a big rubber flap or a shade cloth screen between the car and van.
AnswerID: 15585

Reply By: diamond - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:57

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 17:57
there is another option ive seen its a thick type contact that you can bye from repco ect ive seen it advertised but they were showing it to put on headlights it comes in a sheet and you cut to the shape of the headlight so cant see why you couldnt put it on a window
AnswerID: 15600

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 01:25

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 01:25
Check this out for vehicle proyection http://www.cairns.net.au/~signs/bodyguarding.htm
http://www.cairns.net.au/~signs/headlight_protection.htm
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 9517

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 01:27

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 01:27
Check this out for vehicle proyection http://www.cairns.net.au/~signs/bodyguarding.htm
http://www.cairns.net.au/~signs/headlight_protection.htm
Cheers Rob
Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
FollowupID: 9518

Reply By: jules - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 18:58

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 18:58
Hi check out a site called "obies outback" they have the stuff you need - it is not perspex but some special stuff and they have a special way of attaching it - compared to a rear window replacement it is reasonably priced - I have it stuck on my headlights (got it from a friend) and it is really fantastic - perspex breaks down in the uv rays - this stuff is impervious to uv rays, stones etc - my friend has his Discovery practically covered in it - headlights, taillights, lot s of places over the car as well as the removable one for the rear window - make for all vehicles - also have some good links to some great sites through there and they are really nice people to deal with.
good luck
Jules
AnswerID: 15607

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:06

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 19:06
Mate did a smaller rear GU window,~$900 and Nissan couldnt supply!! was going to be 3-4 weeks... Yipee Skippy.

So do anythign you can to save it!!! I think the large mudflap across the back would be about the best, use thick rubber from somewhere like Clarke Rubber, or Purple Pig in Melbourne.
AnswerID: 15610

Reply By: Member - Darian - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:39

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2003 at 20:39
I'm with David ... would love to know what you are protecting the glass from ... if its rocks, what about the rear panels ? I've been on the learning curve and have had a broken window, even with a rock deflector in use on the trailer (made by the trailer builder - who doesn't go bush of course)....after making my own deflector - wider, higher, hinged, effective ..... stones just don't get the chance to get up there.
Agree with the others on the big rubber flap too..extra insurance...might get onto that.
AnswerID: 15619

Reply By: Member - Danny - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 08:12

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 08:12
Thank's for the replies, we will be towing a Trak-Shak camper fitted with a stone deflector on this trip for about 6 months. Having travelled with other vehicles fitted with every conceivable stone guard and mudflap set up known to man still break rear windows we will cover ours, I'll let you know how we get on , thanks again.
AnswerID: 15654

Follow Up By: Member - David now Outnabout - Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:16

Thursday, Mar 20, 2003 at 12:16
Danny,

I have a TRAK SHAK too and have never lost a window or chipped the paint. The stoneshield they supply does the trick. It should be in two halves, one half attaches to the trailer, the other folds back toward the car and is attached with occy straps to the bumper. This creates a huge upside down "V" shape where any rocks hitting the back are then deflected forward and down to the ground. Just make sure that the shield is fixed so that it is below bumper height.We have so little time to enjoy our land
FollowupID: 9533

Reply By: dock - Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 10:08

Saturday, Mar 22, 2003 at 10:08
Danny, I used perspex held on with the lugs used to tie down tarps on the back of utes.Disadvantage being that lugs have to be drilled and pop rivetted into door/s.( mine is barn doors on an 80 series).Put the perspex up against the the window and mark outline with a felt pen andcut out with a 4inch angle grinder.Knives and files tend to fracture perspex.Try and cut out a little bigger then it needs to be so when when put in place it bows out a bit so can't rub against window.Cost about $60 all up.Hope this helps Dock.
AnswerID: 15842

Sponsored Links